Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Re: Woman Missing – A warning to Newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
This isn't about inexperience at all. I think this story comes down two three possibilities. 1. Murder, 2. Suicide, or 3. Life insurance fraud... My money is on the third.
Seems to be quite a few people on this thread that hear hooves and immediately think "Zebras!"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
My wife and I are equals in every sence of the word. I beleive she has the right to determione her own fate, what to do with her body, etc.

But where's the "We" in that? My wife and I regard ourselves as two 1/2's of a whole, not two completely separate and individual people - that's for dating.
Like - SloopJohnB
John, thats condescending and I know you probably didnt mean it that way. It is not for dating

WE are equals and equally bonded. I do not have the right to tell her what to do with her body whether we are married or not. If my wife was very ill and wanted to die I would say thats her choioce. I dont have the right to keep her alive against her wishes.
It has nothing to do with the WE

If she got pregnant again ( shes 60 know so that doubtfull) but if she did I nor any state entity has the right to foce her to come to term with that baby. Her body is hers and no amount of WE changes that.

Dave
oysterman23 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-17-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

It's quite possible that the husband doesn't have the slightest clue how potentially dangerous this trip was. I would venture to say that MOST average non-sailors wouldn't, either.

People do stupid, dangerous things all the time. Every time they get away with it makes them more likely to repeat that behavior. Sooner or later, it bites them in the ass.

I only have to drive about 3 miles on the freeway on my way from home to work, and back, and on average I'll see at LEAST one person texting or emailing on their phone while driving (I have a 4x4 truck, great vantage point to see people doing stupid, dangerous things). And this less than ten miles from the site of a head on train collision four years ago that killed 25 people - caused by the the engineer of the commuter train texting.

It doesn't take hit men, or insurance fraud, or zombies. Just the "it won't happen to me" attitude.
Old 10-17-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I just want to say that Meme's zombie theories are far, far, far more enjoyable than the politically charged drivel as to what constitutes a more perfect union between plump old chicks and dudes.

Take it to PRWG. Yeesh.
I don't mind you calling me a "dude" by my sweetie is not a "plump old chick"
Old 10-17-2012

millerandy is on a distinguished road

An interesting take from someone who apparently knew the couple well. I can't post the link to Canal World Discussion Forums, but here's the post:

"I am fed uip with reading fictional accounts of Oona Mary Unwin and her husband Carol.
Carol Unwin inherited his money and is not a property developer.
He had a very bad motor racing accident at the age of 21 and has been mentally and physically damaged since then.
Mary Unwin married him purely for his money which she then proceeded to spend.
He asked for a divorce which went through in 2011.
He remarried her on the 5th October and she bought the yacht on the 11th October continuing her habit of spending his money.
She always thought she knew everything and noone else knew anything.
He was totally under her spell and believed her every word.
Even when she told him she was an expert sailor.
Carol has balance problems and his speech is slurred.
She was always very self centred and head strong.
That is the truth.
I was reluctantly his best man at their first wedding.
Do not believe what you read in the newspapers."
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-17-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerandy View Post
An interesting take from someone who apparently knew the couple well. I can't post the link to Canal World Discussion Forums, but here's the post:
"I am fed up with reading fictional accounts of Oona Mary Unwin and her husband Carol. Carol Unwin inherited his money and is not a property developer. He had a very bad motor racing accident at the age of 21 and has been mentally and physically damaged since then. Mary Unwin married him purely for his money which she then proceeded to spend. He asked for a divorce which went through in 2011. He remarried her on the 5th October and she bought the yacht on the 11th October continuing her habit of spending his money. She always thought she knew everything and no one else knew anything. He was totally under her spell and believed her every word. Even when she told him she was an expert sailor. Carol has balance problems and his speech is slurred. She was always very self centred and head strong. That is the truth.

I was reluctantly his best man at their first wedding. Do not believe what you read in the newspapers."
If the foregoing is remotely correct, a certain poetic justice may have been served up, eh?
SloopJonB likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-17-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
I'm with sloop on this, she's my wife, not some schmuck I couldn't care less about. She does not have to obey me, but she would not be making that trip. I'd deal with the consequences including divorce afterwards.
That does not mean that I think anything sinister is going on here. Sometimes people get through life being self absorbed, over confident and using ******** to get what they want. The little background there is seems to point in that direction. They get by on other people's kindness and luck. But sometimes there is nobody around to be kind,and sometimes there luck runs out.
Might be a bit premature but TAADAA.
Old 10-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
If the foregoing is remotely correct, a certain poetic justice may have been served up, eh?
Particularly if he had her insured.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-18-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

West Morning News
Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wreckage of a yacht washed up across a long stretch of West Cornwall has been positively identified as belonging to a millionaire lone yachtswoman.

"One piece of the wreckage had an identification number from which we were able to confirm the name of the yacht.

"The spread of the wreckage was very large, from just south of Land's End to Godrevy and Hayle."

Emergency services called off the search operation on Tuesday and it is believed there is no chance for Mrs Unwin, known as Mary, to have survived.

It's still possible they could find the body. When I was 12 I has the misfortune of finding the body of a sailor who had been lost overboard two months prior. But that was in Lake Michigan.

Moral of the story: Know your limits.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-18-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Debris field:

Well, maybe she did nothing wrong and just got hit by a big meteorite.

File under "sh|t happens".