Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

We just got back from our trip out east. We were at the boat show on Thursday, for VIP day, and Friday, for Take The Wheel. We didn't make the wine and cheese event afterward, choosing instead to look at the boats again.

What I learned:
1. This is a real boat show! Tons better than the Strictly Sail show in Chicago!
2. If you are shopping for a boat, pay the little extra and go on VIP day on Thursday. The Friday crowds seemed about double what they were on Thursday and we got to see practically every boat we wanted to see.
3. When you return to a boat for a second look, don't be surprised if the sales person recognizes you, even with all the people who tour the boats.
4. Sabre makes a beautiful boat!
5. Painkillers have medicinal value, besides killing pain. And it seemed the drink of choice for the other sailors in attendance!
6. Sailors are still some of the friendliest, most down to earth people on the planet.
7. Being there was like curing homesickness. I didn't realize how much I missed the water. I didn't want to leave!
8. The Chesapeake is a very shallow bay! I thought we could just go out and sail once we left the dock, until we ran aground right in the middle of the bay.
9. If you are planning to buy a boat, do a sea trial first. A sailboat is not a sailboat is not a sailboat. They all have their subtle differences that may mean a lot to you.
10. I am not a cat person.
11. I need to figure out how to spend more time sailing and less time dreaming about it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

Glad to see you had a great time and the pain killers help ease the sore pains! For us sailors it is the greatest show on earth.
JulieMor likes this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 10-12-2012

I forgot:

12. Dual helms are cool looking but unless you have a big boat or a beamy boat, a single helm seems to work just fine.
13. If you have been looking at magazine ads for your new boat, you will probably be disappointed once you set foot on them at the show.
14. Refrigeration technology has come a long way and has finally gotten to that point where I found myself saying, "Now that's a nice system!" "Now that's a nice setup!"
15. Air conditioning in a sailboat no longer creates shocked responses.
16. Electronic navigation is wonderful but I wonder how many sailors know paper chart navigation or how to use a sextant? To me, the latter is like having a hand pump in the bilge.

Since going to the show I feel like I'm part of the sailing community again. It's good to be home. Now I just need a place of my own.
Old 10-12-2012

Another one:
17. Electric winches, while really awesome, just seem wrong! Are you really sailing when you just have to push a button to trim the sails?
srqsailor likes this.
Old 10-12-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Another one:
17. Electric winches, while really awesome, just seem wrong! Are you really sailing when you just have to push a button to trim the sails?
Yeah that's what I thought too! But recently my Brother in Law installed them on his 1940's vintage 45' yacht, because he is getting older, and so are his buddies. (but not his wife, she is still young as ever )

Considering he has done 36 Sydney-Hobarts, and the America's Cup, I think we can cut him some slack and let him have his electric winches!
fodao, Melrna, dacap06 and 5 others like this.
Hull#101
Old 10-12-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Another one:
No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-12-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Julie we went to a boat show just last year and came home with a nice new Beneteau 34. We were not planing to buy a new boat but it happened. Quite happy with our purchase as we were on a Beneteau First 285, a little cramped with me and my wife and a 3 and 5 year old on her. This was a great year for cruising we had heat off the dock refrigeration and an anchor windlass. Not to mention all of that extra room, we played board games with the kids, hosted dinner parties and the rest. Buying a new boat is an exiciting time enjoy it.
JulieMor likes this.
Old 10-13-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
No.
Really....

Well...... I remember what I said long ago. What kind of moron needs a TV remote control? And 35 years later, I asked the car salesman why would anyone needs a butt warmer. Now no one in my family wants to drive a car without a butt warmer.

Trust me, if you have sailed on a boat with electric winches, you would not want to do without it. Main halyard electric winch is a must. Hey call me sissy.

I am just sayin'
JulieMor likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-13-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Julie,
You need a boat.
If you can afford a brand new boat then good for you!
The boating community is generally of a pretty outgoing sort.
JulieMor likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2012
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another one:
proper trim is the goal, regardless of how you move the sail.
JulieMor likes this.