Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

i sail a boat from 1973 and i think it still has orinal rigging :/ still sails good tho
Old 10-13-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

I have a '74 Cal 29 and have done an extensive rebuild/overhaul. Going into details is a topic of its own. Some general observations:

Get a good surveyor. There's wide variance. Often insurance companies and boat yards know who will make a though inspection. A diesel survey can be an expertise of its own.

Boats reach a "fully depreciated" price normally well before, probably at about the 10 year point. At that point depreciation flattens out so you don't necessarily get more value per dollar going much past that. Some specific classics may even improve after a point

I recommend avoiding boats that have big ticket needs. The need to repower, hull blisters, deck water intrusion, need to replace rigging/sails. Get a boat where that's already been done.

The best value in an older boat is where the previous owner's put in a lot of TLC. You never get out of a boat any near what you put in. That's not the point in doing it. Some older boats have been greatly improved by owners over the production boat and that can be a great value to you if the improvements match features that you want. this is particularly true of performance designs. They are great to sail but need considerable improvements for sustained cruising.

ABYC boat standards have changed. For example I ended up rewiring much of my boat because the original work was just to a lower standard and that showed.

If you like carpentry, a stick built interior is easier to work with than a molded interior

Don't count on electronics having much value after about 7 years. You'll probably find yourself making replacements.

Check the web for class information. Boats invariably have an problem the develops with age. It can be a costly one if you have to fix it. On the Cal 29 its the beam that absorbs mast compression. Anyway you can check for it and see if its been corrected.
JulieMor likes this.
Cal-29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012

Green Eyes is on a distinguished road

Our Bristol is 30 years old. Wouldn't dream of trading her in on a younger model. Bigger maybe but not younger.
Old 10-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
That's a big if Dave and the consequences of a screw up here are, well I'll leave that to your imagination.- flybynight
That's not a big if. It's easily determined by a moisture meter and good surveyor. You eliminate many good cored boats and boat models with a sweeping generalization about not buying a cored boat below the waterline. The only way this can happen is if thru hulls are inserted improperly. Easily tested with a meter.

So I guess you have elimated Najad and Halberg Rasseys two of he finest made boats from your list as both are dynacell cored.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Just check to make sure the boat your are buying in particular doesn't have moisture intrusion. Eliminating cored boats just on that basis eliminates many boats or no reason.
SloopJonB and Marcel D like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-13-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Careful what you reveal - you could end up with a legion of stalkers comprised of recently divorced Sailnetters.

Blame my mechanical aptitude on my dad. He was almost impossible to please and hopelessly all thumbs. I was very young when I found fixing things for him resulted in him heaping praises on me. The rest is history.
wingNwing likes this.
Old 10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by b40Ibis View Post
The sabre 456 is a sweeeet Maine built boat. No doubt. But- $500k! Half million! (I am Guessing, cause they don't even give the price!).
For the one at the boat show, the list was a bit under $800K. I forgot to bring my piggy bank.
Old 10-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by b40Ibis View Post
You mentioned your an electrician and work w/wood. Older boats tend to have more brightwork, so that will keep you busy keeping her bright.
Electrical stuff is pretty much automatic for me, but while I love working with wood, I'm not so crazy about brightwork. Maybe I can barter.
wingNwing likes this.
Old 10-14-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Julie 800 k sounds like a ship. If I were you I would check out Kanter Yachts out of Canada, they build an all steel pilot house. Kanter Yachts Flash Launcher Their are quite a few for sale on the internet. They are my dream boat, have a look and let me know what you think. And since it is a custom yard they would let you do your own electrical and wood work if you wnated.
Old 10-14-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

One of the respected authors on brightwork is a woman: Rebecca Whitman.
Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood: Rebecca Wittman: 9780071579810: Amazon.com: Books Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood: Rebecca Wittman: 9780071579810: Amazon.com: Books

You can always learn.

Actually she is kind of a varnish maven and makes finishing with a varnish seem quite difficult. I gave up on varnish and gave in to the Cetol Natural Teak dark side as it is much easier to keep looking good. Goes on more like a paint and a lot less ju-ju needed for it turn out right.

Maybe I'm not that crazy about doing brightwork either!
JulieMor likes this.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-14-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Julie, you mention the price of the Sabre and here you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Our 30 year old Bristol is a solid bluewater cruiser with a decent turn of speed for its age and purpose. For interest sake, I looked at Annapolis for a similar purposed and size (length and displacement) and the closest I could find was an IP around 46 feet (forget the exact model). It was something like $800k which is close to 4x what we have in Ainia. There is no comparison of the two boats for appearance or performance. I could say easy choice, but there really was no choice. In reality it was not a Bristol 45.5 compared to an IP 46 (size), it was the Bristol vs something like a new Catalina in the low to mid 30s (price).
JulieMor likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.