Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

daledog is on a distinguished road
Re: What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

I'm refitting a Tartan 37 on the Bay (unless someone buys first). Very nice, 1981, flag blue. New barrier coat. Great hull (barrier coat done as prevention). Joinery work spectacular. Tons of storage. Original Westerbeke W50. Original electronics I'd replace with a buyers choice...Here's a good boat for you Julie!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Looks like a trickle-down/crossover from the world of stinkpots, will Bimbo Pads become the next big thing on sailboats?

One can only hope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

I think the successful manufacturers are extremely competent about identifying what their customers want - cabins like condos. As long as I have been attending boatshows I've noticed that when people go onboard they head directly below decks.

I always checked out the deck, rig etc. first and had it pretty much to myself while it was always SRO below.

People seem to want all the comforts of home, even for a weekend on board.

I (and it appears lots, if not most of the people here) want to SAIL and get away from cellphone ring tones, newzak and all the other "comforts" of life.

On the other hand, if spending extended periods onboard, or living aboard, the new boats DO have an appeal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-15-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

This was my twentieth consecutive Annapolis Sailboat show and I have always looked forward to this event year after year.......Pit beef sandwiches, pain killers and lots and lots of boats to drool over! This year everything seemed a bit different. The inordinate number of catamarans for starters, I have nothing against cats, they're just not for me. There was an apparent lack of high quality monohulls from say 35 feet to 42 ish....Where was Morris, Cabo Rico, Hinckley, Even Shannon didn't show up with a boat that typified their roots or even one that mere mortals could afford. Gozzard may have been the lone semi-custom builder?? Tartan and Sabre fit the bill but all of the Hylas', Oyster's and Passport's were way too large for me
Is Pacific Seacraft producing any new boats? After they moved to North Carolina, I haven't seen anything from them. I love the PS 40......
Old 10-15-2012

daledog is on a distinguished road

and I forgot to mention...I missed the sailboat show...I was at the powerboat show last weekend. And being from Ohio, I didn't know. I swear. Painkillers got me. I was the one in the rr for an hour talking to ralph....oy....But an invaluable lesson in life....lol....You don't need the strong ones!
Old 10-15-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
One can only hope.
I agree. I often go to powerboat shows just to watch the bimbos board the boats with their stiletto heels.

Mike
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 10-15-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I agree. I often go to powerboat shows just to watch the bimbos board the boats with their stiletto heels.

Mike
You guys make it sound like bimbos are a bad thing

My wife and I have always laughed at the difference in the sailing crowd at Annapolis and the crowd at the Atlantic City Show in the winter which is mostly power boaters.

You can certainly see why silicone sales are up ...

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-15-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post

Mike
NOT that I'm calling them bimbos, but I, too, marvel at the women who step out of their heels to board boats. As one who trips over my own feet in flats, I can't imagine being on those floating docks in heels. Throw in a couple of painkillers to the mix and I'm awestruck.

And it took me all morning to figure out what a bimbo pad was.
wingNwing likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-15-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I think the successful manufacturers are extremely competent about identifying what their customers want - cabins like condos. As long as I have been attending boatshows I've noticed that when people go onboard they head directly below decks.

I always checked out the deck, rig etc. first and had it pretty much to myself while it was always SRO below.

People seem to want all the comforts of home, even for a weekend on board.

I (and it appears lots, if not most of the people here) want to SAIL and get away from cellphone ring tones, newzak and all the other "comforts" of life.

On the other hand, if spending extended periods onboard, or living aboard, the new boats DO have an appeal.
Mike,
I think it's all how you intend to use your boat. We live aboard weekends from the spring through the fall and mostly day sail. So for us it's a second home and a lot of the upgrades I've done are to make the boat more comfortable. I don't think I'd want to spend August at the Jersey shore without air conditioning for example.

When you're living on board things like new bedding, dockside water, AC, a stereo, a TV and a well equipped galley are nice to have.

It makes it feel more like being on vacation than camping; and that's also something your spouse will appreciate.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Throw in a couple of painkillers to the mix and I'm awestruck.
Me too.

Quote:
And it took me all morning to figure out what a bimbo pad was.
It's a guy thing.