Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013

troy2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Even though I am poor and on a budget, my boat came with a port-i-pottie and that just had to go. The ""proper head" along with through hull, holding tank, etc was gone and was to complicated to replace. I was willing to bite the bullet and buy a new air-head (about $975). But a friend had tried one out in a land setting and it failed miserably, none of the fault was the air head, he just used it wrong in the wrong environment with too many people, etc...so he gave it to me.
The foot print is the same as the port-i-pottie, but it is 6" higher and would no longer fit under the bunk....so I installed a bulkhead giving more places to install shelves and bins and giving me an enclosed head (woohoo).
Congrats, I'd say you made out like a bandit. You should've been wearing a bandanna over your face when you picked it up.

But of course your post is worthless without pic's.....

Last edited by troy2000; 05-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
I found a source of "bleach-less" commercial coffee filters to line the inside of the bowl with (WalMart about $8 for 200 Melita I think). I have also heard of people who had an old holding tank replaced the pee jug with a hose to the holding tank.
Don't need coffee filters with a C-Head. It has a low-tech lid that just sets in place in place when the toilet isn't in use. When the toilet's in use and the lid's out of the way, it's a straight drop into the darkness....

Here's a pic that shows the lid I'm talking about. While we're at it, I remember a suggestion I got from someone; I don't remember whether it was here or at boatdesign.net. But he said I should add a fold-out urinal in the cabinet wall under the wash basin, with a drain that tied into the basin's drain. So the urine would mysteriously disappear, just like the grey water does.

Gotta admit, I'm for anything that reduces how often I have to empty pee jugs. But it would be downright embarrassing for someone official to notice that gizmo....
Attached Thumbnails
Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.-005.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I've been following these composting toilet threads for a while now. My boat needs a toilet, and I'm convinced it will be a composting one. I'm just not about to spend almost a grand for a plastic bucket with a stirring stick. Just not gonna do it. So I guess I'll have to build one, can't be that hard. I have a few questions. In the picture above why is there a lid covering the collection chamber? If its to provide a seal why not put a gasket on the backside of the seat and the surface of the lid that mates with the seat? That would form an air seal. Second, why are these units taller than a porta-potty or a conventional water toilet? I understand the purpose of the stirring stick is to break up the solid material and mix it with the peat moss or coconut fiber.
Old 05-01-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
Congrats, I'd say you made out like a bandit. You should've been wearing a bandanna over your face when you picked it up.

But of course this post is worthless without pic's.....
I've gotten good at that, like the pair of bronze Barient 2-speed winches ($140), RayMarine RL_72 Plus ($125), Dickinson stainless barbeque and wood stove ($0), 180% Genny w/ roller furling gear, 180% Genny hank-on, 35' luff Yankee, 25' luff Yankee, 35' luff working jib (total $450), all new 1/4" 316ss standing rigging ($250), Tamaya no2 Sextant ($40), Flat compass w/5" card and bronze binnicale ($200), 7" bronze bell ($0), running & stern lights 4 1/2" w/bronze cap $50, etc....

Last edited by wolfenzee; 05-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I've been following these composting toilet threads for a while now. My boat needs a toilet, and I'm convinced it will be a composting one. I'm just not about to spend almost a grand for a plastic bucket with a stirring stick. Just not gonna do it. So I guess I'll have to build one, can't be that hard. I have a few questions. In the picture above why is there a lid covering the collection chamber? If its to provide a seal why not put a gasket on the backside of the seat and the surface of the lid that mates with the seat? That would form an air seal. Second, why are these units taller than a porta-potty or a conventional water toilet? I understand the purpose of the stirring stick is to break up the solid material and mix it with the peat moss or coconut fiber.
Judging from pic's at C-Head's website, it looks like Sandy (the owner) tried attaching the sealing lid to the toilet lid at one time. I can think of a couple of reasons that might not have turned out to be practical, including the precision needed to make the lid fit properly. For example, just a small shift in the plastic bolts attaching the toilet lid and seat could have moved the sealing lid enough to keep it from doing its job.

Sometimes simple solutions are so practical there's no sense getting fancy.... it isn't exactly a hardship to grab the lid and set it out of the way, and I'd say it beats having to use a coffee filter every time you go.

And unlike the Air Head or Nature's Head, the C-Head does happen to be the same height as a standard toilet.

You're right; it isn't really that hard to build your own - assuming you have a work space and the time, and are reasonably handy with tools. In fact, it sounds like a good idea. But in my life, time to fiddle around building stuff instead of buying it has been shrinking for years now. When I retire I'll theoretically have plenty of time, but I'm hoping to have my boat in the water by then. Taking on sub-projects along the way would just complicate things....

Last edited by troy2000; 05-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
I've gotten good at that, like the pair of bronze Barient 2-speed winches ($140), RayMarine RL_72 Plus ($125), Dickinson stainless barbeque and wood stove ($0), 180% Genny w/ roller furling gear, 180% Genny hank-on, 35' luff Yankee, 25' luff Yankee, 35' luff working jib (total $450), all new 1/4" 316ss standing rigging ($250), Tamaya no2 Sextant ($40), Flat compass w/5" card and bronze binnicale ($200), 7" bronze bell ($0), running & stern lights 4 1/2" w/bronze cap $50, etc....
If one'a dem winches disappears, I don't know nuttin' about it. OK? So don't come boderin' me...
Old 05-01-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
If one'a dem winches disappears, I don't know nuttin' about it. OK? So don't come boderin' me...
I made the winch mounts out of 2" thick silver bali (90bf was given to me by the same guy who gave me the 7" bronze bell), the only way to get them out is with a chain saw.
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
I made the winch mounts out of 2" thick silver bali (90bf was given to me by the same guy who gave me the 7" bronze bell), the only way to get them out is with a chain saw.
I'm not da only guy in da world what owns a chainsaw, y'know? I'm just sayin'....

But in reality, I'm probably more envious of the BBQ, the wood stove and the brass bell.

Last edited by troy2000; 05-01-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2013

A pic of the C-head in use. Well, right after use, anyway... this is supposed to be a family-friendly forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.-007.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Most boat guys sit to pee anyway, don't they?

I hope this helps.

Ahhhhh NO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'

Tags
air head , composting toilet , head , waste odors