Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012
Lost at Si!

lostatsi is on a distinguished road
Weights and Measures

I'm not sure where this question belongs but I'll start with "general". There is quite a bit of lead weight in the back of my boat near the rudder post or sleeve. I am guessing they are some sort of factory ballast. As we are live aboard cruisers the amount of added on weight is incredible when I start to think about it. Dingy, davit, outboard 4 scuba tanks, extra propane, my wifes shoes. It goes on and on. If they are just ballast could I leave them in storage. Even if their location, which is low in the back is an issue, It would be easy to move some heavy stuff back there. I've added over 200 pounds down there in fuel alone (I am aware that is somewhat temporary). Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road
Re: Weights and Measures

Does she float on her lines now, or is she down? Weight down low under the waterline is preferable for maintaining stability. (A new book just came out on the Swedish warship Wasa, which capsized and sank on her maiden voyage because she was topheavy. You don't want that happening to you.) Removing the lead may work OK if you can store tanks and heavy materials down low. Having the weight spread out over the length of the boat,(anchors, rollers & chain forward, tanks midships, and dinghy,davits, tanks, compressor & generator aft) tends to increase pitching more than when weight is concentrated in one spot (like in a fin keel or bulb). When balanced with the proper hull shape the pitching with weight spread out may be easy and regular: seakindly. Fin-keelers are better known for offering a stiff, bumpy, hold-on-with-both-hands ride. What you do depends a bit on what you're looking for in your boat.
Old 10-12-2012
Lost at Si!

lostatsi is on a distinguished road

Paulk
Theres no doubt she sets lower than when we first got her. Soooo much stuff when you live aboard. I even raised the paint a touch when we repainted the bottom. I've kept the weight as even as I can and as low as possible. There is probably 75 pounds of lead back there and not counting the extra 45 gallons of fuel which I located back there it just seems it might be wise to remove the lead. I realize that as the fuel leaves so does the weight but I have other items that could go there.
Are these Strictly there for ballast or do they serve some other function I'm not aware of?
Old 10-12-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Sounds like trimming ballast to me. Pull it out and see what happens would be my course of action.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-13-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Take that ballast out and see what happens. It's not good to be carrying weight in the stern. I doubt that 75 lbs. is significant to your fore and aft trim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....