Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Chesapeake depths

Second time you said this.

Not sure where you went sailing on the Chesapeake. Was your Annapolis experience your only one. The Chessy is plenty deep to sail in and once out of the rivers and creeks I never worry about depth except in obvious places . Up to 6 miles in width at the narrowest place.

This is from Pooles Island down to the mouth about 300 miles.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing Capital of the........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Thats a good point. I have often wondered why since your season essentially ends Oct 1 for many....
I think there are only a dozen or so that have hauled from our marina so far. But, you're right, 10/1 is about all you can count on for sure. Sept is an incredible month. However, last Saturday, we saw 15 kts and upper 60 deg temps. Pretty good! This coming weekend shows one promising day, but I am probably dropping the sails this weekend. Nov 1 is the most popular haul target.

Quote:
On the other hand maybe this really is a terrible place to sail and I have blinders on ( hopefully this will keep everyone away so we can keep it to ourselves)
Now there is a clever angle.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post

p.s. I live almost within sight of Minnewaska State Park.
where my wife and I went on our first date. Indian word for Good Water, reflecting on the crystal clear lake. Beautiful place.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Chesapeake depths

Quote:
Second time you said this.

Not sure where you went sailing on the Chesapeake. Was your Annapolis experience your only one.
It was just a short sail out of Annapolis. But we were about 20 minutes out of port and still watching the depth. The skipper ran aground in what looked like to be in the center of open water. And when we took the water taxi in the evening, the pilot had to stay very clear of shore to come around the bend.

Very limited experience, yes, so my opinion should be taken with less than a grain of salt. But I still loved being there.
Old 10-16-2012

depth

20 minutes out of Annapolis means you haven't even got out of the Severn River. You went from a creek to a river. The river has shoals for sure that you have to watch. The Bay is really open water for sailboats . We rarely have to watch depths there except when we enter an estuary (river or creek). Since they flow into the Chesapeake they deposit materials at the bends as well ad the mouths where the tributaries meet the Bay. That's the shoals you were avoiding. The British and other nations brought many deep draft sailing vessels all over the Chessey and its tributaries when the nation was being discovered. Annapolis and Baltimore were deep e.nough way up to the docks. Often times in some of the smaller creeks they would need a horse team.

You never made it out to the Chesapeake in 20 minutes. Next time you visit here lete know,y wife and I will take you oipt into the Chesapeake.

In your boat search there are many good used sailboats in this area.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-16-2012

AdrenalineJunkie is on a distinguished road

Beaufort, NC

Yachting Magazine: Best Yachting Town in America (sorry, can't post links yet)

Travel Magazine: Coolest Small Town in America
Old 10-16-2012

The northern part of Narraagansett Bay reminds me a bit of the Chessy, in that uncomfortable depths (if not shallows) extend quite a bit from shore. For example, in the Greenwich area or just south of Quonset. In both cases, it can extend almost a mile from shore. However, in the more southern parts of the Bay, you can virtually sail right up to just about anything you can see. Channel nav aids are irrelevant. Since most of us will often sail out of the Bay, depths really become irrelevant, less you remain very near shore. In the Chessy, I've found that nav aids are always very relevant.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 10-16-2012

Is 15-20 feet considered an uncomfoirtable depth to sail in ( steady depth)? Maybe it is because in your area its rocks vs mud on ours. You are right if you are looking for solid 50 ft depths, Stay away from the Chessapeake,

I give in. Annapolis is not the sailing capitol. Its a wannabe. And the Chesapeake, why its really a hot place with no wind to keep a boat. Shallow water too. Go north and sail (May 15-Oct 1). We really dont want you to sail here. Please stop coming to our abysmal boat show and taking up the time of the wannabe sailors here. I think someopne once derisivbely refered to us as " Chesapeake Lions".

We really dont need any more boats cluttering up our waters or eating our crabs. There are barely enough to go around for us so if you come here you will only drive the price of them up further.

Stay away its really a dangerous place for you and your boat.

Forget coming up the Delaware when traveling south and go directlky accross Diamond Shoals to South carolina.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 10-16-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Beautiful place. I think it makes more sense to talk about a country's sail capital and in that regards Portucal, Cascais.

Cascais is not only a nice place for racing, it has a great bay protected by the predominant winds. It was a favorite place of mine when I cruised in Portugal, 30 years ago, on my traditional wooden boat. Great place, great food and great night live.

Regards

Paulo
Estoril is indeed a wonderful place... I shot the Portugese Grand Prix 5 or 6 times back in the late 80's early 90's, when the race was held in September in conjunction with the Spanish GP at Jerez the following week... It was always one of my favorite gigs, spending the week in between along the Algarve was the real treat...

Yours is a marvelous country, Paolo - I've always loved Portugal, and any of her colonies... The Azores and Maderia are definitely near the top of my list of places I hope to sail to someday...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2012

Quote:
Is 15-20 feet considered an uncomfoirtable depth to sail in ( steady depth)?
Not at all. But single digits are. Come on man, this isn't personal. You have single digits that can extend nearly a mile from shore. We do too in some places.

Quote:
I give in. Annapolis is not the sailing capitol.
Quitter.

We are just having fun here. No offense intended, my friend. By the way, I love crab cakes, but will never pick another crab as long as I live.

Jeanneau 54DS