SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93031-what-i-learned-annapolis-boat-show.html)

JulieMor 10-12-2012 05:54 PM

What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

We just got back from our trip out east. We were at the boat show on Thursday, for VIP day, and Friday, for Take The Wheel. We didn't make the wine and cheese event afterward, choosing instead to look at the boats again.

What I learned:
1. This is a real boat show! Tons better than the Strictly Sail show in Chicago!
2. If you are shopping for a boat, pay the little extra and go on VIP day on Thursday. The Friday crowds seemed about double what they were on Thursday and we got to see practically every boat we wanted to see.
3. When you return to a boat for a second look, don't be surprised if the sales person recognizes you, even with all the people who tour the boats.
4. Sabre makes a beautiful boat!
5. Painkillers have medicinal value, besides killing pain. :laugher And it seemed the drink of choice for the other sailors in attendance!
6. Sailors are still some of the friendliest, most down to earth people on the planet. :D
7. Being there was like curing homesickness. I didn't realize how much I missed the water. I didn't want to leave!
8. The Chesapeake is a very shallow bay! I thought we could just go out and sail once we left the dock, until we ran aground right in the middle of the bay. :o
9. If you are planning to buy a boat, do a sea trial first. A sailboat is not a sailboat is not a sailboat. They all have their subtle differences that may mean a lot to you.
10. I am not a cat person.
11. I need to figure out how to spend more time sailing and less time dreaming about it!

Melrna 10-12-2012 06:20 PM

Re: What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

Glad to see you had a great time and the pain killers help ease the sore pains! For us sailors it is the greatest show on earth.

JulieMor 10-12-2012 06:29 PM

I forgot:

12. Dual helms are cool looking but unless you have a big boat or a beamy boat, a single helm seems to work just fine.
13. If you have been looking at magazine ads for your new boat, you will probably be disappointed once you set foot on them at the show.
14. Refrigeration technology has come a long way and has finally gotten to that point where I found myself saying, "Now that's a nice system!" "Now that's a nice setup!"
15. Air conditioning in a sailboat no longer creates shocked responses.
16. Electronic navigation is wonderful but I wonder how many sailors know paper chart navigation or how to use a sextant? To me, the latter is like having a hand pump in the bilge.

Since going to the show I feel like I'm part of the sailing community again. It's good to be home. Now I just need a place of my own. :)

JulieMor 10-12-2012 07:11 PM

Another one:
17. Electric winches, while really awesome, just seem wrong! Are you really sailing when you just have to push a button to trim the sails?

SchockT 10-12-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieMor (Post 932832)
Another one:
17. Electric winches, while really awesome, just seem wrong! Are you really sailing when you just have to push a button to trim the sails?

Yeah that's what I thought too! But recently my Brother in Law installed them on his 1940's vintage 45' yacht, because he is getting older, and so are his buddies. (but not his wife, she is still young as ever :D)

Considering he has done 36 Sydney-Hobarts, and the America's Cup, I think we can cut him some slack and let him have his electric winches!

SloopJonB 10-12-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Another one:

No. :D

Marcel D 10-12-2012 11:54 PM

Julie we went to a boat show just last year and came home with a nice new Beneteau 34. We were not planing to buy a new boat but it happened. Quite happy with our purchase as we were on a Beneteau First 285, a little cramped with me and my wife and a 3 and 5 year old on her. This was a great year for cruising we had heat off the dock refrigeration and an anchor windlass. Not to mention all of that extra room, we played board games with the kids, hosted dinner parties and the rest. Buying a new boat is an exiciting time enjoy it.

rockDAWG 10-13-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Another one:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 932916)
No. :D

Really.... :)

Well...... I remember what I said long ago. What kind of moron needs a TV remote control? And 35 years later, I asked the car salesman why would anyone needs a butt warmer. Now no one in my family wants to drive a car without a butt warmer.

Trust me, if you have sailed on a boat with electric winches, you would not want to do without it. Main halyard electric winch is a must. Hey call me sissy.

I am just sayin' :)

CalebD 10-13-2012 01:10 AM

Julie,
You need a boat.
If you can afford a brand new boat then good for you!
The boating community is generally of a pretty outgoing sort.

groggy 10-13-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Another one:

proper trim is the goal, regardless of how you move the sail.