Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road
geography

I grew up on Chatham Cape Cod~ I don't need a geography lesson amigo of course it's not Newport
Just could not resist mentioning two a
special places

I'm sure there's more too~ my dad while working on the massive airport project used to sail in Kowloon Harbor~ I'm sure Hong Kong is on the list
cheers

love the Marblehead comment
legendary place too
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Capital of the........

Wherever it is, I'll pass. Sailing in and out of congested harbors is not on my itinerary.
jimrafford likes this.
Old 10-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Well, if sailing capital of the world is the place with more sailboats sailing it will be easy to find given adequate statistics but I guess that will be somewhere in Croatia, at least in the summer.

But I don't think that should be the way to look at it but we should be looking at the place where sailboats are more important in the economy, in public interest, in the number of professional sailors, racers, boat designers and professionals that are connected with the sector. In my opinion that is what defines the sailboat capital.

Given these parameters I would not call it a city but a region: I would say between La Rochelle et Lorient.

Do you know any other city that, as Lorient, as a Sail city (La cité de la Voile)?

Musée voile à Lorient | Cité de la Voile Éric Tabarly

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-15-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

The world is a big place, with lots of great sailing venues..can't pick just one

Though the season is short, I think that it doesn't get much better than sailing in Maine. The sheer beauty, the infinite number of destinations and stops, The challenges to a sailor and the ability to get away from it all etc.
Old 10-15-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

I'd pick Newport over Annapolis for the quality of the sailing conditions, and the remarkable variety of boats seen (Newport Shipyard vs. Bert Jabin's, not even remotely comparable), the America's Cup heritage and a host of other reasons...

For the Sailing Capital of AMERICA, that is... Anyone who's thinking of "the WORLD", perhaps really needs to get out more... (grin)

Places like Cowes/Southampton, Kiel, La Rochelle, Auckland and Sydney all play host to incredibly vibrant sailing scenes that I'm not sure either Annapolis or Newport come close to matching...

The Barcolana in Trieste, where 2,000 boats cross the start line together...

Old 10-15-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The world is a big place, with lots of great sailing venues..can't pick just one

Though the season is short, I think that it doesn't get much better than sailing in Maine. The sheer beauty, the infinite number of destinations and stops, The challenges to a sailor and the ability to get away from it all etc.
It is my intention to cruise to Maine sooner or later, for the reasons you mention.

The charts of the coastline are intimidating. Rocks...all rocks. In the Cheseapeake, if you hit the bottom, it's like running into pudding and you just back off.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
My vote is for Newport, RI for the "Sailing Capital of the......" No particular reason, but I think it has more of a sailing history. DRB
Now thats so untrue. United States was first colonized through the Chesapeake, Jamestown etc with British ships looking for deep water ports. Annapolis and Baltimore were among first on the list as ports. Annapolis has been one of the 5 capitals of the United States. Annapolis ignomy of being the largest slave port where slaves were brough from Africa and landed first in Annapolis. Alex Haley famour book ROOTS s written about Kunte Kinte who landed in Annapolis ans was sold in its slave house on Ego Alley. Annapolis played an important part of the War of 1812 as a garrison for the British fleet.

Quote:
I admit, I'm partial to voting for Newport. I've been coming to Narragansett Bay for 25 years and know I still haven't seen it all. Within a few hours sail, there are multiple islands and even more destinations on the Bay, if you aren't up to a coastal passage. You can head down Long Island Sound or up Buzzards Bay and spend a lifetime trying to get to all the ports. You can have anything from a 5 star experience to a quiet anchorage and everything in between. And summer sailing conditions are usually ideal, absent the threat of hurricane.

While I love the Annapolis area, it seems all admit that the summer is hot, humid and has light wind.Minniewaska
Everything you said is true about the Newport area could also be said of the Annapolis and Chesapeake . The many places to anchor here are unbeleiveable, harbors where you can actually anchor not choked by paid mooring fields. Rivers you can go up and anchor at every turn on the Eastern Shore with towns from the 1600;s. Anchorages in the midst of pure wildife not seen up north until you get to Maine/ While it is true it is unsually hot and humid here for two months ( thats why we come north to the LI Sound in August), our sailing season starts in March and ends near Christmas. You guys are have already put your boats away and we have a couple months to go here. So therre is 3 more months of sailing here. Many of us also do not put our boats on land in winter also. The think about the Chesapeak is you dont have to "look" or wait for an inlet or harbor to find anchorages...they abound everywhere. You also dont have to worry usually about rocks like the " Little Mermaid" holing your boat. On the Chessie current directuion or speed is never an issue and we look to sail for a weekend, all we care about is wind direction/ Up north current is king. We also find it cheaper to sail in the Chesapeake than up north.

We enjoy the best of both sailing worlds, and sail in both sailing worlds. We always encourage our friends to come north wirth us because we enjoy it. We also have met a lot of nice sailnetters on our travels north who have been very gracious, and have encouraged them to come south in the fall when the sailing here cannot be beat.

I think its a tie for Sailing Capital of the United States between Annapolis and Newport, they both have their charm and their advantages,,,some of which are the same. But the tie is for second place because I thing the NZ have it over both cities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by priscilla View Post
Marblehead!
Here, here!!

At least, that's what we said when I was growing up there many decades ago. I think both Newport and Annapolis have grown since then. Marblehead couldn't because the harbor is only so big, and with a 9-foot tide, it's all moorings and not much of a drysailing scene at all.

Did all those other pretenders to the title have a 45-boat frostbite fleet on the line every Sunday in winter? ;-)
Old 10-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Yaeh nothing like the SEven spreader rigs or the trans ocean racers at the Newport Shipyard. We usually moor on the other side of the Goat Island brridge when we travel their vs the crowded harbor mooring field. Our dinghy ride past the Newport Shipyard usually means passing some outragous sailing machines. Where do thes boats go in November?

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'd pick Newport over Annapolis for the quality of the sailing conditions, and the remarkable variety of boats seen (Newport Shipyard vs. Bert Jabin's, not even remotely comparable), the America's Cup heritage and a host of other reasons...

For the Sailing Capital of AMERICA, that is... Anyone who's thinking of "the WORLD", perhaps really needs to get out more... (grin)

Places like Cowes/Southampton, Kiel, La Rochelle, Auckland and Sydney all play host to incredibly vibrant sailing scenes that I'm not sure either Annapolis or Newport come close to matching...

The Barcolana in Trieste, where 2,000 boats cross the start line together...

Or the Round the Island Race with 1650 entries.