Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Woman Missing – A warning to Newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
...and, sometimes, in death.
We are all on a one way ticket
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Perhaps she had a heart attack.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 10-16-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS :- As a lot of you have already stated there is more to this than we know at this moument. This area is not the place to sail a boat you are unfamilar with and by yourself, at night, in bad weather. CONDOLANCES TO ALL INVOLVED. And thanks to search and rescue teams Sterrling work as usual. The plotting amongst us all reminds me of the canoeist two years ago faked his own death, and a old TV. program The rise and fall of Reginald Perrin. Conjecture all lets hope all is revialed the truth will out . AS ALWAYS GO SAFE.
Old 10-16-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Whoa! That's a bit heavy. There is a world of difference between counseling against doing something and trying to stop someone. I have an ambition to do something that the admiral thinks is crazy and dangerous but she would never dream of trying to stop me, anymore than I would try to actually prevent her from doing something, no matter what my opinion. Trying to stop someone only results in conflict and resentment.

Having said that, no one here knows what took place between them - but the conjecture is rife.
Not at all heavy. If he loved her he would not have allowed her to go alone. He had to have enough sense to know it was very dangerous, unless of course it was all part of a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
For the records, my wife never stops me. In fact I have hall passes and I can do anything I want.
I guess you have a big life insurance policy! I bet she makes sure it is paid up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
...and, sometimes, in death.
Yes true. I still think she is sitting on a beach somewhere. Just have a boat come pick her up from the boat and let it drift into the lee shore. All I can think of is Milton from Office Space sitting on the beach threatening to burn down the hotel because he did not like his drink...

Old 10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Not at all heavy. If he loved her he would not have allowed her to go alone.
Wow! Someone else who thinks they have the right to control the actions (stupid or otherwise) of another person. If my wife wanted to sail off by herself I'd ask if I could go with her but it's not my place to insist or forbid. She's my partner, not my property.
Old 10-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Wow! Someone else who thinks they have the right to control the actions (stupid or otherwise) of another person. If my wife wanted to sail off by herself I'd ask if I could go with her but it's not my place to insist or forbid. She's my partner, not my property.
Forbid maybe not, but insist, definitely - your wife is not your partner unless you are in business together - that's just yuppie P/C nonsense. She's your wife and as such is part of you, as you are part of her - if you love each other anyway.

Over a trip like that, I'd get insistent with a ROOMMATE or a co-worker or someone in the marina, let alone my wife.
JulieMor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Forbid maybe not, but insist, definitely - your wife is not your partner unless you are in business together - that's just yuppie P/C nonsense. She's your wife and as such is part of you, as you are part of her - if you love each other anyway.

Over a trip like that, I'd get insistent with a ROOMMATE or a co-worker or someone in the marina, let alone my wife.
I was going to ignore this but I really resent being called a yuppie and rarely have I made an effort to be P/C. I guess you like the old love, honour and OBEY!!

I have a wonderful relationship in which neither person feels the need to impose anything on the other. I feel I have a duty to provide counsel and then support her decisions and I know she feels the same. The need to control someone is inadequacy not love.
Old 10-16-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

from yachting monthly--
Wreckage could be missing yachtswoman's boat
Mon, 15 Oct 2012 Dick Durham

Moody wreckage identified by Coastguard

The wreckage of a sailing boat, believed to be that of a missing solo yachtswoman has been found by Coastguards in Sennen Cove, Cornwall, but there is no sign of a body.

Millionairess Ona Mary Unwin, 65, bought Seagair, a Moody 31 with a banker's draft for £32,000 last Thursday.

She planned to sail from Mousehole in Cornwall to her home in Bideford, North Devon and set off on Saturday against advice by the agency who sold the boat, Falmouth Yacht Brokers, not to make the trip on her own.

Relatives in Bideford raised the alarm on Sunday after she failed to appear.

Jayne Hobkirk, of Falmouth Yacht Brokers, said Mrs Unwin had a 'captain's ticket', but deduced she hadn't done any sailing for many years.

Lifeboats from Penlee, Sennen and St Ives and helicopters from RAF Culdrose searched the area.

Mrs Unwin, 65, had remarried her millionaire husband Carol, 61, just days before he bought her the second-hand 31ft yacht with a banker's draft on Thursday.

A Coastguard spokesman told YM: 'We have been using photographs of the boat and have identified it as a Moody from some wrecked piece of the cockpit.' Soft furnishings from the wreck have also been recovered.

The search continues.

sad, yes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 10-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was going to ignore this but I really resent being called a yuppie and rarely have I made an effort to be P/C. I guess you like the old love, honour and OBEY!!

I have a wonderful relationship in which neither person feels the need to impose anything on the other. I feel I have a duty to provide counsel and then support her decisions and I know she feels the same. The need to control someone is inadequacy not love.
My apologies Geoff - I didn't mean it as a personal attack on you. That term "partner" is a bit of a red flag to my bull. I perceive it as an indication of some degree of a lack of commitment to ones spouse. A wife rates a different term describing her relationship to you than the guy you run a hardware store with or share a boat with.

And no, I don't believe in "obey" - read my post again. That doesn't mean I'm just going to say "Okay dear, your decision, have a nice time" if she plans on doing something I know to be extraordinarily hazardous or foolhardy.

In a case like the one under discussion, I'd go with her or insist someone else with adequate experience go.

If she wanted to go hangliding, I'd insist she get some instruction, not just go along with her buying one and jumping off somewhere high.

To me that's the difference between being a couple in a marriage and two people living together or POSSLQ's as the Canadian government terms them (persons of the opposite sex sharing living quarters).

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-16-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road

I'm with sloop on this, she's my wife, not some schmuck I couldn't care less about. She does not have to obey me, but she would not be making that trip. I'd deal with the consequences including divorce afterwards.
That does not mean that I think anything sinister is going on here. Sometimes people get through life being self absorbed, over confident and using ******** to get what they want. The little background there is seems to point in that direction. They get by on other people's kindness and luck. But sometimes there is nobody around to be kind,and sometimes there luck runs out.