Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Our "Take The Wheel" experience at Annapolis Boat Show

After we made the reservations and before we left home, we were asked which two of six boats we'd like. We chose the Hylas 54 and asked them to put us on a catamaran as our other choice.

When we got there we were given the schedule. From 9-12 they had (3) 1 hour seminars that covered a lot of the things anyone looking to buy a boat might want to know.

From 12-1 they provided a lunch which consisted of sandwiches, chips, cookies, pop and water.

Sea trials started at 1PM. Our first sail was on a 40' Fountaine Pajot (for sale at $230K). I think it was a 2006. The captain, who I was told was the owner, never asked anyone if they wanted to take the wheel nor did I see anyone but him at the wheel.

The winds were about 5-8 knots. The boat hardly moved. The telltales told me either the captain wasn't paying attention to sailing or didn't know how to sail or the boat can't sail. If that's life aboard a cat, count me out. I couldn't wait to get back to shore.

Our next boat was the Hylas 54. It was a 2010 and a really beautiful boat. We felt it was a much better boat than the Hylas' at the boat show. I immediately asked if we would get the chance to take the wheel. The temporary captain said yes. We later found out a couple on board were the owners looking to sell.

When at the wheel I really liked how it cut through the water but thought the helm was very slow to respond. You had to anticipate your turns. Regardless, it was fun to sail and I spent most of my time away from the helm talking to the wife-owner. She was very nice.

For a sailing addict who hasn't had her fix in a while, being out on the water was wonderful. In hindsight though, I wish we chose one of the other monohulls for our first sail. I guess I'm not a cat person.

After the sea trials they had a wine and cheese event. We didn't make it though. We wanted to see some of the boats we missed and re-visit a few we really liked as we were leaving that night for DC.

For the $250/couple I thought it was a fair price. But that's coming from someone who needed her sailing fix.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Our "Take The Wheel" experience at Annapolis Boat Show

Sounds like a pretty heavenly day to me, JM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sounds like a pretty heavenly day to me, JM.
Yeah, it was...
Old 10-14-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post

For the $250/couple I thought it was a fair price. But that's coming from someone who needed her sailing fix.
Next time you're in Annapolis you can get your sailing fix with us ... and all it'll cost you is a bottle of wine.
JulieMor likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Next time you're in Annapolis you can get your sailing fix with us ... and all it'll cost you is a bottle of wine.
Don't be surprised if you find us knocking on your hull soon! You two were WAY too gracious. Now we're like cats.
wingNwing likes this.
Old 10-14-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
You can easily hang out at the marina with sandwiches and chips in the bag. I am sure you can sail for free.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-14-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

If you get up around Holland looking at boats or whatever give me a shout. I usually sail Friday afternoon solo (kids in school wife working) . What size boat are you looking for?
Old 10-14-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
If you get up around Holland looking at boats or whatever give me a shout. I usually sail Friday afternoon solo (kids in school wife working) .
Julie - you see how it starts?
JulieMor likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-14-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

You could go to sloopjon. Took a guy from a different forum out a couple weeks ago. The more people on sailboats the better. Your not really in the area though they are.
Old 10-14-2012
Stowaway

juliekristine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
If you get up around Holland looking at boats or whatever give me a shout. I usually sail Friday afternoon solo (kids in school wife working) .
As Julie's stowaway partner, I'll put my foot down and say that she's not going without me, especially with the wife working!