SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sail Simulator game/training (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93052-sail-simulator-game-training.html)

rockDAWG 10-13-2012 01:57 PM

Sail Simulator game/training

Anyone have their favorite game for iPad? But any app will do as long as it is educational and allows to test the different scenario. Ideally, it allows you to set the trims, rudder, traveler, backstay and etc.

rockDAWG 10-15-2012 04:00 PM

Re: Sail Simulator game/training

No one plays games here? :)

smallboatlover 10-15-2012 06:22 PM

dam i was waiting for some responses too

Schniggles 10-15-2012 06:51 PM

There's an app call "Little Sailor". It's a fun time killer but
the rules of racing don't apply.

Have you seen sailx.com? Racing sim and it's free.

IslanderGuy 10-15-2012 07:22 PM

I've tried a few here and there, but I don't recall the names as they weren't that good.

As a software engineer, I've though quite a few times about trying to write a good sailing simulator / game, but unfortunately to get the nuances of sail trim and air flow correct, you would need an extremely complex fluid modeling system, way more then I could do, and likely more then a standard PC could handle well.

And that's what I haven't liked about the sailing sims I've played. There too formulaic. If the wind is here, do this and you will get this exact result, and sailing is just not like that, and that's part of what makes it so fun.

If however I am wrong and there is a great sailing game out there, lets hear about it! I may checkout the sailx one listed above...

acarter92 10-15-2012 07:37 PM

I think the games can be fun, and very helpfull to someone trying to get the basics. But beyond that I don't think they would do much to someone who knows how to sail and is trying to fine tune their skills.

Just my 2cents...
Austin

Squidd 10-15-2012 08:51 PM

This one is kind of a learning experiance, not as deep as you asked for but has trims, rudder and wind direction...

Sailing Simulator by NauticEd

rockDAWG 10-15-2012 09:34 PM

Thanks. Does it have telltales in multiple locations that on the main and job that you can play with against the speed.

It would be super like if we can play with draft and and twist etc. Such games will really help to reinforce my understanding. It is so impossible to experiment in real life when the all the conditions are changing all the time.

azguy 10-16-2012 04:31 PM

I'm surprised the major gaming companies have not come out with an America's Cup game in light of the upcoming races...??

SayGudday 10-16-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schniggles (Post 934019)
There's an app call "Little Sailor". It's a fun time killer but
the rules of racing don't apply.

Have you seen sailx.com? Racing sim and it's free.

Hadn't heard of Sailx, much thanks!