Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012

RocketScience is on a distinguished road
Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
It may consist of little more than a posted sign that says "Rafting permitted" or even "Rafting required"...
And we have the same here too, but primarily on private docks.

Quote:
...Most local/public docks in BC, anyhow, have been turned over to local harbour authorities whom I doubt are going to get into a bunch of written regulations.
Understandably so, but my concern is with the un-posted, public docks. I've cruised enough along the West coast and North to your neck of the woods to find most public docks lacking any signage at all. With no signage or Governing regs to be had, we're back to the "it's the local custom" argument, which again, holds little water in any court of law if property damage or bodily harm was to be incurred.
L124C likes this.
Old 10-23-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
This is something that I have always been uncertain of - rafting etiquette seems to vary immensely depending on county and region. I'm interested in people's opinions.
I have no experience with rafting up. But last weekend we paddled out to our boat on a mooring and it was gone!! We paddled anxiously all around and gave up and headed back, only to spot our boat near the shore on a mooring.

When I grew up we never considered messing with anyone's boat not in danger, it just wasn't done for any reason.

Someone actually moved our sailboat to a different mooring. I had her well secured to the mooring line, plus a second heavy line that went around the mast and to the mooring as a slack back up. Whoever moved it just left that line loose, and casually tied up the main line.

I agree that if I'd been there when that happened I would likely have been unpleasant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
I have no experience with rafting up. But last weekend we paddled out to our boat on a mooring and it was gone!! We paddled anxiously all around and gave up and headed back, only to spot our boat near the shore on a mooring.

When I grew up we never considered messing with anyone's boat not in danger, it just wasn't done for any reason.

Someone actually moved our sailboat to a different mooring. I had her well secured to the mooring line, plus a second heavy line that went around the mast and to the mooring as a slack back up. Whoever moved it just left that line loose, and casually tied up the main line.

I agree that if I'd been there when that happened I would likely have been unpleasant!
Why don't you want to share? Perhaps someone really needed your mooring ball..
L124C likes this.
Old 10-24-2012

steel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Brings me back to a question I asked in post #61 (don't think anyone addressed it). So, if the person "sharing" your land is injured as a result, are you responsible as a property owner? If they damage your property while "sharing" it, are they responsible? How does that work in France?
No you can't sue over everything there. If you get hurt that's your problem. As far as damaging other people's property I'm not sure if or how the law differs from here.

They have this fun above ground climbing place by Grenoble where they have stuff installed on the trees and all sorts of things to climb through, like a set of barrels hanging in mid air in between two trees maybe 25 feet high. There are steel cables going along all the climbing paths and you hook yourself with your harness up to at least one cable AT ALL TIMES using your two clips. If you fall off and die I'm pretty sure they are not liable. We were 14 year old boys up there using it and it was fun. Our parents decided that we were able to do it safely and that was it.

Quote:
Wow!...You ARE liberal! Without even knocking or ringing the bell? What if you and a loved one were spontaneously being intimate on the stairs in the hallway (uncomfortable, I know, but just go with me on this!)? Would you simply ask said landlord to join in?
I think he knocked and then waited a minute or less and then unlocked the door. My mom was like that's something you sure wouldn't do in America.

In these cultures, people rely more on physical means to protect their property and not on expected courtesy and the legal system so much. If you leave your bike outside in public for 5 minutes unlocked it's just expected that it will be stolen.
Old 10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Why don't you want to share? Perhaps someone really needed your mooring ball..
LOL, to me sharing implies consent. I was glad to still have my boat.
chrisncate likes this.
Old 10-24-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg
I'm guessing many of our international posters here are somewhat amused by the attitudes expressed by some of the American sailors, here...
I think one finds that once one really starts going places, cruisers generally work together, and manage to sort this stuff out...
I think the distinction might be "cruisers" (don't think we need to bring nationality into it). IMO, cruisers are generally experienced (i.e., mindful of surge), are respectful of other boats, as the vessel is both their home and mode of transportation. At the dock in the OP, you are more likely to find testosterone laden racers and boat owners who may take their boats out a couple of times a year (the link I provided in a previous post being an example of the latter). Either one of which, may have had "one too many".
I agree completely, but at the risk over over-generalizing/painting with too broad a brush, I do still think that there are meaningful cultural/national differences at play here, that tend to make we Americans somewhat more resistant to the more communal practice of rafting up...

Last fall, I was aboard one of the first boats to arrive in St George's, seeking shelter from another low with the potential to develop into a late-season tropical storm. We scored pole position in front of the White Horse Tavern, but listening to the chatter with Bermuda Harbor Radio, it was obvious we wouldn't have that space to ourselves for very long...

The next morning, when the delightful, kindly lady from Bermuda Yachting Services approached us, I knew she'd be asking if we would mind accepting boats rafting alongside... She was greatly relieved when I made a joke to the effect of "not letting that American ensign deter you from asking", and she countered with her sharp British wit, something to the effect of "Well, with you Yanks, we're never sure, we know how much you value your private space...", or whatever... As usual, everything worked out fine, we rode out a modest blow in close company with about 20 other boats packed in there, turned out to be kind of fun, as is so often the case in such situations...

One other reason I think Americans might be more resistant to rafting, is the comparatively high percentage of those doing their cruising in true "Yacht Style", aboard new boats with flawless, Awlgripped topsides, and often unsuited to rafting, lacking rubrails or suitable attachment points for fenders, and whatnot... At the opposite end of the spectrum, we have those like the French, who favor more rugged, utilitarian boats of bare aluminum, on which any cosmetic damage from rafting will likely go unnoticed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post

I freely admit that I do not have the Jon Eisberg level of experience of international travel, adventure and intrigue - but I have experienced enough of the competence level of many of my fellow Chesapeake sailors to know I don't want the majority of them within a hundred yards of my (ex) boat, let alone trust them enough to care to maintain my brightside and brightwork like I do. Way too many incompetents, drunks and dicks to not care if they raft and board my boat without asking me (or me around to oversee things). Maybe boaters are more trustworthy and competent in other locations, but around here they very often just aren't.
No doubt the irony of your post is not lost on some of our international friends... It's no secret that we Americans are often perceived as "know-it-alls", but now the argument is being put forth that we might be granted some sort of exemption from the practice of rafting, largely due to our widespread and fundamental INCOMPETENCE as sailors and boat handlers?

Once again, I'm guessing some of those abroad who might be reading this have gotten another chuckle at our own expense... (grin)
Faster, L124C and Bilgewater like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
LOL, to me sharing implies consent. I was glad to still have my boat.
I agree, but this thread has certainly pointed out that many don't share that view.
BTW, if you have followed this thread, you will know that the comment by "crisncate" you responded to was tongue in cheek (I think it's safe to assume!). Though, similar opinions have been stated here by others.
Was there any logical reason you could see for them moving your boat? I.e., did your original mooring accommodate a larger vessel?

Last edited by L124C; 10-24-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
she countered with her sharp British wit, something to the effect of "Well, with you Yanks, we're never sure, we know how much you value your private space...",

She is just mad that we won the Revolution...

Last edited by Faster; 10-24-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 10-24-2012

Quote:
I agree, but this thread has certainly pointed out that many don't share that view.
BTW, if you have followed this thread, you will know that the comment by "crisncate" you responded to was tongue in cheek (I think it's safe to assume!). Though, similar opinions have been stated here by others.
Was there any logical reason you could see for them moving your boat? I.e., did your original mooring accommodate a larger vessel?
Yes, tongue in cheek, that's why I laughed.

No visible reason for the move, lots of empty moorings everywhere, most power boats were gone for the year, only sailboats left. There is a harbor master who could have been notified and who could notify the mooring owner (I rented it) or me. Obviously someone felt they had a reason, just can't figure it. Perhaps some local squabble with the company owning the moorings. My boat was found on another mooring owned by the same company, but no one there knew anything about it. So it had to be someone with knowledge of who owned the moorings.

Could be a bright side, maybe next year I'll ask for the new mooring, it was much closer to the town dock. But my actual mooring was nice, all sailboats around me and 3 or 4 beautiful wooden yawls with wooden spars in perfect shape. Perhaps they didn't like my ugly little modern Hunter nearby? I don't know if the new mooring is normally surrounded by power boats, which swing differently when the wind opposes the tide. I prefer the sailboats, we all swing together.

My mother had a lovely wooden yawl, maybe 40 ft or so, so I like seeing them. I thought they were rather rare, I was delighted to have them as close neighbors. There were quite a few scattered about, and we anchored at one island where we were joined by a friendly couple on one. They did not even own a motor! I watched them sail off their anchor and learned a bit just by watching.
Old 10-24-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Signs, signs....everywhere signs!

I was in the area, so I took pictures of the signs on the dock in the OP. Turns out, the rules are well spelled out on each piling, including the water taxi section. Though, I took the shots at low tide, and the signs were about four feet over my head (I'm 6 feet tall). Probably would be a good idea to mount the same signs at the ramp were visibility wouldn't be affected by tide. In any case, though I had read them in the past, the "no rafting" provision never registered as I never would consider rafting there. The "no docking during rough weather provision" is rather interesting. I've been at the dock when the weather was nothing short of spectacular, but the surge couldn't get any worse without a Tsunami. A major storm certainly wouldn't chop it up any more!
Attached Thumbnails
Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.-we-001.jpg   Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.-we-002.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 10-24-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.