Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

I have an Air Head, the only one similar to it is the "Nature's head" almost identical in overall design, a tad cheaper....but consrtuction quality of the "Nature's Head leaves a big gap. Everyone I know who has pucaseedd a Nature's Head either returned it or gave it away and bought an "Air Head". The foot print ismost identical to aa port-i-pottie, but it's 6" taller and more substantial. Quite simply of the composting heads available, the Air Head is the best (about $985). Mine fit perfectly where my portipottie was and the air vent came out just below my Dorade box.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
\

I never liked the trap door over the big hole ( Conservative birth canal). So I just raised the lip around it, and went for a lift out stainless lid from the thrift store. No liquids getting into the compost, and a far simpler solution. I just remove it when taking a dump. The rest of the time it keeps the compost drier.
No complaints with mine. Cost me under $25 to build. I'd never go back to a traditional head.
Your mod sounds pretty effective, others looking into a N/H might consider what you did. The pee thing was an issue for sure, regarding the design. I also freely admit that a large part of our problem turned out to just be "we don't like the thing" and never got our minds around waterless toilets.

For us on the A-30, the whole works were just too close for comfort to the V berth. the N/H would prolly be a lot better on a slightly larger boat than the A-30.
Old 12-13-2012

I was told to use commercial sized coffee filters (the type without bleach) to line the bowl. Sales rep also pointed out if you are not in a position to dump it overboard, the bags for trash compactors fit perfectly.
Old 12-14-2012
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
I think you will find, and will for sure if you ask...it is NOT legal to dump urine over the side anywhere...it is "untreated sewage" as far as the EPA is concerned.

I agree that you can do either over the side legally, it is when you contain it...it becomes a problem.
And why waste the opportunity to generate electricity with it?

I find it interesting how alarming it is to read that one can get fined for dumping urine overboard. I even found myself thinking, "Gosh, I need to spend money to install a holding tank of some sort," etc. Driving over the speed limit is also a punishable offense, and people actually get injured and killed doing that one. I see people do it all the time. So I think I'll take my chances with the urine over the side thing.
Old 12-14-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I have an Air Head, the only one similar to it is the "Nature's head" almost identical in overall design, a tad cheaper....but consrtuction quality of the "Nature's Head leaves a big gap. Everyone I know who has pucaseedd a Nature's Head either returned it or gave it away and bought an "Air Head". The foot print ismost identical to aa port-i-pottie, but it's 6" taller and more substantial. Quite simply of the composting heads available, the Air Head is the best (about $985). Mine fit perfectly where my portipottie was and the air vent came out just below my Dorade box.
Wolf, I'm curious about the construction "quality" that is lacking in the Nature's Head. Mine is a simple and solid construction that has worked perfectly for the last 2 years. It's a pretty solid piece of kit and not much to go wrong. I've never heard of anyone complaining about the quality of the product so far (you're the first).

C&C, the lip that diverts urine on the Nature's Head is a bit low and can let urine into the solids chamber if one is not careful. I have heard of people laying a bead of silicone around the lip to raise it a little. I wish it were a wee bit higher too, but I've learned to just be more careful. Guests on the other hand ...
Old 12-14-2012

richardb123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The above statement is bizarre. I have the Nature's Head. It's built like a brick. It could fall off the back of a truck at 50mph and it would probably just bounce. My neighbour has the Airhead. I know a bit about plastics manufacturing and I can tell you the two toilets are made with the identical roto-molded process. They both use all stainless hardware. They are both high quality products. There is no discernible difference in quality between the two brands.

Interesting to note that Channel Cutter Yachts - a builder of very high end Lyle Hess designed 34 footers - installs composting toilets in all boats. He used to use the Airhead, but switched to Nature's Head, because he prefers some of the design features, and the fact that it costs $100 less for basically the same thing.

As I understand it, the owner of Nature's Head used to sell Airheads. But he thought it could be improved. In my opinion, the improvements are insignificant. You could argue the merits of each toilet for an hour, but it's all just splitting hairs.

I know at least 30 people with the Nature's Head, and about 20 people with Airheads. All seem happy. No one has sold one, or gone from one to the other, and no one has given one away.

You can read a review of the Nature's Head on this blog: Nature's Head
Old 12-14-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardb123 View Post
The above statement is bizarre. I have the Nature's Head. It's built like a brick. It could fall off the back of a truck at 50mph and it would probably just bounce. My neighbour has the Airhead. I know a bit about plastics manufacturing and I can tell you the two toilets are made with the identical roto-molded process. They both use all stainless hardware. They are both high quality products. There is no discernible difference in quality between the two brands.

Interesting to note that Channel Cutter Yachts - a builder of very high end Lyle Hess designed 34 footers - installs composting toilets in all boats. He used to use the Airhead, but switched to Nature's Head, because he prefers some of the design features, and the fact that it costs $100 less for basically the same thing.

As I understand it, the owner of Nature's Head used to sell Airheads. But he thought it could be improved. In my opinion, the improvements are insignificant. You could argue the merits of each toilet for an hour, but it's all just splitting hairs.

I know at least 30 people with the Nature's Head, and about 20 people with Airheads. All seem happy. No one has sold one, or gone from one to the other, and no one has given one away.

You can read a review of the Nature's Head on this blog: Nature's Head
I was kind of thinking the same thing, hey if there are free natures Heads being given away I will take one!
Old 12-14-2012

I was given an Air Head by someone that tried to use it in a house with three people, that was also poorly heated and he cleaned out the bottom, rather than just dumping it out (according to the sales rep it does better with a little left in). What I said about construction was just something I had heard passed on by other people. Because the prices are so close I would very closely compare the two.
Old 12-14-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
\

I never liked the trap door over the big hole ( Conservative birth canal). So I just raised the lip around it, and went for a lift out stainless lid from the thrift store. No liquids getting into the compost, and a far simpler solution. I just remove it when taking a dump. The rest of the time it keeps the compost drier.
No complaints with mine. Cost me under $25 to build. I'd never go back to a traditional head.
Have you ever posted you plans or a description of the build?
I would like to know the details.
Old 12-14-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
composting toilet report

It would be nice if one could line the chamber that receives the solid with a heavy opaque plastic bag. When time came to empty the chamber all one would have to do is tie the bag closed and toss it into the dumpster. Much like the garbage can in the kitchen is lined with a plastic bag.
The nature's head is designed to have a plastic garbage bag fit nicely over the solids collection portion. Turn it upside down and empty into said tightly fitting garbage bag and it's done.

I have a nature's head. I used it as a live aboard for 2 years and have had it for about 2 more. It's not perfect and it's not for everyone but neither is a marine head! I love it and wouldn't go back. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you like either on this thread or by PM.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
air head , composting toilet , head , waste odors