Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing Capital of the........

Just to keep the fire burning. Our marina has several boaters from Annapolis (or vicinity) that come up for the entire season and leave their boats here on the hard over the winter. There are something like a dozen flights a day between Baltimore and Providence. Does Annapolis get boaters from Newport that come for the entire season?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ha Minnie..see what you started.

Greatest Sailing Capital is like guns on boats and which anchor is best....evokes emotion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ha Minnie..see what you started.

Greatest Sailing Capital is like guns on boats and which anchor is best....evokes emotion
I will confess to the intention.

However, I hope this one can be more civil and in good fun. So far, so good, it seems.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-15-2012

For the poster that asked how to define it, I say you can define it any way you like.

For me, to be a sailing capital, it doesn't need to have the most boats. But let's face it, if its the sailing capital, it needs a lot of sailboats. However, even a place like Newport is not always crowded. East Passage around Fort Adams and Dumpling Island can be a bottleneck, but West Passage is nearly private most of the time.

I say it also needs many weekend sailing destinations and a variety of experiences. It would be nice to have a rich history of the sport, not just a port, and manufacture of sailboats, even if from an era prior to the exodus of manufacturing from the US. A museum or two couldn't hurt.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 10-15-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road
Italy

PCP. wonderful reference to Italy I just did some research by my numbers am I correct they raced literally yesterday~ will we have to wait a whole other year for that gem

The Barcolana regata (Slovene: barkovljanka) or Autumn Cup(Coppa d'Autunno), named after the village of Barcola, is a historical European sailing race born in 1969 thanks to the Società Velica di Barcola e Grignano of Trieste. It takes place annually in the Gulf of Trieste, every second Sunday in October and is one of the largest sailing races in the world with over 2000 participants.
Old 10-15-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Now thats so untrue. United States was first colonized through the Chesapeake, Jamestown etc with British ships looking for deep water ports. Annapolis and Baltimore were among first on the list as ports. Annapolis has been one of the 5 capitals of the United States. Annapolis ignomy of being the largest slave port where slaves were brough from Africa and landed first in Annapolis. Alex Haley famour book ROOTS s written about Kunte Kinte who landed in Annapolis ans was sold in its slave house on Ego Alley. Annapolis played an important part of the War of 1812 as a garrison for the British fleet.
While your statements are accurate, the New England area was also heavily colonized in the early 1600's in Massachusetts. Extensive whaling was done, large ports for merchant ships, and shipbuilding all up and down the New England Coast in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Marblehead and Beverly make claims to being the birthplace of the American Navy. Portsmouth, RI area is home to Bristol, Pearson, J-Boat and a whole host of other modern recreational boats manufacturers. Newport, RI has hosted the AC. This the sailing history that I was referring to.

I have sailed many times on the Chessy and my parents had a house on the Eastern Shore banks and my cousin has boat and house on the Wye. The great thing about the Chessy is the ability to anchor almost anywhere in a little creek or cove. The bad thing of the Chessy is August. Hot, no wind, and daily thunderstorms.
Old 10-16-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I say it also needs many weekend sailing destinations and a variety of experiences. It would be nice to have a rich history of the sport, not just a port, and manufacture of sailboats, even if from an era prior to the exodus of manufacturing from the US. A museum or two couldn't hurt
Sounds like San Diego/Orange County California now, what is this "on the hard" and "winter" you guys speak of?
Except we got no excessive heat, bugs, lightening or hurricanes to enjoy.
Old 10-16-2012
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road

i love sailing the sf bay. i dont think it's the sailing capital of the world or country, and that's an advantage, i think.

prices are relatively low for slips and there is good availability, there are enough sailing clubs that you can pick from various criteria, and the wind is fantastic. depths are generally good, no lobster pots or other fishing hazards. there seems to be a good racing scene, though i am not familiar with it personally.

oh, and year-round sailing, depending on ones preferences, but either way no ice or snow.

and yet, not the center of the sailing world. oh well.
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

The Wye...one of our favorite spots is Granary or Dividing Creek tucked in amongst the tree and the bald eagles.

Another criteria is which of the boat shows is the largest. Museums...huh....why isnt the Naval Academy in Newport? The largest museums in the US are in DC on a tributary of the Chessie 28 miles away. Baltimore is and was one of top 2 ports in the US and the reason the British wanted her in 1812 were for the shipyards there. NOrfolk....is where the Navy is. US Anthem- Star Spangled Banner was written in a spot I pass every time I take my boat out of the Club where she is kept. Did OP sail visit Newport? VOLVO race has come to Annapolis many times. You do have it with the Americas Cup. Great tradition.

We start sailing March 15 ( Ideas of march), leave the Chessie in August for three weeks and travel to the other sailing capitol of the United States ( Newport area) for three weeks. Gorge ourself on lobster and scallops as well as cool weather. It is as close a sailing exeprience as we can get on the Chessie and wind dies here. The we come back for blue crabs and crab cakes and sail till Christmas. Gives us a 9 month sailing season.

I have though I would like to leave my boat up there for June July and bring her back the end of August. So many more places we could visit or revisit. Can take one of those 8 filghts out of BWI. Doesnt however make sense to cut my sailing season 2 months short so Id bring her home

BTW, the only people who acn truly make an ACCURATE comparison are those who have sailed in both places ( anyone can read a map or book) So tell me how many have you have sailesd at least a couple of weeks in both places. Raise your hand............I though so. Those who have would say they like both

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-16-2012

Quote:
....why isnt the Naval Academy in Newport?
Because we have the Naval War College in Newport. We let you sort out the duds and then the successful ones come here.

Quote:
...US Anthem- Star Spangled Banner was written in a spot I pass every time I take my boat out of the Club....
Now that's pretty cool, but not really sailing capital stuff. Francis Scott Key was a lawyer and poet, not a sailor.

Quote:
I have though I would like to leave my boat up there for June July and bring her back the end of August. So many more places we could visit or revisit. Can take one of those 8 filghts out of BWI. Doesnt however make sense to cut my sailing season 2 months short so Id bring her home
I've known several to do it. Most end up leaving their boats here, but often start by bringing them back and forth. Typically, one direction is a cruising vacation and they have her delivered the other. Then the delivery expense starts eating at them and they stay.

Also, while you can rent a slip for two months, the breakeven for the entire seasonal rate is roughly three months, so they all do the entire season so they aren't on a firm deadline.

Quote:
BTW, the only people who acn truly make an ACCURATE comparison are those who have sailed in both places ( anyone can read a map or book) So tell me how many have you have sailesd at least a couple of weeks in both places. Raise your hand............I though so. Those who have would say they like both
Well, of course, you're right. I have sailed in both places, along with a few others than lay claim to the title. Naturally, with so many Chessy sailors up here, we get a few invites. But your conclusion ruins the entire spirit of the debate. This is all for fun........ I still don't recall hearing of too many Narragansett Bay sailors that keep their boat on the Chessy........

Jeanneau 54DS