Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
there's no such thing as "saving money" when it comes to buying an old boat and fixing it up.
I beg to differ - I've restored a couple of boats for cheaper than what it would have cost to buy what I ended up with. Doing all or nearly all the work yourself and judicious bargain hunting are the keys to doing it successfully. Consignment stores and Craigslist are your best friends when doing it. Buying when it's cheap and/or available, not when you need it helps a lot as well. If you just pay retail "marine" prices for every little thing brand new, no way can you do it.

Quote:
How many 1930s or 1940s boat can you think of, amongst the people you can think of that sail? Safe to say not many.
If they had fiberglass boats and aluminium spars back then it would be a very different story methinks.
Faster and Trekka like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

I agree with SloopB on this.

The key is to find a boat that is not a wreck. There's a sweet spot. But, just like cars, new boats lose value once they are driven (sailed) off the lot.

Just a rough back-of-the-envelope is that a new Jenneau 42DS has lost about a third of its value in the first 5 years. New they are somewhere around $275K and the asking price for a 2007 model is now something like $200K (and probably getting, at best $180K).

Compare that to a 1985 Whitby 42 I saw on Yachtworld for $55K. Probably in sailable shape. Surely needs some work, but even if you're putting $30K into it, you're still way ahead of the game.

Completely different boats? Absolutely. So, that's a caveat. But my feeling is that a 2007 Jenneau 42DS is a lot like a 2007 Toyota Corolla. Will it get you there? Yep. Does anybody seek out a five year old Corolla? Nope. The Whitby, on the other hand is a classic. It's already lost all the value it's going to lose. If you maintain it, you're not going to lose much on the sale - maybe even, God forbid, break even. Twenty years from now someone will still be seeking out a good example of a "classic" Whitby, but in the same time frame, I suspect the Jeanneau 42DS will be long forgotten.
Old 10-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Then I heard a muffled sound. My dad was panicking that the water was rushing in and there was no sign of me or the wire. I fumbled around and found the end and he grabbed it. He was pulling so fast I was doing everything I could to make sure it didn't knot. Finally the new transducer was seated and the flooding stopped.

When I got out of the water my head was still pounding. Of course my dad had no idea he almost blew my eardrums out.- JulieMor

Good visual story.....A Wile E Coyote moment
JulieMor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-18-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
For those of you who have made the plunge and bought an older boat, what has been your experience? What are the pitfalls? What have you had to pay for and what have you been to fix yourselves? And what boats really hold up that long?
Three years ago I bought a 1966 Pearson Triton. The previous owner had it for 13 years and did some pretty extensive restoration work. I've had no problems with it... Well, none that were not of my own doing

I recently decided that I wanted something a little bigger so I bought a "newer" boat, a 1986 Catalina. A real "young 'un" at 26...
SayGudday likes this.
Old 10-18-2012

SayGudday is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Three years ago I bought a 1966 Pearson Triton. The previous owner had it for 13 years and did some pretty extensive restoration work. I've had no problems with it... Well, none that were not of my own doing

I recently decided that I wanted something a little bigger so I bought a "newer" boat, a 1986 Catalina. A real "young 'un" at 26...
My 1960 Triton is structurally solid and I haven't done much to her other than converting her into a liveaboard boat. Had the usual breakages when I sailed her from SF to SD but other than that she's fine.

PS - Hey Steve77, do you know who bought your Triton?
Old 10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post
My 1960 Triton is structurally solid and I haven't done much to her other than converting her into a liveaboard boat. Had the usual breakages when I sailed her from SF to SD but other than that she's fine.

PS - Hey Steve77, do you know who bought your Triton?
I have a ton of old documentation (haven't sold the boat yet) and I'll look through it. I believe I'm the fourth owner, maybe third. Not sure off the top of my head, I'll see what I can find. It is hull #660.

Those Tritons were built to last.
Old 10-18-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Compare that to a 1985 Whitby 42 I saw on Yachtworld for $55K. Probably in sailable shape. Surely needs some work, but even if you're putting $30K into it, you're still way ahead of the game.
Having surveyed a number Whitby 42's and one that was recently listed for significantly more than 55K, I'd suggest than any Whitby in that price range is going to cost closer to 100k to make right. By "right" I mean functionally, safe and sound, not cosmetically perfect.

Last edited by Faster; 10-18-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 10-18-2012

SayGudday is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I have a ton of old documentation (haven't sold the boat yet) and I'll look through it. I believe I'm the fourth owner, maybe third. Not sure off the top of my head, I'll see what I can find. It is hull #660.

Those Tritons were built to last.
I'm the fourth owner of #92 and I keep a kind of foto-record of the fleet here Pearson Triton. Would love to add your vessel.
steve77 likes this.
Old 10-18-2012

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road

I'm the third and fifth owner of my 1966 Tartan 27. I wouldn't part with her...again.

Long story, but in the end it offers what I'm looking for in a boat.

It's not the age, it's the quality and the condition.
Old 10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post
I'm the fourth owner of #92 and I keep a kind of foto-record of the fleet here Pearson Triton. Would love to add your vessel.
That's a great site, it's nice to see those good old boats being so well cared for. I'd be happy to send you a picture of Gracie, is there a place on your site to do that? Send me a PM if you want to. My Triton was restored by the previous owner who had her for 13 years.

Steve