Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW from VA to FL

I like the ICW - the quirky little towns, the wildlife, the tremendous variations in scenery. We usually go inside southbound when the nights are long and cold, and outside northbound when the weather is milder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
I like the ICW - the quirky little towns, the wildlife, the tremendous variations in scenery. We usually go inside southbound when the nights are long and cold, and outside northbound when the weather is milder.
I don't mind doing the inside ICW if I am retire and have my own boat and wifey is with me. For the wild life and scenery away from home, I have to wait for my turn. I am sure it will be there when I am ready.
wingNwing likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Neither.

If you really want to go to Oriental, I'd just go down the ICW, then go out Beaufort Inlet.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess we will skip that and head to Morehead City or Beaufort.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-11-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

If you're just trying to make distance, you get the most bang for your buck by going outside and bypassing Georgia. It has the biggest tides/currents and the most windy rivers. Exit at Charleston or Beaufort, SC and come back in at St Augustine - its only a single overnight and saves you about 200 miles of ICW.
rockDAWG and Serendipitous like this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-11-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post

From Norfolk to Oriental NC is less than 190 nm sailing outside, so it will be less than 40 hours non stop. The bad part is going into the inlet at night, or we can skip Oriental to head to Beaufort.
Sorry, but that makes no sense... What are you using for route planning, a restaurant placemat, or something? (grin)

IMO, there's no advantage to going around Hatteras shorthanded, unless you're gonna continue on at least to Wrightsville, or Charleston. Stopping in Beaufort will add a considerable amount to the inside distance, I just don't see the point of doing so with an air draft that is ICW capable... Besides, the first 200 miles of the Ditch to Morehead/Beaufort is one of the nicest parts of the trip inside, and offers the greatest likelihood of being able to sail...

In general, I think the stretch between Morehead and Charleston is the most tedious inside. South of Charleston, the discrepancy between inside/outside distances grows considerably, but at least one can often do a bit of sailing. If the breeze is strong NE, it gets pretty sloppy off the Georgia seacoast, with wives aboard, you might be better off staying inside... It's quite beautiful thru there, some interesting stops and wonderful wild, remote anchorages.

If you plan on meeting crew in Charleston or Savannah, you may want to check airfares first. One way fares in to either place can be frightfully expensive... Depending on where they're coming from, Myrtle Beach might be a more affordable option...

Here's my general take on the trip south, written about 10 years ago... Forget about the recommendation of Oregon Inlet, that's off the table now:

An Insider's ICW | Cruising World

Good luck, have a great trip...

rockDAWG and blowinstink like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-11-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillife View Post
Been thinking the same myself for the trip south. Which inlet would you use to get to Oriental? Ocracoke, Oregon?
I understand Oregon Inlet is not considered to be an acceptable choice for a sailboat. I have been out of it in a powerboat and I would never try it on a sailboat.
blowinstink likes this.
Old 10-12-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

I would second going around Georgia. I did it in a powerboat and it was frightfully boring as well as the worst tides and currents, I had to crab the thing across one spot where another waterway crossed the current was so bad. When are you heading out? I am planning to make the trip from Kent Narrows in the first or second week of November, kinda depends on what the next 2 weeks holds and how much I can get done. Not sure yet if I will have crew, but I would like to tag along with a couple other boats if anyone elses time frame matches my own, if only for parts of it, I doubt my 30' will keep up with a lot of the larger boats going down.
Old 10-12-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Here's my general take on the trip south, written about 10 years ago... Forget about the recommendation of Oregon Inlet, that's off the table now:

An Insider's ICW | Cruising World

Good luck, have a great trip...

Jon,

From your article, you write, "An alternative for cruisers homing in on Norfolk--especially those sailing offshore of the Delmarva Peninsula--is to bypass the first 170 miles of the ICW altogether by continuing past the Chesapeake Bay entrance to Oregon Inlet, at the north end of Hatteras Island. Timed with the passage of a moderate cold front, this route offers marvelous sailing down the Outer Banks, after which it leads into Pamlico Sound, behind Cape Hatteras."

So, if heading south, why not sail down the beach around Hatteras, skip Oregon Inlet and sail down to Ocracoke to enter at Pamlico Sound?

What about a trip from Norfolk to Roanoke Island to stay in the Outer Banks for a few days? Wouldn't outside to Ocracoke be much faster in the right weather?
Old 10-12-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBones View Post
I would second going around Georgia. I did it in a powerboat and it was frightfully boring as well as the worst tides and currents, I had to crab the thing across one spot where another waterway crossed the current was so bad. When are you heading out? I am planning to make the trip from Kent Narrows in the first or second week of November, kinda depends on what the next 2 weeks holds and how much I can get done. Not sure yet if I will have crew, but I would like to tag along with a couple other boats if anyone elses time frame matches my own, if only for parts of it, I doubt my 30' will keep up with a lot of the larger boats going down.
Bones, we are heading south around in the month of Nov from Baltimore. Our cruising speed is around 5, so it is not real fast. How far south will you be going?

Fine Print:
Old 10-12-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

After studying the NOAA chart last night, yes I agree the inlets in the outer bank look dicey. So the alternative from Norfolk is that we will head further south to Morehead City or Wilmington. My questions are:

1. What kind of weather window we should aim for in Norfolk
2. What are our Plan B or C destination if the weather turns bad?

Fine Print: