Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Interesting thread. And I was rafted upon yesterday after the ConnieCup race. But it was my dockmate and then someone rafted to him. No big deal in the mild conditions. I have been on a boat that TRIED to raft to another after a race but there was just too much wave action from the watermen running back in.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned a courtesy I was taught years ago. Namely that when you are rafted up and are outside, you go across the inside boat's foredeck when crossing to/from. Never go through their cockpit.
Made sense to me; hopefully to others.
Old 10-21-2012

steel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
My understanding is that this is somewhat culturally driven. The "don't touch mine!" attitude is very American and an expression of our greater "personal space", and that rafting is more commonly accepted in Europe, Aus and NZ.

Hopefully if I'm wrong, someone from those areas will speak up and correct me.
Not at all. There's an area around here where the people will call the police if you cut across their lawn.

In France, land is something to be shared. I don't recall ever seeing a no trespassing sign. If you don't want people to come in your yard, you build a fence around it. That's why pretty much everyone has a fence around the FRONT with a gate on their driveway in addition to the back. If the gate is open or unlocked, it's okay for people to come in, possibly even a group of gypsies. If you climb over someone's fence to get in that may be considered criminal activity, but I'm not sure. I think part of it as just unchanged culture from the days of castles.

In France our landlord came in our house to plan repairs without telling us until he was in our or his hallway. Apparently that's perfectly acceptable there, and in fact, I really didn't mind.

American camping is supposed to have everyone as separated as possible in their own private wooded lots. French camping consists of rows of tents 15 feet apart with no separation at all. Then you place your order the night before for what kind of bread you want delivered in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I freely admit that I do not have the Jon Eisberg level of experience of international travel, adventure and intrigue - but I have experienced enough of the competence level of many of my fellow Chesapeake sailors to know I don't want the majority of them within a hundred yards of my (ex) boat, let alone trust them enough to care to maintain my brightside and brightwork like I do. Way too many incompetents, drunks and dicks to not care if they raft and board my boat without asking me (or me around to oversee things). Maybe boaters are more trustworthy and competent in other locations, but around here they very often just aren't..
Well said. There are 3 boats (more accurately, their "skippers") within 50 feet of my berth, I wouldn't want anywhere near my boat. Prior to owning a boat, I would have never believed the amount of incompetence/lack of judgment I see around the marina and on the water. Of course, not requiring any type of training/certification before you are a "Skipper" of a multi ton pleasure vessel doesn't help, but thats another subject.
Point being, I'm quite willing to let someone raft to my boat in the proper conditions. However, I want to be there when someone I don't know is doing it to provide proper fenders/lines, assist, or at the very least, witness the carnage if they screw up!

Last edited by L124C; 10-24-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
In France, land is something to be shared. I don't recall ever seeing a no trespassing sign. If you don't want people to come in your yard, you build a fence around it. That's why pretty much everyone has a fence around the FRONT with a gate on their driveway in addition to the back. If the gate is open or unlocked, it's okay for people to come in, possibly even a group of gypsies. If you climb over someone's fence to get in that may be considered criminal activity, but I'm not sure. I think part of it as just unchanged culture from the days of castles.
Brings me back to a question I asked in post #61 (don't think anyone addressed it). So, if the person "sharing" your land is injured as a result, are you responsible as a property owner? If they damage your property while "sharing" it, are they responsible? How does that work in France?

Quote:
In France our landlord came in our house to plan repairs without telling us until he was in our or his hallway. Apparently that's perfectly acceptable there, and in fact, I really didn't! mind.
Wow!...You ARE liberal! Without even knocking or ringing the bell? What if you and a loved one were spontaneously being intimate on the stairs in the hallway (uncomfortable, I know, but just go with me on this!)? Would you simply ask said landlord to join in?
I am a Landlord. And I always give 24 hours notice before visiting a property. I would NEVER-EVER enter the property without making sure the tenants knew I was there, or were not there themselves. This happens to be in our agreement (maybe they don't have those in France), but I think anything less is inconsiderate. Off topic, however, it does demonstrate the fundamental difference between what you and I (and apparently the French) think is appropriate behavior. Hence, the variety of opinions in this thread!
Quote:
American camping is supposed to have everyone as separated as possible in their own private wooded lots. French camping consists of rows of tents 15 feet apart with no separation at all. Then you place your order the night before for what kind of bread you want delivered in the morning.
As a Backpacker, that sounds like moving the "Burbs" to the wilderness. Why bother? I'd just stay home.

Last edited by L124C; 10-23-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2012

TBone422 is on a distinguished road

Hmm. So if someone rafts up without permission and I decide to leave, is it allright if I heave his lines without his permission?
Old 10-23-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

In BC, you can raft up to a fisherman, and find your self tied to the dock the next morning. Most can pull their boat out from inside yours, tie you back up, and leave , without waking you up.
Old 10-23-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I'll bet that in the rules and regulations of the public dock it says that you have to accept people rafting up to you.
Yes, definitely!On all government docks.
Old 10-23-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
It reminds me of the old dinghy dock in key West, There was room for maybe 5 dinghy's at the sea wall and the other 40 would tie to the last one out and crawl across the other's, If you arived early in the morning, you would be blocked in by 40 boats and have to untie and re-tie your way out. It was communal. I kind of miss those day's, As for public free docking, you get what you pay for.
Courtesy requires one to use a single long painter on ones dinghy, so as many as possible can tie to the same dock. Hiscock made this point in a letter to Sail Magazine once.Solidly tieing bow and stern of a dinghy to a dock is rude, and inconsiderate, and I have often untried such dinghies ,and left them tied by a single , long bow line, so others can use the dock.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 10-23-2012

RocketScience is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I'll bet that in the rules and regulations of the public dock it says that you have to accept people rafting up to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Yes, definitely!On all government docks.
Could you please provide a link or citation on this. I'd be curious as to the 'language' of this regulation.
L124C likes this.

Last edited by RocketScience; 10-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
Could you please provide a link or citation on this. I'd be curious as to the 'language' of this regulation.
It may consist of little more than a posted sign that says "Rafting permitted" or even "Rafting required". Most local/public docks in BC, anyhow, have been turned over to local harbour authorities whom I doubt are going to get into a bunch of written regulations.

As a contrast, the transient dock (private yacht club run) at Texada Island specifically bans rafting, but only because of occasional swell and the docks are not on pilings, but fairly widespread cable anchors in 90 feet of water.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.