SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Pocketcruisers in central U.S.,and beyond (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92975-pocketcruisers-central-u-s-beyond.html)

saltsmith 10-11-2012 12:08 PM

Pocketcruisers in central U.S.,and beyond

I am a lifetime sailor who has settled happily into pocketcruisers, mainly on nearby lakes in the central southern U.S. region. I own what to me is the ideal pocketcruiser, a Starwind 19 , and was wanting to know if there are very many others who hold a similar interest in either that same class boat, or something similar to it?

Mobnets 10-11-2012 12:54 PM

Re: Pocketcruisers in central U.S.,and beyond

There are a ton of folks interested in smaller pocket cruisers. The definitive periodical on the subject is "Small Craft Advisor". Even though I've upped my boat size to a 32 footer, I'm still fascinated by pocket cruisers and I love reading that magazine. Check out their website.
Mobnets

nccouple 10-11-2012 05:47 PM

I have really enjoyed my trailerable rl24 and have always had dreams and plans on up-sizing to a 30ish something. I would consider it my new beach home. But I must confess, here lately I'm wondering is it really worth it? Marina fees, bottom paint, maintenance, being hours from the house. Sure I have hunch over to get around in my little boat, knock my head all the time but hey Its parked in my back yard I clean and work on it any time I want. Not to mention I can take it anywhere I want, mountains, coast or anywhere the roads take me. I will still probably up size one day, but I don't think I'll sell by beloved little boat.

Kenn43 10-11-2012 05:57 PM

+1 on the small cruising sailboat.

Tom Rand 10-14-2012 03:35 PM

I have a gaff rigged Lyle Hess wood hulled pocket cruiser,very rare but a lot of upkeep. We have gone through the whole boat with our shipwright. Our overhaul is going on two years now, mostly I think because now that we have so much invested we are afraid to sail it. Thinking of getting a cheap 'plastic' boat. Also, it needs an exceptional owner who knows a lot about sailingl It's an around the world boat sitting at the dock. I guess we're builders, not sailors.

Kenn43 10-14-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Rand (Post 933536)
I have a gaff rigged Lyle Hess wood hulled pocket cruiser,very rare but a lot of upkeep. We have gone through the whole boat with our shipwright. Our overhaul is going on two years now, mostly I think because now that we have so much invested we are afraid to sail it. Thinking of getting a cheap 'plastic' boat. Also, it needs an exceptional owner who knows a lot about sailingl It's an around the world boat sitting at the dock. I guess we're builders, not sailors.

I would love to see some pictures. Hope you change your mind and sail her. Seems like a real downer moving from a wood boat you brought back to life to a cheap, plastic boat.

ShoalFinder 10-14-2012 04:25 PM

I am seriously loving my Morgan 22. With two feet of draft with the swing keel up, she goes anywhere. Yesterday on the bay in 20 knots she handled like a dream with me singlehanding her. No reefs, too much jib- I wanted to see how she would act. Even without the keel down she ate it up. Two fingers on the tiller with the boat heeled over on her side... I love this boat.

Waltthesalt 10-14-2012 05:31 PM

I have a Edy and Duff 21 ft Dovekie. It's built to be handy in shallow water though I've hae her in deep waters as well. There's a group interested in light trailer sailors called The Shallow Water Sailors. You can plug in and find info on events at their website.

Tallswede 10-14-2012 05:46 PM

I have a Hunter 23.5 and really like the boat. It is very roomy for it's size with a very nice cockpit. Not a huge amount of storage and water ballast makes for an initially tender boat. I reef early and don't seem to lose any speed. This would not be the boat for ocean crossing but I might be tempted to cross to the Bahamas from Florida with the right weather window. Poking around Galveston Bay and it's bayous seem to be what this boat is made for.

Kevin

nccouple 10-14-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoalFinder (Post 933546)
I am seriously loving my Morgan 22. With two feet of draft with the swing keel up, she goes anywhere. Yesterday on the bay in 20 knots she handled like a dream with me singlehanding her. No reefs, too much jib- I wanted to see how she would act. Even without the keel down she ate it up. Two fingers on the tiller with the boat heeled over on her side... I love this boat.

The swing keel is awesome except for the room it takes up in the cabin. I get funny looks from the power boaters, there wondering what is he doing here. Ive had sea tow hit me up on the radio to see if they could assist, told them I was just fine. Ill bet I draft less than they do at 12". :laugher