Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Fin vs bulb vs wing keels

R3:
Sometimes you are just not going to be able to apply reason to the performance argument. Yesterday we had a long race with every condition and heading imaginable. We saw almost 30 knots TWS and TWS down to 2 knots. It was the Race Your House race for liveaboards and we had a fleet of 50 boats that covered all but the very top end of the performance and type spectrum. Racing a pilot house baba 35 we managed a second in class being beat by 22 seconds on corrected time and 2 minutes on elapsed time by a well sailed ( damn it) Cat 30 raced by a very good sailor and old pal of mine. The HC''s, Ingrids and Cape George Cutters were well behind us. I think we amazed a lot of sailors, including myself. That puts a lot of the talk to rest.

Sometimes I like to point out to an owner of an "antique" type design (and I have design a few of them) that he should check the PHRF rating for his boat. PHRF ratings are usually very good indicators of a boat's potential performance. Kind of like this, "If your boat is that fast why does it rate 255?"

At the end of our race I could not even see either of the two HC's in the race. Mind you, we pushed the Baba 35 very hard and we had very good sails (thank you Carol Hassey) plus an Aussie pal of mine called tactics and sail trim. We raced for fun and our attitude is winning is the way to have the most fun. Several boats dropped out of the race including a Cape George cutter. I'm not sure our performance did much to promote the "full keel boats are slow upwind" argument. We seemed to hold our own and maintain very good VMG's upwind. But I am not so blind as to think a full keel boat has the same upwind potential or even downwind, in most conditions, as a well sailed fin keel boat.

Maybe, "You're full of crap" was the only way to end that argument.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 10-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
R3:
Racing a pilot house baba 35 we managed a second in class being beat by 22 seconds on corrected time and 2 minutes on elapsed time by a well sailed ( damn it) Cat 30 raced by a very good sailor and old pal of mine.
Like a ray of sunshine, it is

The Baba PHs were my dream boat for years and years Bob.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-21-2012

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
My last post was made after a long and hard and succesful day of racing in lots of wind. I was tired and re-reading my post it now seems a bit snotty. My excuse is, I was feeling snotty. I'll work on being nicer next time.
Hi Bob.. Not sure about anyone else, but I did not take your post as a bad post.

I found your post about the two boats quite useful as I have often wondered the real performance difference between the two keels. It seemed a very well controlled test between two boats. Would be nice if all comparisons between boats was so well done.
Bryce
Old 10-21-2012
grumpy old man

GTX:
Thanks and you are correct. But in all fairness that was a different time and money was more available for experiments like that. It was fun. We had fun. We all enjoyed the process and we all understood the results. We flew back to Seattle satisfied and feeling like we had learned something.

It's a different world today.

Ok, I deleted the rest of this post because it got political and if I thought you had any interest at all in my political opinions I'd think you were idiots. I know better.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-21-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Bob,

Did not know you were out there yesterday. Did you like that squall about 3pm or there abouts! about 1/3 of the fall regatta folks dropped out in the third race! Was real happy about our finish, only had three on board, could have used 2 others, got a 1st and 2nd, last a 5th........wore out the crew on that one, so went easy when the squall came thru, took them awhile to want to put the jib up, but once we did, could not catch the others in front......oh well, was afraid we would have a 3rd overall from that fiasco!

Sloop was packed afterwards last night too! Were you at the party?

Marty
Old 10-22-2012

Waterspouts on north Puget Sound - Local News - Seattle, WA | NBC News

Good thing we were not in Everett! or there abouts eh! It was more PHUN weather wise near BP's house!
Old 10-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Waterspouts on north Puget Sound - Local News - Seattle, WA | NBC News

Good thing we were not in Everett! or there abouts eh! It was more PHUN weather wise near BP's house!
I saw one of those once on English Bay. Has anyone here ever been hit by one?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-22-2012

Not sure which would be worst, a water spout, or an actual cyclone/dust devil type thing. The water possibly, since water would should have more solid mass to it!
Old 10-22-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We were chased back to our home port by a spout in earlier September by a waterspout off off Baltimores North Point on the nChesapeake Bay and the Patapsco River.

We had made our way back to the Bay that day from Cape May as it was the last day of our NE/ LI Sound trip and the wether had been threatening all day with TStorms. As we approached the Patapsco the clouds lowered, got greenish purple and we saw a funnel drop sideways out of the hook like looking cloud. It hit the water about a half a mile away, and we could hear the low rumble of it. We had our sails down and engine on ull blast as we saw it moving parallel with us for 5 minutes. We finally hit the river and were able to veer away as it continued SW.

That was close enough for me.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-22-2012
grumpy old man

Marty:
My wife was at the shack all day Saturday and she was a bit concerned about the weather we would have on the race. It was pretty damn nice actually. Much worse at the shack.

We had a really good race and got 2nd in class in a tubby, pilot house double ender that had a lot of bigger, more modern boats looking slow. I drove the boat harder than it had ever been driven according to the owner but I had a ball and the boat responded very well. The Carol Hassey sails were new and a good part of the key to out performance. All in all a satisfying day on the water.

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.