Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

Captainmeme, you can't line it as it would interfere with the agitator inside. When you have to dump it, you just turn it over into a plastic bag and then tie the bag and toss it in the garbage or carry it home to put on your plants. You don't have to clean the solids chamber after you dump it out; just add more coconut fiber and you're good to go again. It's not a big deal- it looks like dirt. I personally carry mine into the jungle and dump it where no one will step on it. It finishes decomposing quickly in the tropics.
Old 10-15-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Only in a NDZ. However you can take a whizz over the side of a boat in a NDZ
& that's legal. Go figure???
I think you will find, and will for sure if you ask...it is NOT legal to dump urine over the side anywhere...it is "untreated sewage" as far as the EPA is concerned.

I agree that you can do either over the side legally, it is when you contain it...it becomes a problem.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Only in a NDZ. However you can take a whizz over the side of a boat in a NDZ
& that's legal. Go figure???
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
I think you will find, and will for sure if you ask...it is NOT legal to dump urine over the side anywhere...it is "untreated sewage" as far as the EPA is concerned.

I agree that you can do either over the side legally, it is when you contain it...it becomes a problem.
Well urinating and defecating in public are not legal. You can be cited for at the very least public indecency.
Old 10-15-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I have been using mine for several years now, and there is no way I'd consider going back to the traditional head. No more pumps, thru hulls , valves, hoses, clogging, breakdowns, etc, etc. I built my own for under $25 worth of materials. They are quite simple to build, but C-head has one for around $400. As others come on line , expect the price to continue dropping, until China or India starts making them for under $50.
I dump my 5 litre liquids jug every two days, but have gone 6 weeks, before dumping the solids container, usually back in the bush. In hot weather, dumping is far less frequent. In winter, ading Pooh powder absorbs any liquids in the solids, and helps a lot. Google Pooh powder.
As dumping liquids overboard is environmentally harmless, doing so is no ones business but your own. Some use a cockpit drain for privacy, and to keep it from those to whom it is non of their business.
MedSailor and Familycruisers like this.
Old 10-15-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

And again, no one that owns and uses one mentions the little problem of the tinny flies.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 10-16-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Simon, I've never had a problem with tiny flies and only know of a few rare cases where this has happened. I don't think it's common enough to worry about. What you have to do is read all the posts by users of composting heads and you'll see that pretty much everyone who has converted to a composting toilet is happy with it. I know of only 3 cases where people uninstalled their composting toilets (C&C being one of them). Then search threads on regular marine toilets to read all the tales of woe! All I can suggest to potential users is visit a boat with a composting toilet installed, speak to the owners about what is involved and try not to take advice from people who don't have one (but have strong opinions in spite of this).
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 10-16-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Based only on what I've read, I think I'd be inclined to go with a composting unit if I were faced with installing a head system from scratch. It would be much cheaper and easier to install since it avoids much of the plumbing hassle. In my experience holding tank systems are far from odor free as well, so I somewhat see it as a "pays yo' money and takes yo' chances" proposition. There are unplesantries with either system. Pumping out is not exactly a fun hobby, but neither is carrying out bottles of piss and bags of crap.

If you weren't happy with a composting system, it would also be less hassle to uninstall and replace with a traditional holding tank system than the other way 'round.
Old 10-16-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

It would be nice to have less holes in my boat.

If ever I was to start from scratch I would have a composting head and my sink would drain above the water line like my bilge pump.

Raw water intake for cooling the engine and prop shaft would be the only through hulls.

Maybe someone will invent a shaft log that does double duty as a stuffing box and a sea water intake for the engine (Mainesail...here is your get rich quick scheme )

My depth transducer would shoot through the hull and I would skip the silly paddle wheel for speed through the water and just use speed over ground via GPS.

Just sayin....
Old 10-16-2012

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

I've had a Nature's Head for three seasons now. I would not go back to a regular marine toilet.

I had a fruit fly "mishap" last year - solved by putting a bit of screen over my head's vent and using coconut coir instead of peat moss. (You can buy this at Petco or similar large pet store that has reptile bedding: Zilla Coconut Husk Brick Reptile Bedding at PETCO

Absolutely no smell.
Old 10-16-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Because Chrisncate did not reply to this thread, here is what he (they) said in another thread about the composting head;
Quote:
Oh, and we hate the composting head. Totally hate it. Everything else seems to be alright, except for filthy marina heads which we hate almost as much as the composting head. I can't wait to re install a head and illegally pump out overboard each and every time I go to the bathroom. What a joy that'll be..
and...

Quote:
Can you give an assessment of the composting head? Strengths? Weaknesses? Opportunities? Threats?
My opinion is that they are moderately unsanitary but probably doable on a medium to large boat with hot water on tap - gross and way too "up close" on a small boat with no hot water on tap.

The hot water is easy to live without, a composting head 1.5 feet from where you sleep and lay your head is .. bad. Keep in mind we are on a SMALL small boat, an A 30 isn't like a Catalina 30, it's real personal and up close in here.

Example: I am sleeping in the V, and suppose the Admiral has to pee (or god forbid, pinch a coil) - well, she's right there, hi! Some things are just things you need to do more than three feet from another human. And the coffee filters... oh the coffee filters..

We have a small boat.

EDIT: I should note the difference in space that the Natures Head takes up as compared to her old traditional head. The N/H is tall, very tall and it makes a huge difference in our small head area. It takes up a lot of area and it's way high. It makes a difference. The old head enabled the bathroom area to be closed off and private when in use, the N/H does not allow this on our boat due to the logistics of the thing from the perspective of the V berth. It still closes off from the salon, just not the V.
and ...

Quote:
I think they might be ok to good on a bigger boat, a small boat not so much. I guess the truth about heads is nothing can compare to a house toilet. I have yet to encounter a marine head I find acceptable. You either hold it all in a gross smelly holding tank, or you try to ferment it in a composting head, or you pump overboard illegally for the least amount of fuss and hope you don't get caught.
THESE ARE NOT NECESSARILY MY VIEWS. Chrisncate lived with a composting head on their boat, so I defer to their experience.

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-16-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Tags
air head , composting toilet , head , waste odors