Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Woman Missing – A warning to Newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
For all of you who want to sail off into the sunset without any experience or proper training, and wonder why you get so much “advice” on this forum – here is a sobering example.
We will never know what happened and why she would do this to herself. But I respect her decision. She was 62, and she couldn't be that foolish. RIP.
davidpm likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
It seems more like a suicide mission.
I just don't want to say it myself.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-15-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Otherwise, it feels more like fear-mongering than cautionary tale.
Obviously, OP posted this meant no harm to anyone. I doubt it was fear mongering. But on the internet, there are plenty unintentional attitude towards others that "If I can't do it or I am unwilling to do that, you should not do that either". It makes the matter, when the receiving end fails to listen, they ganged up on him/her. Sadly, this happens every day on Sailnet.

Before I commit to become a sailor, I always though that sailors were the most friendly, open minded individuals with board shoulder and tolerance of diversity. I found it out that I was wrong. They don't like the ideas that are different from them, they don't like to share, they hates power boaters, and etc.

I would rather sail to the best of my ability. I wound rather be taking her through the storm than watching the sunset at the dock. Sailing is safer than ever, let's have some fun.
Flybyknight and Ninefingers like this.

Fine Print:
Old 10-15-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

My secret-conspiracy-theory hope is that she wanted to stage her own death, in order to duck out of... whatever she wanted to duck out of. At this very moment, maybe she is sitting on a beach somewhere, with a fruity drink in one hand and her laptop in the other, reading SN and laughing.
acarter92 likes this.
Old 10-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I lived near there on that coast for two years and travelled the full length of it around to Portsmouth. It is one scary and treacherous place, worse in many ways than the west coast here. Tides second only to Fundy, extreme tide races, only tiny nooks in the cliffs for harbours and on & on. Sailing off the Oregon coast would be a reasonable facsimile. It's the absolute definition of a lee shore.

No place to screw around or take things lightly or you will quickly become a finalist in the Darwin awards.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-15-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
It seems more like a suicide mission.
Something is fishy here. She's loaded. Hubby have someone take her out on the high seas? Terminal illness? Don't know really, but people w/ that kind of money don't buy boats 27 years old and only 31' and then do delivery sails in the dead of night alone.

They buy bigger boats that are newer and pay others to do the nasty deliveries for them while they wait in nice hotels for their new boat to arrive.

That story just doesn't make sense.
Old 10-15-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
My secret-conspiracy-theory hope is that she wanted to stage her own death, in order to duck out of... whatever she wanted to duck out of. At this very moment, maybe she is sitting on a beach somewhere, with a fruity drink in one hand and her laptop in the other, reading SN and laughing.
After reading the side bar about her appearance on "pawn stars" does make it seem she was experiencing some financial issues. though she did get back together with her husband. though it is not normal to pawn stuff to buy an Aston Martin is it? She seemed a bit eccentric to say the least.

The boat seems to be an odd choice as well, as her history was of Aston Martins and big diamonds, a 31 foot Moody does not seem to be her style, a Swan might be more like it.

Very strange story.

Last edited by miatapaul; 10-15-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
For all of you who want to sail off into the sunset without any experience or proper training, and wonder why you get so much “advice” on this forum – here is a sobering example.

“A daring multi-millionairess is missing feared dead after she bought a yacht and sailed it away the same day despite warnings about her lack of experience.”

Mary Unwin bought a Moody 31, a very capable boat. Despite a lack of experience and against the advice of others, she decided to sail it home. She is missing and wreckage has been found.

Fears for missing millionairess, 65, who took out yacht on solo voyage despite warnings as wreckage is found off Cornish coast | Mail Online

Edit: Here's another link: BBC News - Wreckage found in Cornwall missing yachtswoman Mary Unwin search
Have you guys watched the "Pawn King" video in that first link? Seems an unfortunate epilogue...

The last line is her saying "Since when do ladies want to wait for anything?"

What a weird story.
JulieMor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-15-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

Well, they've called off the search, so we may never know what happened. But shouldn't their be more debris on the shore if she got washed up?

I agree, it such an odd story.
Old 10-15-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

They've found the boat now. Looks like she traveled about 15 miles or so from her start.

Missing Yachtswoman: Boat Found Off Cornwall | Orange UK