Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Inconvenient sailing

I had posted this in the "announcements" forum somehow and I don't think many people saw it and I am really looking for advice.

Three yrs ago I sailed my boat, a 28' 1981 S2 from NW FL to Marsh Harbor in the bahamas where i am currently keeping her in a yard out of the water. I expected to be able to spend a lot of time sailing her but both business and personal stuff has kept me from doing so more than 3X a year when I sail with family and friends. She is a very old but good boat and if something happed to her it would not be a problem for me.
However, costs are kinda high to keep her there. It costs $280/month to keep her on the hard plus about $20 extra each month for damp rid and an extra charge every other month to have her checked for water intrusion (rain) so it averages about $350/month. During the winter I could keep her on a buoy for a lot less but I don't like my boat not being cared for. Airfare from Ft Lauderdale to Marsh harbor (round trip) is about $290.

I considered chartering her out but she lacks the amenities that charterers want and I have no intention of installing such things that would cost too much time and money.

She is now registered in the bahamas so I never again have to worry about the crazy cruising fee (about $500/yr after the first yr).

My original intention was to continue sailing south from the Abacos to the Eulethras and then to Georgetown and possibly further south. I told ppl I would go south till I got bored or scared. I did not count on the serious inconvenience. However, getting there and back is part of the adventure that I enjoy.

I could bring her home but would quickly be bored with sailing in local waters. If I brought her home, I think that would be the end of my sailing as sailing her back to the bahamas is simply too difficult and time consumming.

I could sell her as she is the perfect low cost bahamas boat with shoal draft and then simply charter but I don't like chartering. I like using my own boat to go places on my own schedule. Chartering just seems like a wimpy way to go. With a charter boat, I would not have nearly as many adventures because I have taken good old "Ragtime" some crazy shallow places that I'd never take a charter boat.

I am looking for ideas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road
Re: Inconvenient sailing

To be honest, for every benefit in having the boat in the Bahama's you come up with a negative and vice versa for keeping the boat in the states. Sounds like you either have to make the time in order to justify keeping the boat or you sell it which gets rid of the financial burden. Tough situation. Maybe finding someone that is willing to share the financial responsibilities for the use of the boat a few times a year.
Old 10-11-2012

MarioG is on a distinguished road

What about selling a partnership in the boat, I'm sure you could find someone to buy half a boat in the Bahamas.
Old 10-11-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Maybe get a smaller boat that can be stored on its trailer. You could then find a relatively cheap, perhaps non-marina place to store it. I am considering this step myself.
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

You may be not want to hear that. I were you:

1. Sail her back to the States, and sell her. Stop the drain of you hard earned money that you would never see it again and your daily worry of her. This will take its toll on her.

2. Start sailing other people's boat if you don't mind being called deck hand or slave. The benefit are plenty. You can learn from the captain either he is doing it right or not. You can sail many different boats in many different waters. On the side, you can watch and learn how to be an effective leader.

Being a crew, your only expense is traveling to and from where the boat located. When you get good at it, most captain/owner are willing to pay you traveling expense.

3. I would not buy a boat until I can commit to sail her 100% of my time, that means I won't get one until I am ready to retire. If I let my Little Head makes the decision, I still need to commit to sail her at least 50% of my time.

4. It is not just the cost of purchasing the boat. Once the boat is yours, she will immediately deteriorate every single day if you fail to keep an eye on her.

I would rather use my resource and effort wisely. As long as I have my health, the water and the boat with my name on it will still be there when I am ready.

Obviously, it is YMMV. Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-11-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I could bring her home but would quickly be bored with sailing in local waters.
This just makes no sense to me at all. Isn't sailing regularly in your local waters a lot better than your current situation of hardly ever sailing and paying storage fees?

There are hundreds of areas in this world where I'd like to be sailing, but where I'm at now I get to (seasonally) be on my boat within 20 minutes of leaving work and then all weekend long. I'll take that any day over airfare and on the hard.

If it's not the right boat for your local waters, then maybe sell the boat in the bahamas and get something different.
Old 10-11-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

rockdawg, I don't quite agree with your philosophy concerning "do not buy a boat until you are committed to sailing her 100% of the time". If that is the case very few people would buy a boat including those that you would try to sponge off of for your sailing fix. Speaking for myself, I work hard to enjoy life and if owning a boat to sail often but not 100% of the time, well then that is way worth it to me. Everything you do in life does not have to be looked at from a financial point of view. Owning a car is a great example of that. Rarely if ever do you own a car that has been a worthy investment when it was time to replace it. It actually is one of the worst investments the average person can make. So should I bum a ride off of everyone else to avoid this drain of our hard earned cash? If owning a boat even if it can be used when time is limited but it gives you great satisfaction and is your way of relaxation from the hectic life we sometimes lead then in my opinion it is worth every penny spent. Yes boats are expensive to own but if it adds to my quality of life then its worth it. I am retiring in January but if I waited to own a boat only when I could commit to sailing it 100% of the time, I could not imagine giving up all of the great days on the water that owning a boat has given me in the last 40 years.
Old 10-11-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I sailed my local waters for 20 yrs and became bored with it. Cruising is all about the adventure of odd places, meeting unusual ppl, and getting there by your own navigation. I can sail my small boats anytime I want (I built two small 12' boats). I can use my homebuilt Tolman powerboat anytime I want.
I am actually considering building a 36' motorsailor to deal with the fact that as I get older I want a tiny bit more comfort but I'd keep the 28' till the 36 was finished.
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwks4me View Post
rockdawg, I don't quite agree with your philosophy concerning "do not buy a boat until you are committed to sailing her 100% of the time". If that is the case very few people would buy a boat including those that you would try to sponge off of for your sailing fix. Speaking for myself, I work hard to enjoy life and if owning a boat to sail often but not 100% of the time, well then that is way worth it to me. Everything you do in life does not have to be looked at from a financial point of view. Owning a car is a great example of that. Rarely if ever do you own a car that has been a worthy investment when it was time to replace it. It actually is one of the worst investments the average person can make. So should I bum a ride off of everyone else to avoid this drain of our hard earned cash? If owning a boat even if it can be used when time is limited but it gives you great satisfaction and is your way of relaxation from the hectic life we sometimes lead then in my opinion it is worth every penny spent. Yes boats are expensive to own but if it adds to my quality of life then its worth it. I am retiring in January but if I waited to own a boat only when I could commit to sailing it 100% of the time, I could not imagine giving up all of the great days on the water that owning a boat has given me in the last 40 years.
Sailboat is a totally different animal. That is why I treat as such. It is not like a pair of ski, camera, Porsche, Jeep, or plane. Sailing has many forms, some like to polish this boat, some like sitting at dock, some like to sail to the near-by hiding places, some like to travel to other countries. In my situation, I got bored easily. I could not justify the money put into a boat I can't use adequately. Of course you can justified that along with everyone here who have a boat. If you ask many non-owner sailors, many will give you the same reason. In the past, I got satisfactory by buying into a time share boat, charter a sailboat, crewing for other captains, or sailing with friends' boat.

I am glad that owning your boat has worked out for you in last 40 years.. But I don't think I will be happy if I own my boat at my current situation. If you go to the marina, most of the boats hardly leave the dock. The sun and wakes are constantly beating on the boat. What a shame. of course these owners have plenty of money. But I would rather invest this money on something else. More importantly, I am just as happy being boat-less and not to worry about the boat until I have to. Sailing makes me happy, so are many other things.

Prioritizing and planning are the essence in life.

YMMV.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 12-06-2012

drhoward20 is on a distinguished road

am interested in rented for a week or share drhoward20@gmail.com
6054680176 in bahmas boat as is howard