SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Mooring vs slip? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92997-mooring-vs-slip.html)

Jiminri 10-11-2012 09:13 PM

Mooring vs slip?

The marina where I'd like to have my boat may or may not have any slips available for next season, but they definitely have moorings available. I'm trying to figure out how much of a pain a mooring would be or if there might actually be some advantages of a mooring.

Some stuff is obvious. For example, with a mooring...arrive at marina,have to get dinghy off rack, haul to dinghy launch site, and row out to sailboat. (The mooring is pretty close.) Then use dinghy to get rest of passengers/provisions or motor sailboat from mooring to t-head, tie up, and load from there. Repeat when returning, especially if I want to hose the boat off, top off water tanks, etc.

Getting a contractor on the moored boat would require more effort on my part. In the past, if, for example, I wanted an electrician to check something out, I could just tell him the slip number and the combination for the lock. If I were on a mooring, I'd have to bring the boat to the dock at a pre-arranged time.

Batteries may or may not be a concern. I'm guessing they would charge enough with the motoring I'd do to get out into the bay. (I do not have solar panels or a wind generator.)

On the plus side, the mooring is cheaper. And more private.

Not sure which is better in storms.

So, I am I considering the right factors? Or am I missing something important here on my "one the one hand and on the other hand" discussion with myself?

rockDAWG 10-11-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Mooring vs slip?

For me, it will depend on how often I want to go to the boat and how far I live from the boat. I assume there is no water taxi. It will get old real fast if we go to the boat 2 to 3 time a week. If I go to the boat once a month and sail for a few days, mooring is not bad.

Anyway, I would get a slip if available.

IronSpinnaker 10-11-2012 09:25 PM

Do you sail alone ever? It is hard to hook back up to a mooring when you have a dingy in the way and nobody else with you.

eherlihy 10-11-2012 09:31 PM

I have the opposite situation. I am on a slip, but would love to find a mooring! (you can't please all the people, all the time...).

Plusses of being on a slip:
  • Easy on / Easy off the boat for people and gear
  • Power is readily available to charge the batteries
  • Water is readily available to fill the tanks
  • Dinghy is optional
  • Neighbors on the dock watch out for each other, and each other's boats
  • Cleaning (because of water availability, and 120V power for shop vac)

Plusses of being on a mooring;
  • I could single hand (I can't get in and out of my slip alone)
  • Less staining near the waterline from the scum that floats in and out with the tide
  • Less danger of wave action popping out a fender, and risk of dock chafing against boat.
  • During Irene, many people were very concerned that the storm surge would combine with high tide, and the docks would float off their pilings. Storm surge should not be as much of an issue with a good mooring.
  • CHEAPER!

dinosdad 10-11-2012 10:01 PM

As this has been my first year with my boat(any boat period!) , I spent the season on a mooring and can offer these observations. It can be a hassle to grab the dink, take the motor out of the locker, load up and get out to the boat, but it becomes very routine after a few times . The peace and quiet afforded by the mooring is one the best positives, relaxing in the cockpit watching the world go by, nobody walking by and having to engage in small talk, but if your in the mood to be social a dinghy ride around the moorings or to the dock will provide you with plenty of opportunity for conversation . Picking up a mooring was a easily learned skill(even non boaters grasped the concept quickly). You'll be amazed how much crap you can bring out to your boat on the dink, enough for a weekend easily, guests can be picked up at the dock. If you need someone to work on the boat your marina may let you put it in a open slip for a few hours(provided someone's left theirs vacant and the marina is outside vendor friendly). I seldom went more than a week without being on the boat and the batteries never got run down( no solar panel or wind generator). If the marina is somewhere you want to be you could take a mooring and if it isn't working for you ask to be put on a waiting list for a slip.

CalebD 10-11-2012 10:29 PM

Moorings rock!
Cheaper. More private. Sweet.

santana30RI 10-11-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker (Post 932397)
Do you sail alone ever? It is hard to hook back up to a mooring when you have a dingy in the way and nobody else with you.

I have a 30 SANTANA on a mooring and sail alot by my self it is not bad at all

jephotog 10-11-2012 10:56 PM

$ vs $$$

I think as RockDAWG says depends on how often you want to spend on the boat.

I looked at a cheap boat nearby with some partners. Slips while very expensive are also unavailable in most places, so a waiting list and mooring are the only option. If you can single hand the boat, you can go out in a dinghy and bring it to the dock to pick up the rest of the crew.

The one thing I would miss on a ball would be cocktail-ing or evenings sleeping in the slip.

macswift 10-12-2012 03:39 AM

My preference would be the mooring providing it's a swinging mooring, and not a trot mooring where you have to pick up both a bow line and a stern line. They can be a real pain to pick up in strong winds and tides, whereas it's relatively easy to sail on and off a swinging mooring.
It's the privacy of a mooring that I like, along with the way the boat behaves how a boat should, reacting to both wind and tide.
Alongside on a pontoon berth (UK) or slip (US) with the ropes and fenders squawking it's no fun at all, you might as well be ashore. And all the hassle wriggling in and out of the slip and getting the lines on, particularly if you have a long-keeler. You'll need help to do it without drama, but you can deal with a mooring on your own.
Yes, it's the mooring for me...

CatMan22 10-12-2012 05:44 AM

Mooring versus slip, the never ending debate. I spent this summer on mooring and learned that everytime I sailed there was something new I could do to make it easier the next time I came out. This went from the type of lines I tied off with to how to get there to location of the lines to styrofoam insulation on lines to keep them from wrapping around bottom of buoy. The only downfall I found was the buoy cable snapped at its anchor during a storm and resulted in my boat being blown intilo a cove and the adjoining seawall, luckily I left fenders on both sides of boat on and always raised keel when tied off. I have inquired about a slip for next year but moor than likely will be back on the buoy after the solitude while overnighting.