Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywalkerII View Post
For what it's worth, I've never seen this done in the Long Island Sound area. I've circled around, waiting for dock space.

Rafting only occurs among friends or social gatherings on moorings.
This is how it's done in the NE. Raft to a Hinckley, Morris, Lyman-Morse etc.. scratch it, and you likely just bought a 20k+ paint job!!!!

I find the behavior, without owner permission, rude but I agree it depends upon where you are and the local customs. I would not suggest trying it up here unless you know the other owner and have agreed upon it ahead of time. We simply circle and wait or anchor elsewhere and dinghy ashore. We generally avoid public docks anyway as the commercial guys often use them and, well, they are working we are playing. No skin of our back to anchor and take the dink in and let the guys work... When I used to move boats up and down the East coast / ICW for winter/summer deliveries it was not uncommon for us to stay on the boat and send another to shore when there was no good place to anchor and the town dock was a "rafter". Course we were often in 50+ foot behemoth's that would crush a small boat....

I think the bottom line is that if it was "customary" where the OP was then he/she would likely know about it and not be as upset. If it is not "customary" behavior then I think it is just rude when done without permission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-17-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

Yea ive always wondered about raffting up seem cool to raft up with other boats. The problem with me is i don't know other people with boat and when i come into a anchorage and there rafting up i usally just pick up a mooring or fall back away from them and anchor off. around here u never see boats rafting up at a dock. Also theres uslally more room for a boat in from or in back. But there isn't any public docks so don't have to worry about transiting them.
Old 10-17-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I wont' say I've never seen rafting around here. I have. However, I can't believe it would be done without permission. There are some marinas that will raft you, but tell you so. I would be upset to find anyone on my boat without permission.

While different, climbing through other dinghies to get to the dock is extremely common.
It does happen in my area of LIS.

The Wed. night racers approach you at 5 knots with one ugly fender dangling then unload their coolers and crew over your boat. At first is sorta bugged me, but now I just smile and lend them a hand.

Maybe it's just the uptight New Englander in us that makes us prone to freaking out over someone else touching our stuff
Old 10-17-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
This is how it's done in the NE. Raft to a Hinckley, Morris, Lyman-Morse etc.. scratch it, and you likely just bought a 20k+ paint job!!!!

I find the behavior, without owner permission, rude but I agree it depends upon where you are and the local customs.
It's all about local customs as you indicate. To be clear (I'm only talking about these waters) Those that are secured to a public wharf are generally aware that they will be rafted to prior to even entering the breakwater. It's quite apparent how things are done the moment they see the first boats. Most will have fenders on the outside which pretty much indicates an invitation. I don't just pick any boat to raft to. I definitely wouldn't pick a shiny yacht of any kind. I have seen boats (usually sailboats) that will secure a dinghy to the outside of the vessel to prevent rafters. This tactic is generally frowned upon and considered unfriendly, but you see transients doing it occasionally.

This is usually how it works unless your a local...You would radio the Wharfinger and they will give you a couple of rafting options based on your vessel. Once you get in there and see your spot might have some issues, you would ask for another option. If your coming in at night or you can't get them on the radio, you would try to find the transient float or just go in and find a rough looking vessel or a fishboat that will likely not be leaving anytime soon. Then you walk the dock until you find a local and ask them if you're OK where you are.

It's not considered rude around here and it's actually quite a good way of doing things. You meet new people this way and most people particularly locals don't mind and it's simply the way it's always been done.
Faster and miatapaul like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 10-17-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-17-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

My question about rafting is that since sailing and or docking aren't an emergency situation, and you choose at (and by) your own leisure to be out there, why is it so imperative that you be able to dock right this instant regardless of others property and parking privilege?

When we park a car in public, do we expect that if there is no parking spot available, we have the right to block the car in who actually got there first for parking, and walk across their hood?

I can't see how your desire to park your boat takes priority over someone else's property? What am I not seeing here, except that you really want to park your boat right this instant and other peoples property and parking don't matter at all?
L124C likes this.
Old 10-17-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Driving and boating are different cultures. Double park and you're blocking a lane or a road... As boaters we have less restrictions on where we can go... Not sure the analogy holds up.

It's becoming quite clear that this practice has regional boundaries.

And it can cause problems.. Inconsiderate or ignorant rafters can cause grief and do damage. But even if you anchored off that same offender might Tbone you as they're leaving..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-17-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
My question about rafting is that since sailing and or docking aren't an emergency situation, and you choose at (and by) your own leisure to be out there, why is it so imperative that you be able to dock right this instant regardless of others property and parking privilege?

When we park a car in public, do we expect that if there is no parking spot available, we have the right to block the car in who actually got there first for parking, and walk across their hood?

I can't see how your desire to park your boat takes priority over someone else's property? What am I not seeing here, except that you really want to park your boat right this instant and other peoples property and parking don't matter at all?
I think the attitude in these locales is "There are limited public accomodations, and this is how we share them to accomdate as many people as possible".

Add to this, that the space is public. If it were paid, then I'd understand a disagreement.

Like I said, it's sort of a cultural thing. You disagree with it, because it's not generally accepted behavior here on the Chesapeake, except in social situations.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-17-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Chris,

In many locations there isn't a choice. One marine near me has about 100' of sea wall, and that's it. If you get there after its all gone you can either raft, or keep sailing to the next marine about 20 miles away. I promise you if you show up there on any weekend people will raft up against you, and will do so without asking. And tying up a dinghy to the outside will just result in the harbor master kicking your boat out of the marine.

As with most things there is an etiquette to rafting which should be followed, but other than that I can't see the problem.
Old 10-17-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Add to this, that the space is public. If it were paid, then I'd understand a disagreement.
In our area public docks are NOT all free - in fact few are.. most charge moorage and day fees after a few hours grace time. AND as a rafter you pay the same rate that the guy tied to the dock pays. In some cases/places you'll be tied stern-to, and closely rafted and will be charged based on LOA, not the 'dock' you used.

.. but that's just the way it is....
larrytwo likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-17-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

I still have yet to see an argument made that speaks to the fact that regardless of what you may desire at the moment (immediate parking for your pleasure boat), you are out there sailing by choice - and your desire to dock isn't an emergency or necessarily a situation that should give you easement rights over another private property.

While the dock may be public, the vessel you are commandeering and boarding in order to access that dock is not. It just strikes me as a very entitled attitude to have, again in light of the fact that you make the choice to potentially sail up to a dock that may not have the room to accommodate you.

I don't see a justification (unless in an emergency) as to why you are entitled to park your boat at the risk and expense of another boater who got there first.

?