Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Capital of the........

Sorry guys, the title has already been taken! Ilhabela (on the coast of Sao Paulo) is the "sailing capital" (of Brazil anyway!). Great climate, year-round sailing, regattas, reliable wind and spectacular natural beauty!

Old 10-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I was hoping for a few international competitors! Someday, I will have to go judge for myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I still don't recall hearing of too many Narragansett Bay sailors that keep their boat on the Chessy........-Minneswaska

Thats a good point. I have often wondered why since your season essentially ends Oct 1 for many why some dont sail down and enjoy fall here as well as spring the following year and then sail back up. There are plenty of PB who pull here in October. We do have one person who comes from NE ( Portsmouth, NH every October and keeps his boat here in the shoulder months to get 3 extra months of sailing in.

We do see an influx of people in October, but usually they are headed further south. I dont blame them either. January in Maryland vs January in Florida or the Bahamas...no brainer/

On the other hand maybe this really is a terrible place to sail and I have blinders on ( hopefully this will keep everyone away so we can keep it to ourselves)

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Quote:
...US Anthem- Star Spangled Banner was written in a spot I pass every time I take my boat out of the Club....

Now that's pretty cool, but not really sailing capital stuff. Francis Scott Key was a lawyer and poet, not a sailor

He was negotiating prisioner releases and was havng dinner with the British officers, they didnt want to let him go so as to give the position and strength away. Key also was a supporter of the slave trade and helped defend the owners of the large slave trading houses in Annapolis.

They dont tell that part of his story when they memorialize him

Some times we anchor where he was sitting on the British ship watching the mombardment of Ft McHenry. It is our favorite spot to watch July 4th firemeowrks over the Fort.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-16-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

+1 for Newport. Spent many happy weeks there in the summer and in my mind Newport earns it. Vast array of activities and destinations, great place to eat and tours to take also amazing scenery and amazing sailboats everywhere. And generally decent wind in the summer.

p.s. I live almost within sight of Minnewaska State Park.
CBinRI likes this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-16-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

I contend that the sailing capitol of the World is now the Internet.....I mean, just look how many sailors are here right now!!! Modern times and arm-chair sailing

Of course, in real time, my vote is where ever your boat happens to be.
PCP, chef2sail and Minnewaska like this.
Old 10-16-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I think Annapolis's claim of being the 'Sailing Capital' is a pun lost on most who read it. The basis for Annapolis' s claim as the Sailing Capital is that we are the only U.S. state capital with a serious sailing reputation. Most, if not all state capitals are inland so that is why our fair city says that it is the Sailing Capital.

The misunderstood pun seemingly has worked a little in that someone took it seriously enough to decide that the Sailing Hall of Fame belongs in Annapolis much to the surprise and consternation of much of Annapolis's sailing community, but that's another story altogether......
..and what other State can you find a Governor walking the docks looking to find another way to tax the marine industry...
Old 10-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Sorry guys, the title has already been taken! Ilhabela (on the coast of Sao Paulo) is the "sailing capital" (of Brazil anyway!). Great climate, year-round sailing, regattas, reliable wind and spectacular natural beauty!

Ilhabela - Capital da Vela - YouTube
Beautiful place. I think it makes more sense to talk about a country's sail capital and in that regards Portucal, Cascais. But even if we talk at world level and if we consider big sailing international top events, Cascais would be hard to beat. Just look at the big sailing events that took place there in one year:

Well in one year Cascais had:

America's cup (Ac 45)
Volvo Ocean race end of leg and in port races.
Audi med cup (TP 52 and soto 40)
Open 60 ( Europa warm up)
RC44 (Cascais cup)
Mod 70 (end of leg and in port race)

And even if I consider that Dinghy competitions are less important, 5 years ago the ISAF sail world championships were sailed there.

The conditions for sailing are just great, take a look:

and the town and surroundings are beautiful:

Cascais is not only a nice place for racing, it has a great bay protected by the predominant winds. It was a favorite place of mine when I cruised in Portugal, 30 years ago, on my traditional wooden boat. Great place, great food and great night live.

Regards

Paulo
copacabana likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 10-16-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Noank, CT is the sailing capital of the Milky Way.
Old 10-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Having been to every port on Lake Michigan, to Mackinac Island, into the North Channel and on to the Benjamin Islands, I can say the only want I had was warmer weather (occasionally) and a longer season. There are some absolutely gorgeous places to visit on the Great Lakes.

I had a day sail out of Newport and one out of Annapolis and both are beautiful. But the shallow waters of the Chesapeake and the constant vigil one has to keep on depth made me long for the carefree sailing I know so well sailing out of Chicago. Newport was flush with maxi-sailboats. Both Newport and Annapolis are rich with sailing history. I'd like to get to know both better.

I spent a week sailing the Bahamas and a week sailing in the Keys. Both have left me with great memories. One worldly sailor told me you can get everything you want in the Bahamas. I'd like to return to both places.

Sailing Capital of the World? I can't say. I haven't been everywhere. But where I have been sailing has almost always kept me in awe and happy as a clam.