Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road
Re: What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

I went Thursday and Friday....it was definitely more crowded on Friday but it was not totally uncrowded even on Thursday.
I saw some beautiful boats but I also saw some really disappointing boats as well. I won't name names but was speechless when I looked at one that was so non descript inside I thought I was in a cheap trailer. it even had screws missing from the flooring....so it squeeked. The sales person inside....never looked up from their perch at the table, or said a word. Why would a company waste money to take a boat to a boat show and then present such an eyesore?

Last edited by SeaQuinn; 10-15-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Boat show, Annapolis, boats, crowds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Agreed..that's how I purchased my wife's anniversary gift..went by the 'Fatty Knees' dingy sales rep. on a Monday afternoon about an hour before closing. Rep didn't want to drag the dingy back so part of the deal was a delivery to my marina as well as all the optional pieces thrown into the deal.
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on which side of the cash register you're on, too many people are learning this trick. If you're going to cut a deal with them for the demo model of something too bulky that they want to bring back with them AND get a good selection, go no later than Friday morning. Make the deal, they put a "sold" sign on it, display it for the rest of the show and you go back and pick it up 4:00 Monday, show the receipt from your purchase atthe gate and you don't have to pay for admission again (and stay for tear-down, yesssss). Got a heckuva deal on our outboard and dinghy that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekristine View Post
For some reason, I thought it was Thursday to Sunday only?
Juliekristine, the power boat show is the one that runs Thurs-Sun; the sailboat show takes advantage of the Columbus Day holiday and runs to Monday. Oddly, because Columbus Day is so late next year (Oct 14), there is some talk of having the powerboat show the weekend BEFORE the sailboat show, instead of after as it is usually scheduled.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-15-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

For the traditional monohull sailor, the show left a lot to be desired. For those who want lots of space in their new boat, this was probably a great show.

When I saw the Shannon beast, I was excited at first because I thought they would have one of their real sailboats there. That they only chose to bring a cabin cruiser upon which they mounted sails disappointed me. Hinkley had only a small booth. But maybe that spoke to the trends.

When I walked aboard the Beneteau Sense, the first thing that came to mind was a bachelor pad/party boat. Then I thought about standing on that spacious aft deck and getting hit by a gust. I imagined being thrown overboard.

Later, while inside a Beneteau Oceanis, I heard a customer tell the salesman there are no handholds above. The salesman said that would reduce headroom. The customer frowned then the salesman said, "You can add as many handholds as you want." Problem solved.

The comments here about storage space being reduced to provide larger cabin space are right on. But considering how many positive comments I heard at the boat show about all the open space, well, maybe that's what the manufacturers are reacting to.

But in this economy, and its vanishing middle class, the number of people who can actually afford a new boat is a fraction of what it was 10-15 years ago. If the boatbuilders are going to survive, they have to make their boats cheaper or appeal to a different market. It may be one of those trends that forever changes the world of sailing. I hope not.
Old 10-15-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Juliekristine, the power boat show is the one that runs Thurs-Sun; the sailboat show takes advantage of the Columbus Day holiday and runs to Monday. Oddly, because Columbus Day is so late next year (Oct 14), there is some talk of having the powerboat show the weekend BEFORE the sailboat show, instead of after as it is usually scheduled.
Wow, that should foul up some people's plans

Alot of people who stay in the B&B's and the hotels in town book next years room when they're checking out to make sure they get their spot.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-15-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
When I walked aboard the Beneteau Sense, the first thing that came to mind was a bachelor pad/party boat. Then I thought about standing on that spacious aft deck and getting hit by a gust. I imagined being thrown overboard.

Later, while inside a Beneteau Oceanis, I heard a customer tell the salesman there are no handholds above. The salesman said that would reduce headroom. The customer frowned then the salesman said, "You can add as many handholds as you want." Problem solved..
Just once I'd like to see this in a magazine review.

Quote:
The comments here about storage space being reduced to provide larger cabin space are right on. But considering how many positive comments I heard at the boat show about all the open space, well, maybe that's what the manufacturers are reacting to..
I commented to one salesman that it would be impossible to cook real meals in the galley of their 30 footer. His response "That's why it has a microwave."

Quote:
But in this economy, and its vanishing middle class, the number of people who can actually afford a new boat is a fraction of what it was 10-15 years ago. If the boatbuilders are going to survive, they have to make their boats cheaper or appeal to a different market. It may be one of those trends that forever changes the world of sailing. I hope not.
There were very few boats 30 feet and under, but that's been true for as long as I can remember at the show. We wanted to check out the new catalina 315 (we have a Catalina 30 now). There were some things we liked about the boat and at $123K it didn't seem outrageous. Then I asked about a boat optioned like the one at the show and was told high $180's.

I'd think that puts the boat out of reach for much of its traditional family market when you factor in payments plus slip fees and maintenance.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-15-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post

I was disappointed that Island Packet's new Blue Jacket wasn't available yeti. Though the economy is still sluggish IP may be positioned for the recovery.

Ronbo
Well, you could have just had a look at the Tartan 4000 instead, the 2 boats are strikingly similar... Aside from the addition of a Hoyt jib boom, and shaft propulsion in lieu of a saildrive, there's very little apparent distinction between the two...

I can't help but wonder whether some folks at Tartan aren't regretting not having negotiated a more ironclad non-competition clause of some sort with Tim Jackett, perhaps? (grin)

What would you guess the odds will be that Blue Jacket sells a SINGLE version of that boat with the 7' 5" keel? I'm gonna guess slim, to none...
Old 10-15-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good point. Income distribution today is much like it was in 1929. It wasn't until the 1950s that middle class Americans started buying boats for family recreation and sailing didn't hit the big time until the fiberglass revolution produced affordable small cruiser/racers (small by todays standards) when a family of ordinary means could purchase a sailboat, cruise as a family and race with an amatuer crew with dacron sails. Look at the brochures from the 70s and 80s. They all empasize family and racing.
We are in a different market. I know bunches of people that pay more for their smart phones and data plans than I pay to keep my sailboat. And that's not counting the cable tv packages with all sports all the time, except of course all ads all the time feeding the gizmo/beer/truck fever.
There are a few relatively rare people that eschew that plugged in mentality and take their family sailing. Which is sad as some of the best posts on sailnet talk about fathers and moms and sons and daughters learning to sail and making lifetime memories and life time bonds out on the water.
Alas, maybe anon...
Old 10-15-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

It is not necessarily a matter of affordability - that assumes everyone wants a new boat.

The real question is why would someone pay 10x as much for new, if your goal is to go out on the water and have fun. You would be paying a lot more money for little or no apparent advantage.

If fact, I believe some of the older boats are better built and more seaworthy than some of the newer boats. So, what exactly are they selling?

The fantasy of sailing? It is absurd to believe the vision of sailing that the boat show provides. Does anyone really care about cut flowers and matching placemats and throw pillows?

How about the reality of wet foul weather gear, sailbags in the forepeak, separate food containers because of inadequate storage, etc?
Old 10-15-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post

The real question is why would someone pay 10x as much for new, if your goal is to go out on the water and have fun. You would be paying a lot more money for little or no apparent advantage.

I agree. While I can see the allure of buying a new boat, when we decided on the C30, we went to the boat show and sat in the C309, which, at the time, was the latest version of the 30, sorta. We decided that the aesthetic upgrades weren't worth the $100K+ price difference of new vs. used and the structural issues in the older boat that we ended up buying were fixed by the PO.

That said, we're once again looking at new vs. used as I research the Next Boat, since our needs for the next boat will be different.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.