Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring vs slip?

Mooring vs slip?

It is actually very easy to settle this age-old question. If you remove the money factor from the equation, ask yourself which you would rather have. That is your right answer.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
....... We keep our dinghy in the water at a dinghy dock, and then it's a 3 minute paddle to the boat, so it's just really not a big deal for us.
Most of the time, I don't really mind a wet butt or shoes, if it rained recently. Sometimes, however, it's downright annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-12-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

This is also dependent on if you have a fixer upper or a 50 Jeanneau or 45 HR. If I own a half $MM boat, I doubt I will do mooring at my home port. If the privacy is my concerns, I will lease the whole finger dock.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-12-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Most of the time, I don't really mind a wet butt or shoes, if it rained recently. Sometimes, however, it's downright annoying.
Shoes? Can't recall the last time I wore such things on my boat. Flip flops get kicked off on the dock and are stowed until I step onto land again. Wet butt? Yea, that's happened a time or two. Guess I could wipe down the seat in about 10 seconds if I really cared. Most of the time I'm already wearing swim shorts anyway.

What would be really annoying is being crowded together with a whole bunch of other boats and people. I like to socialize with other folks in the marina, but I also like to "go home" when I'm ready to have some peace and quiet.
Old 10-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This is also dependent on if you have a fixer upper or a 50 Jeanneau or 45 HR. If I own a half $MM boat, I doubt I will do mooring at my home port. If the privacy is my concerns, I will lease the whole finger dock.
We have Hylas, HRs, Swans, etc on moorings all around here. 50+ footers to boot.

Interesting thought you gave me. I think these are hardly ever used. So there is another factor. If you don't use your boat, you won't need the convenience of a slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-12-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We have Hylas, HRs, Swans, etc on moorings all around here. 50+ footers to boot.

Interesting thought you gave me. I think these are hardly ever used. So there is another factor. If you don't use your boat, you won't need the convenience of a slip.
Do they charge by foot for moorings?
Old 10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Do they charge by foot for moorings?
Not usually by the foot, but there are often different rates for ranges of LOA.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 10-12-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

for me id live a mooring but i know itd not be any use to me with my outboard unleass i have a huge opening and no one around so mooring it is exspecailly sinces it's cheaper. Also im at a yatch club so i leave the dinghy there and i can either bring friends out to the boat on the dinghy filled with gear or just row out there and motor to the dock and let every one on and all the gear it's not that hard. dockings easy after a while.
Old 10-12-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I boat in an area where boats on a mooring is rare to say the least. I wouldn't own a boat if I had to keep it on a mooring. We like hanging out with our friends at the marina.
Old 10-12-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Mooring - But spoiled

I have a mooring, and it is extremely cheap. $130/yr permit + $175/yr mooring service for a 33ft boat. We also pay for a launch service ~$480/yr for unlimited rides. The launch service runs from May 1 to Nov 1. From Memorial Day W/E to Labor Day W/E hours are 8 AM -10 PM M-Th, and 8 AM - 11PM W/E. There are reduced hours in early May and Later Sept/Oct. The dock where we pick up the launch has free parking with a PortaJohn and the dock itself has space for quite a few tie ups and fresh potable water.

Often the Admiral and I will go out for a sail, come back have a cocktail, relax, then call the launch and head into town for a nice meal, head back to the boat around 9:30 via the launch and turn in.

In my area, there are only a few "marina" with slips and the cost is astronomical, $135+/ft.

I'd rather have a mooring. I agree with others, safer in a storm, easier to sail on/off of, quieter, cooler, and cheaper.