Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Pocketcruisers in central U.S.,and beyond

Haha! That just happened to me as well. There's a little island (glorfied sand bar with trees on it) in the bay here. I sailed my boat right up to the beach and let the kids off to play. You should have seen the faces of people cruising by. Another boat beached where we were and said, "We've NEVER seen a sailboat here. We didn't know it was possible!"

My rudder is about six inches deeper than my hull draft. I need a kickup rudder. Pulling the rudder off and putting it back on is a little bit of a pain.

Luckily on the Morgan, the swing keel doesn't take up any room in the cabin. It swings up into a pocket in the keel. (Which explains my 2 foot draft versus your 1 foot draft... you've got me seriously jealous here!) This little boat has 1400lbs of lead ballast, so the keel doesn't do anything for weight anyway. I never even put it down unless I'm offshore, because it does help for stablity in the swells and for reducing side slip. But most of my time is in the bay where I'm just sailing and not actually concerned about much more than a general direction.

I plan to do quite a bit of overnighting this fall and winter. Do I wish I had more room? Sure, at times. But honestly, this boat is so perfect that to justify a larger boat for me, it would have to be something I lived on. Anything bigger than this one would be worse all the way around on day sails in the bay and severely limit my shallow water gunkholing. Hell- I don't need a dinghy right now! No, if I go bigger it will be something over 30 feet, which will altogether change the way I use the boat. I can't see going slightly bigger, which would accomplish nothing meaningful for my purposes, and still be too small to live on. But that's just me. Horses for courses and all that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

Zephuros is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Zephuros Send a message via MSN to Zephuros Send a message via Yahoo to Zephuros

I was interested in a Tangerine/Harkin 18, but I read today that these boats have big issues with crabbing and unable to hold a true heading.
I live in Oklahoma on a big lake with serious big wind and would hate to not be able to hold a true course due to the shallow draft keel and have to ride at anchor for 3 days waiting for a favorable wind. So I thought I'd find some pocket cruisers and ask you guys about it. WDYT?
Old 10-15-2012

jbogart is on a distinguished road

I sail a 24 ft Paceship Westwind which for me is a perfect boat. It is small enough to trailer around, though I prefer leaving it in a slip. It to has a centerboard but with 2300 lbs of lead in its belly. It is a little tender at first but quickly firms up and is surprisingly fast once you learn to sail her.

She has headroom about 5'6" with room for a small galley. I am converting the forward berths into a decent head and stowage so that I should be able to spend a little more time on the water in Lake Superior around the Apostle Islands.

After a three year refit I can't wait to get her back in the water this spring.