Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
ICW from VA to FL

Which part of ICW is most boring to motor south?

I have only motored most of the FL part of ICW. It was not too bad, plenty to see along both sides. Yes, there are plenty of bridges to go thru and I don't really mind.

I wonder how is like for the other part of ICW that we should consider go outside of ICW. We need 52 ft clearance or 6 ft water; I don't think it will limit our choices.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW from VA to FL

I did the ICW northward from Florida to the Chesapeake this summer. I'm glad I did it just to have seen it. I jumped in and out quite a bit. When I go south next I will probably go outside most or all of the way. Inside was neat to see but tiresome in a sailboat with 50 ft air draft and 5 ft draft. Lots of narrow and shallow water in the Carolinas and Virginia between Norfolk and Cape Fear. Not much scenery, other than swamps, which are pretty but can get old after a few days. Plenty of places to anchor without trouble.

I recommend checking out the Salty Southern Cruiser's Network for up to date info on shoaling and closures.

Keep us posted as you go!
Old 10-11-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Worst part, to me, is Southport, NC through Myrtle Beach, SC, but then you're on the Wacamaw River, which to me is the prettiest.

As a singlehander, I prefer outside, and you can pretty much go from Beaufort Inlet to the Keys in overnight hops (first hop is 2 nights).
Silvio likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Thanks gentlemen.

It will be two of us. If the weather is good, I want to go outside as much as possible. Although I don't mind to get some experience going thru ICW and get struck here and there.

From Norfolk to Oriental NC is less than 190 nm sailing outside, so it will be less than 40 hours non stop. The bad part is going into the inlet at night, or we can skip Oriental to head to Beaufort.

We can't afford the time to sail to Fort Pierce Fl in one trip, so we must fly back home and stay for a week or two and then go back to pick up the trip again. So getting to a city where easy to fly in and out is a plus. I beleive our wives will be joining with us when we get to Charleston or Savannah.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-11-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road

Been thinking the same myself for the trip south. Which inlet would you use to get to Oriental? Ocracoke, Oregon?
Old 10-11-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Unless you just want to go to Oriental, doesn't make much sense to go there if you're outside. For me, it's 2 nights, Beaufort Inlet to north end of Hilton Head, over night to St. Augustine, then one more night to Fort Pierce, on the outside.
rockDAWG likes this.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-11-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

Quote:
Ocracoke, Oregon?
Neither.

If you really want to go to Oriental, I'd just go down the ICW, then go out Beaufort Inlet.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-11-2012

SeaSickFish is on a distinguished road

i am sitting on beaufort right now, had to skip oriental due to a fuel leak before that part of the canal came thro the pamlico sound which is 80 miles long and can get pretty rough seas. i dont suggest going thro this sound just bc its so long and the waves stack up close. i plan on leaving the icw in the morning and riding the coast or going off shore wind is suppose to be 15-20 knts so dunno yet.
rockDAWG and Silvio like this.
Old 10-11-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSickFish View Post
i am sitting on beaufort right now, had to skip oriental due to a fuel leak before that part of the canal came thro the pamlico sound which is 80 miles long and can get pretty rough seas. i dont suggest going thro this sound just bc its so long and the waves stack up close. i plan on leaving the icw in the morning and riding the coast or going off shore wind is suppose to be 15-20 knts so dunno yet.
Have a safe and fun trip. Wish we were southbound! Not in the cards this year.
Old 10-11-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road

Sigh... My reasoning was I wanted to avoid the ICW, I'm figuring 4 knts average speed so it's about 40 hours from the Chesapeake to Ocracoke. Planed on visiting friends in Oriental. I guess it won't kill me to do the ICW for the first part.

I spent my summers as a kid sailing small boats on Albemarle sound, I'm well aware of how thin the water is and how it can get whipped up in no time.

Thanks for the input

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.