SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   diesel fuel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93063-diesel-fuel.html)

jagpfd 10-13-2012 07:12 PM

diesel fuel

What is the difference between truck diesel fuel and marine diesel fuel? I have been told there is a color difference and that difference is to determine how to tax the fuel. Other than that do they both perform the same?

kd3pc 10-13-2012 07:37 PM

Re: diesel fuel

almost identical, additives may be a tad different depending on what part of the country you are in and the climate....ie...some additives prevent the fuel from gelling when extremely cold...I believe the US mandates ultra low sulfur blends...for both over the road and off road

the color relates to the intent of use, and the tax....every state is different in how they enforce...the fines can be steep....

as far as running it in your boat, many suggest additives as the ULSD has less lubricity that the old LSD......I use marvel mystery oil on a regular basis

HBar50 10-13-2012 07:38 PM

Marine Diesel for recreational boats is off highway #2 diesel oil. Pretty much the same as highway use except it has a higher sulfur content (except for northern California which uses ultra low sulfur highway fuel).

edit: I forgot...as of June 2012 marine diesel is ULSD as well.....I blame the Sailor Jerry. I add 2 stroke oil to lubricate the HP fuel pump and injectors in my old M-18.

Barquito 10-13-2012 08:07 PM

Marine diesel has a more earth nose, with an oaky finish...

Oh, sorry. Shouldn't drink wine while sailnetting

Capt Len 10-13-2012 08:21 PM

That's easily understood. I can't catch up on reading some of these threads without the liberal application of vino veratis ( home built rhubarb)

smallboatlover 10-13-2012 08:44 PM

diffrence is road tax and no road tax on marine diesel but for some reason the gas road tax is still applied for gas :/

SlowButSteady 10-13-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagpfd (Post 933199)
What is the difference between truck diesel fuel and marine diesel fuel? ...

Usually between $1 and $2 per gallon.

SlowButSteady 10-13-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallboatlover (Post 933241)
diffrence is road tax and no road tax on marine diesel but for some reason the gas road tax is still applied for gas :/

And yet, fuel at the fuel dock is always more expensive.

HDChopper 10-13-2012 10:57 PM

Watch your filters if your going to use "farm diesel" just fyi.....

The color is for taxing the fuel you get caught using the wrong color on the hiway You Will Pay big time.

The rest are correct about sulfer content.

silverbeard 10-13-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDChopper (Post 933300)
Watch your filters if your going to use "farm diesel" just fyi.....

The color is for taxing the fuel you get caught using the wrong color on the hiway You Will Pay big time.

The rest are correct about sulfer content.

What in the world is "farm diesel" and why should I watch my filters if I use it? Just asking.