Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: New Hobby

Just so you know Sailing is not a hobby, it is a lifestyle. Some might say it is life itself :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy28 View Post
Siamese for what I will pay for the boat is the survey necessary. I think it will cost almost as much as the boat. I figure with the info from the books I will be able to check the boat out myself. So far the places I have checked for slips will cost more than the boat!
In a word - no. Paying hundreds of $ for a survey of a $1K boat would be absurd. That's why I suggested taking a knowledgeable friend or acquaintance along to help spot any serious or terminal problems you might not be able to recognize.

Failing that, using the "Boat Inspection Trip Tips" sticky on this site will be enough for that sort of expenditure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-12-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Pearson's are generally well-made boats, so you can be confident in the manufacturer; the big question is how well she has been treated over the years. As mentioned, do check out the "Boat Inspection Trip Tips" sticky on this site: Boat Inspection Trip Tips you may want to get a book from the library (e.g. Don Casey "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat'). Ideally take a sailor with you and inspect the boat carefully, looking in particular at the motor, the standing (wire) rigging, and the sails - the more expensive items - as well as checking for obvious defects (like the keel falling off!). She may need some work, which is fine, but what you probably don't want to do is to get a reasonably-priced boat, and then have to drop $1-2K+ before you can sail her!! Good luck - it should be a great starter boat.
Old 10-12-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road
I agree with what others have said about old Pearsons, they're good boats (I have a '66 Triton). For $1000 I wouldn't bother with a survey, but as others have said, take a knowledgeable friend if possible. Definitely do a little research on what to look for when buying a boat.