Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Woman Missing – A warning to Newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Maybe 60-somethings are coming from a different era.... Today, among my early 30-something peers, this wouldn't turn any heads (assuming wife did in fact have the proper skills and experience).
Ehhh, not sure about this on my end...

However I know plenty of men, older and younger, who would do bone headed things like this without thinking twice (a few are actually friends who I am contemplating buying a life insurance policy on), the type who know all there is to know about pretty much everything. The type who tell you that if they hit a little squall they don't need reef points they can just start the motor and get away from that lee shore, and besides they are good swimmers even without PFD's

She paid 31,000 POUNDS for a 30 year old, 31' monohull? Isn't that like 45,000 bucks? Sounds like a scheme of some sort to me...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

May be she purposely ran into the rock at high speed. There must be some underlying reasons she did that. It is so beyond stupid.

They should call the Scotland Yard.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-15-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Missed that! So she sailed to Mousehole on Friday and then didn't leave until Saturday evening. I was about to say that would be strange indeed, but Mousehole is a drying harbor so, if she missed the early morning tide, she would have to wait until late afternoon to be able to leave. Penzance (just North of Mousehole) shows high tide on Saturday at 5:08 pm. Maybe foolish but not so strange.
How many nm is it from Mousehole to Bideford? How many hours would it take for a "normal" passage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
She seemed a bit eccentric to say the least.
Hey, it's England - they define the term.

There have been several similar, albeit less tragic, stories in the British yachting press this year. People with little or no experience buying boats and immediately leaving to sail them home. Ending up on the rocks just outside the harbour, dismasted and engineless within a few miles and so forth. The others I read about were all rescued by that remarkable British RNLI.

When you consider that London lies at the latitude of Prince Rupert or southern Alaska, it might give you some idea of the weather & sailing conditions these people are dealing with so casually.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-15-2012

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

Could have just fell overboard, it happens and the results are usually bad
Brad
Lancer 36
Old 10-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
She paid 31,000 POUNDS for a 30 year old, 31' monohull? Isn't that like 45,000 bucks? Sounds like a scheme of some sort to me...
Check out prices in Blighty - it wasn't at all out of line for a decent Moody.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-15-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
How many nm is it from Mousehole to Bideford? How many hours would it take for a "normal" passage?
'Don't know Bideford but about 90. Once you round Lands End (she already had) and assuming the reported Westerly force 5, you'd want to be well off-shore and you'd expect a fast broad reach for most of the way. But there are rocky outcrops, including off Sennen Cove, and if you stayed close in, on a lee shore and were a bit off track... at night ...
Old 10-15-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Check out prices in Blighty - it wasn't at all out of line for a decent Moody.
+1.
Until Hanse bought them, Moody hulls were built by by Marine Projects, who build super yachts and then fitted out by Moody. Good quality boats that retain their value. Not quite a Hinckley, but close. (BTW I'm currently shopping for a 425 so I'm a little biased).
Old 10-15-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
They've found the boat now. Looks like she traveled about 15 miles or so from her start.

Missing Yachtswoman: Boat Found Off Cornwall | Orange UK
The wreckage likely IS hers, but it's by no means definite. If you read the linked article, there's really no more info than there was with the previous piece about "wreckage" being found. I did note that the photos from earlier show a bit of upholstery that seems to match the pre-sale interior photo.

I don't think there's really any mystery here, just somebody biting off more tan they could chew. Happens all the time with motorcycles and sports cars, and sometimes the nimrods live to learn the lesson. Sometimes they don't.
"Sometimes you eat the bar..."
Old 10-15-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Man the trouble I could have got into if I had been able to simply buy aboat and head out in my youth, instead of having to take a while to save the money, learning all the while before heading out. However some one of such obesity, could have problems staying aboard, with such low, yachtie, flimsey lifelines, as the ones shown.