SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Woman Missing A warning to Newbies. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93109-woman-missing-%96-warning-newbies.html)

Geoff54 10-15-2012 11:52 AM

Woman Missing A warning to Newbies.

For all of you who want to sail off into the sunset without any experience or proper training, and wonder why you get so much “advice” on this forum – here is a sobering example.

“A daring multi-millionairess is missing feared dead after she bought a yacht and sailed it away the same day despite warnings about her lack of experience.”

Mary Unwin bought a Moody 31, a very capable boat. Despite a lack of experience and against the advice of others, she decided to sail it home. She is missing and wreckage has been found. :(

Fears for missing millionairess, 65, who took out yacht on solo voyage despite warnings as wreckage is found off Cornish coast | Mail Online

Edit: Here's another link: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-19944635

jameswilson29 10-15-2012 12:04 PM

Re: Woman Missing A warning to Newbies.

Tragic and always timely for this listserv...

Barquito 10-15-2012 12:08 PM

Man, that looks more like plane crash debris, than a boat. Maybe it was hit by another ship.

smackdaddy 10-15-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff54 (Post 933815)
For all of you who want to sail off into the sunset without any experience or proper training...

Well, sounds like that was not quite the case here...

Quote:

Jayne Hobkirk, of Falmouth Yacht Brokers, said Mrs Unwin had appeared on Thursday with her husband and paid for the boat with a banker's draft.

"She said she had a captain's ticket, but it sounded like she hadn't done any sailing for many years," she said.

"I told her to get a refresher course, but that would normally take some days."
To me the key is to be overly conservative...especially when "starting out" in a new-to-you boat (trust me, I just blew up a catamaran - heh-heh). On top of that, singlehanding immediately ups the risk - regardless of experience and training.

It sounds more like a string of bad decisions rather than simply lack of experience or proper training.

Sad story.

Ninefingers 10-15-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barquito (Post 933823)
Man, that looks more like plane crash debris, than a boat. Maybe it was hit by another ship.

Considering she left at 6:30pm that may well be the case.

dmchose 10-15-2012 12:25 PM

Conservative decision making, validating assumptions, three way communicating / closing the loop, Knowing when to STOP to think / ask and review best and safest maneuver are paramount at sea or any location that can produce harm to the living.

Geoff54 10-15-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 933826)
Well, sounds like that was not quite the case here...

To me the key is to be overly conservative...especially when "starting out" in a new-to-you boat (trust me, I just blew up a catamaran - heh-heh). On top of that, singlehanding immediately ups the risk - regardless of experience and training.

It sounds more like a string of bad decisions rather than simply lack of experience or proper training.

Sad story.

I don't know Smack, I can think of several things that I was quite good at when I was younger that I would be totally incompetent at if I tried today. She said that she had a qualification that the broker didn't recognize and it sounds like everybody was warning her that she didn't have the experience. It was reported by the newspapers, so it must be right. :)

JulieMor 10-15-2012 12:39 PM

So much of that story just doesn't make sense. A 65 year old woman buys a boat with her husband, then, despite warnings not to sail until she had some experience, sets sail at night through treacherous waters in stormy weather. Her husband drives home to await her arrival. :confused:

Women are usually more cautious than men. And, as we age, we all become more cautious. I can maybe see the 61 year old husband saying, "I'll sail the boat back home. You drive back and meet me." But for the wife to say that? Very unusual.

It seems more like a suicide mission.

nolatom 10-15-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barquito (Post 933823)

I'm going to stick up for ships just on general principle. Easy theory to put forward but often the explanation is something else.

120 miles, onshore wind out of the west at Force 5 (say 20 knots), seas 4-5 feet? Alone? Lots of ways to end up on that "treacherous" lee shore without a ship.

smackdaddy 10-15-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff54 (Post 933839)
I don't know Smack, I can think of several things that I was quite good at when I was younger that I would be totally incompetent at if I tried today. She said that she had a qualification that the broker didn't recognize and it sounds like everybody was warning her that she didn't have the experience. It was reported by the newspapers, so it must be right. :)

Yeah, who knows what all the real details are? I just wanted to point out the claimed certification (UK guys can chime in on the training required for RYA certification at this level) - as it was apparently not a case of some newb "sailing off into the sunset without any experience or proper training".

These kinds of threads - as you've titled it - are intended to be cautionary tales for newbs to establish a certain point of view. But, that means, even more so, that the details really need to be right on. Otherwise, it feels more like fear-mongering than cautionary tale.

This just seems to be a much more complicated case than a complete newb throwing caution and common sense into the toilet and hoisting the sails.

In fact, it might be more a cautionary tale for the semi-trained-and-experienced guys to take some refresher courses (Safety at Sea, ASA Certs, etc.) and forego singlehanding.