Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Whatever boat one is happy with is the best boat for that person. I'm a firm believer in Wayne Dyer's philosophy, "When you judge, you don't define others, you define yourself." That's why I would never criticize someone for their choice in boat. We are all trying to find our little slice of happiness in this life. Happy people are the best people to be around.

My dream started with one day owning a brand new Swan. That dream was hatched almost 40 years ago. I'm now a lot more reasonable about that dream but I'm still holding on to buying a boat that is basically solid. I have learned over the years I have always regretted "settling" for something that my gut told me wasn't right.

There's a certain feel I get walking on to a well built boat, into a well built house or sitting in a well built car. You can just feel it. Maybe it's innate. Maybe it's a lifetime of demanding quality from myself in my profession. I don't know. But what I do know is I can get a feel from a boat in a fairly short time. I think that's what Pam Wall was talking about when we had breakfast with her. She called it Chi. I'll call it a good fit. And that's all I want.
jrd22 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

There are used Swann's for sale: Nautor Swan boats for sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk
Not many but a few.

I'll bet you like Rolls Royce automobiles too! Expensive tastes but very good boats.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Beauty as well as well built is in the eye of the beholder.

Dave
JulieMor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

I sorta agree with C&C. I'm formulating a theory that most old boat(and land vehicle dreams) takes two owners. One to fix it up, and one to enjoy the fruits of the labor... next time around I'm going to try to be the 2nd :-).
To be fair I've always imagined working at the carnival to be more interesting than wandering around overspending on silly plastic trinkets. The machines at the carnival are COOL.
So long as you get what you need out of the dream, whatever part of it is yours, I'd say it's a win.
I'm in the halfway department, I'm halfway through a refit, and I still plan to sail her, but I've swung a bit to CnCs side, some of the magic is gone, I've found myself looking at trawlers even recently... but hopefully I finish the refit before it all runs out. Having spent a lot of time fixing other's boats now, I've learned that many(most?) owners haven't got a bloody clue when it comes to boats, which is fine.
My boat's previous owners lived aboard for months, and some of the things I found not resolved told me they hadn't applied their faculties to the boat, I know they were smart enough people.

Also, caveat surveyor. Trusting one of those to use their eyes, or be honest can cost a lot in terms of blood sweat and tears, not to mention money.

Next time I'm trying to buy one that someone else has taken the hit on, where the magic wore out but that next time is far away. When I get to sail mine around the bay sometime soon I'll know if I've crossed the line that CnC did, I like to think I'm still toeing it, learning about the boat, while not entirely losing the magic.

Quality, older and well refit is the best deal, the trick is to find that, barring buying a boat that someone like Chris has done up, find one where whatever is causing them to sell it is something you can handle comfortably. For example I'll take a boat in need of electrical, but not one in need of rigging :-)
chrisncate and JulieMor like this.
Old 10-15-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Great post Jg, I've typed a bunch of paragraphs in response - but none express what I really want to say, so I'll maybe come back to the topic later.

Great post though
Old 10-15-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I bought a 40 year old Pearson 30, and sailed it home.

I spent the last four days colonizing an island, pillaging St. Michael's and two days beating into a 20kt headwind and a 3 foot chop. The boat handled beautifully. I have total faith in my boat, and it's age is not a problem for me.

The boat didn't really need much to just go sailing, but I raced it for two seasons, so I put several upgrades into her. I'm having standing rigging made up for her now, simply because I feel it's time to replace it.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-15-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

We just switched from a 2007 Gemini 105mc (bought new) to a 1987 Irwin 38 Mk II center cockpit.
The Gemini didn't feel like home, the Irwin does (will). I'm with WingNWing on this one, you'll spend 24/7 on the boat, either underway on the hook or at a marina; it's got be home, not camping. Older boats feel more solid to me. To get that feel in a new boat I've got to go for the 600k plus boats.
I'd rather spend the money on living than the boat. I can make old stuff shiny and if age mattered I'd have to throw myself out.

We bought her with almost none of the things cruisers need fully knowing that we'd be spending her value again in the next three years getting the upgrades in place.

That gives me three advantages
1) I'll know the boat and it's systems inside and out because I built it
2) I don't have to rip out old stuff before I put in the new stuff
3) I don't have to worry about fixing or repairing a 30 year old (e.g.) autopilot

By the time I'm done I'll have an arch with about 500w of solar, a battery bank that's three times the current, charging systems to support and monitor all that, efficient refrigeration to make sure I don't NEED all that power just for a few ice cubes in my cocktail, a new fully supported electronics suite that works together from AIS to weather forecasting.

Sure, it's like taking a school bus and making a modern RV of it, so?
jrd22, wingNwing and JulieMor like this.
Old 10-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I generally agree with the above comments. I own a 30 year old boat. I also know that many people getting ointo sailing for the first time nowadays are not necessarily looking for the same things I am in a boat. ...

... My friends, the difference now is that we on the other side of the curve than we were 25 years ago when we first got into boating and he traditionalists were saying many of the same things about the type of boats we liked and wanted. Go with the flow. I get pleasure out of seeing families together on weekends anchored in coves on the Chesapeake in the big chlorox bottle white insides with wide assed sterns and creature comforts a plenty boats laughing and being together.

Time to go with the flow. I buy what I want...So can they.

Dave
Well said, Chef.

The other truth is that if they're just planning on putting around in the Chesapeake, they don't need a boat designed to cross oceans.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-15-2012

cookwithgas is on a distinguished road

When you see the right boat you will know it is right for you. When I first saw my boat I knew it was the one for me. At 45, she is still beautiful. Every time I go out in Nellie Belle, I get a thumbs up from another boater or someone comments on how good the boat looks. I love my boat.

"You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."
JulieMor likes this.
Old 10-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
... It's probably best for the dreamy cruiser to buy already refit and just go, instead of going down the full refit road.
I think it's impossible to generalize this. The years we spent researching and installing exactly the systems we wanted, just helped us bond even more tightly with this boat. (but then, we're admittedly control freaks and would probably always resented someone else's choices LOL.) Bottom line, I think, is that you just have to know yourself.

And of course, I know nothing better than sailing to give you deep insights into your own character - the good and the bad!
chrisncate likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: