SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing Capital of the........ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93112-sailing-capital.html)

Minnewaska 10-15-2012 12:56 PM

Sailing Capital of the........

I was reading another ad that claimed to be the "Sailing Capital of the World".

The two most common I see claim the title are Newport, RI and Annapolis, MD. I've seen the Bahamas give it a shot, as well as the Virgin Island (US and British)and several more.

I admit, I'm partial to voting for Newport. I've been coming to Narragansett Bay for 25 years and know I still haven't seen it all. Within a few hours sail, there are multiple islands and even more destinations on the Bay, if you aren't up to a coastal passage. You can head down Long Island Sound or up Buzzards Bay and spend a lifetime trying to get to all the ports. You can have anything from a 5 star experience to a quiet anchorage and everything in between. And summer sailing conditions are usually ideal, absent the threat of hurricane.

While I love the Annapolis area, it seems all admit that the summer is hot, humid and has light wind.

So, let's hear where you believe is the Sailing Capital of the World. I'm sure our international friends aren't going to just let the US run away with the title.

floridajaxsailor 10-15-2012 01:09 PM

vote

Cape Cod

yet will never forget seeing a Sunday horizon full of boats in Newport there's nowhere like it

kwaltersmi 10-15-2012 01:46 PM

Re: Sailing Capital of the........

I suppose it's a matter of definition. Are we talking about the location with the most registered/licensed sailboats? Most regattas? Best cruising grounds? Best chandleries?

I haven't been to either Newport or Annapolis, but both seem to claim the title most often, at in the United States.

rockDAWG 10-15-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 933852)
I was reading another ad that claimed to be the "Sailing Capital of the World".

There is no such title. There are too many criteria. Some like it blonde, some like it D cup and I adore A cup. :laugher

Barquito 10-15-2012 02:08 PM

Madison, Wisconsin.

"78 square miles, surrounded by reality."

The center of the universe is anywhere I am.:laugher

DrB 10-15-2012 02:31 PM

Geography Lesson

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor (Post 933860)
Cape Cod

yet will never forget seeing a Sunday horizon full of boats in Newport there's nowhere like it

Newport, RI is not a part of Cape Cod. Cape Cod is a portion of Massachusetts.

My vote is for Newport, RI for the "Sailing Capital of the......" No particular reason, but I think it has more of a sailing history. However, having the Naval Academy in the heart of Annapolis is a strong reason too for that city.

DrB

priscilla 10-15-2012 02:36 PM

Marblehead!

Jeff_H 10-15-2012 02:43 PM

I think Annapolis's claim of being the 'Sailing Capital' is a pun lost on most who read it. The basis for Annapolis' s claim as the Sailing Capital is that we are the only U.S. state capital with a serious sailing reputation. Most, if not all state capitals are inland so that is why our fair city says that it is the Sailing Capital.

The misunderstood pun seemingly has worked a little in that someone took it seriously enough to decide that the Sailing Hall of Fame belongs in Annapolis much to the surprise and consternation of much of Annapolis's sailing community, but that's another story altogether......

CBinRI 10-15-2012 02:50 PM

I vote for Newport. More wind. Deeper water. More destinations.

ScottUK 10-15-2012 04:08 PM

You can argue about what city is the 'sailing capital of the world' but if you refer to 'city of sails' most would know what you are talking about. I would think NZ would rank near the top per capita for sailing experience.