Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook NJ

although this is not acroos the pond or the Carribean, this will be my summer vacation destination. Anyone have info on good anchorages?? restarants?? Things to see or look out for getting there (heading south on the Hudson River) fishing spots??

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2004

rads is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook NJ

Try to get a copy of the Maptech Cruising guide for the region it will give you alot of information on the area. Also Check the Atlantic Highlands yacht Club Web site
www.ahyc.net it has a wealth of information. Be careful when you pass G"17" at the end of Sandy Hook as there are new security zones around the Naval station at Earle and they are strictly enforced. Get good maps of the region and locate West Bank light, Flynns Knoll, Chappel channel. There is a lot of commercial traffic out of NY Harbor and the Raritan River.
There are many moorings inside the breakwater at Atlantic Highlands. Check with the Harbor master as to what is available. there is also a launch service provided by the AHYC that provides service to shore. The are also areas to anchor behind the seawall.
Everything is within walking distance of the harbor. If you are staying for awhile, check out Red Bank. Great town. You can go by boat but you will have a strong current in the rivers and two bridges to deal with. Also there is a lot of shoaling in the Navesink river before you get to the Oceanic Bridge. Both Bridges are on scheduled openings. Better to go by car if you can get a rental in the area. It is about a 15-20minute ride. Great restaurants and antique centers.
Hope this helps
Mark
S/V Merlin
Old 03-20-2004

ran139 is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook NJ

If you feel like a hike, climb the mountain (hill) above the harbor to the historic Twin Lights light house for a view of NYC and the coast.
If you get board with the immediate area hop on the fast ferry that leaves from the AH dock to NYC and catch a broadway show (30min ride)
It''s a great area. Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-20-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook NJ

thanks...to be more specific, ther are a few coves that I have been told are not as deep as they are on the charts ( Horseshoe and Spermacetti) I need a place that I can drop the hook and go onto Sandy Hook and walk over to the beach for the day to swim and lay out (this is for my better half who won''t go unless there is abeach involved with the trip). I''ll probably anchor behind the breakwall at Atlantic Highlands (or get a transient mooring) for the night
Old 03-28-2004

rads is on a distinguished road
Sandy Hook NJ

Horseshoe cove is a good anchorage but fills up toward the later afternoon with alot of boats that stay there for the night. Average depth is about 10-12 feet. You will need a dingy to go ashore as there is no dock there.