Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
My brother used to live on Staten Island. Mike and I had spent the afternoon having a good time in Manhattan after which we boarded the ferry to Staten Island. After departing the ferry at the other end I see everyone making for a long line of cabbies so I step into an empty one with Mile one step behind. Mike tells the cabby where we're going and next thing I know the cab is quickly filling with odd characters. I was soon instructing them that this was our cab but was quickly interrupted by Mike with "This is how it works here". Apparently we fill the cab and share the cost. Well I made this out to be quite an odd custom particularly in a very large city like New York. But it was practical, friendly and it worked quite well. I now wish it was customary elsewhere. I think we're all a bit too quick to guard our privacy and at the same time we're missing out on new experiences and interacting with strangers. This was back in the early 80s so it could be different now but that would be a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miatapaul likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I like the tip about posting a mobile phone number in the window, so that potential rafters can contact me. I'll put that to use.
I put my cell number on the washboards at hatchway, that way if anyone needs to contact me they can.

I often see boats at the harbor that need attention (broken dock lines, slowly filling with water, ect.), it would be nice to be able to easily reach these people and ask if it is ok to "fix' their boat. I will fix it anyway, but I always like to ask permission to do anything to others property.
L124C likes this.
Old 10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
My question about rafting is that since sailing and or docking aren't an emergency situation, and you choose at (and by) your own leisure to be out there, why is it so imperative that you be able to dock right this instant regardless of others property and parking privilege?

When we park a car in public, do we expect that if there is no parking spot available, we have the right to block the car in who actually got there first for parking, and walk across their hood?

I can't see how your desire to park your boat takes priority over someone else's property? What am I not seeing here, except that you really want to park your boat right this instant and other peoples property and parking don't matter at all?
You make a good point.

Another thought, let's say you needed to raft up to get to the dock, but there was a super yacht at your raft up spot that had a gleeming topside gel coat of midnight blue (not a scratch on it). Would you raft to this yacht?

Now suppose instead of the super yacht, there was my humble boat with faded topside paint that shows obivious signs of dock run ins. Would you hesitate to raft to my boat?
Old 10-17-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
My question about rafting is that since sailing and or docking aren't an emergency situation, and you choose at (and by) your own leisure to be out there, why is it so imperative that you be able to dock right this instant regardless of others property and parking privilege?

When we park a car in public, do we expect that if there is no parking spot available, we have the right to block the car in who actually got there first for parking, and walk across their hood?

I can't see how your desire to park your boat takes priority over someone else's property? What am I not seeing here, except that you really want to park your boat right this instant and other peoples property and parking don't matter at all?
I don't think your example of mall parking is the same as boat rafting. But in a private gathering, double park and blocking the driveway is common in order to accommodate more guests. In either case, I would never walk on the hood of other people's car.

In my previous post, I said I would not mind others rafting next to me. However, I would never raft to other people's boat, just in case someone like you. I certainly don't want to ruin your days.

Some are anal about their procession, some are not. I have never emotionally attached to anything I own. Every time I get a brand new car, I always offer the key to my employees to take a spin during the lunch hour.

It is only money, we can always make some more.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-17-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
...Another thought, let's say you needed to raft up to get to the dock, but there was a super yacht at your raft up spot that had a gleeming topside gel coat of midnight blue (not a scratch on it). Would you raft to this yacht?
No I wouldn't.. it's not an appropriate vessel and in any event you probably couldn't safely climb over the bulwarks to cross over anyhow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
...Now suppose instead of the super yacht, there was my humble boat with faded topside paint that shows obivious signs of dock run ins. Would you hesitate to raft to my boat?
Definitely not! You'd be the perfect candidate. It's also unlikely that you'd get upset about it.. (unlike the blue-blazered owner of example # 1!!)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
No I wouldn't.. it's not an appropriate vessel and in any event you probably couldn't safely climb over the bulwarks to cross over anyhow...

Definitely not! You'd be the perfect candidate. It's also unlikely that you'd get upset about it.. (unlike the blue-blazered owner of example # 1!!)
You are right, I would not get upset. Just the other day at my work parking lot someone did a hit and run on my 91 mits pickup. Now this pickup is covered with rust holes and dents, and now has an additional blue paint scrape and dent on the rear quarter panel, lucky they did not break the tail light or I would have somthing to fix. I would have however appreciated a note just saying "sorry about the scrape". Have people run into me all the time and I just say "no problem", but just saying "sorry" would be nice.

When your rides don't "look" good you get no respect....
Old 10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post

It is only money, we can always make some more.
Try telling that to the mother of a starving baby in some third world country.

Maybe somthing like "it is only money, I can always make some more" would be truer.
Old 10-17-2012

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

It should be pointed out to folks who are new to rafting that hanging bouys is not the only concern to mitigate damage. Another, and I think a far larger concern, is mast swing. Boats need to be staggered otherwise the boat on the outside hit by a large wake will roll first and the mast can swing and hook the shroud/mast of the inside boat.

That said, I think rafting up is an age old custom of the sea and if it is the last option available to me it is one I will take with the usual qualifications of it being public (i.e. free) and would not cause damage to the other boat.

I have rafted up to strangers in a number of countries and while the raftees would prefer it not be done they were resigned to the fact it was the only option. The last guy I rafted to actually only moaned about having to work the lines for the tide while I got a free ride up and down next to his boat.

Originally Posted by rockDAWG

'It is only money, we can always make some more.'

Originally Posted by casey1999

'Try telling that to the mother of a starving baby in some third world country.'

I will give it a shot when I raft up next to her yacht
Old 10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
It should be pointed out to folks who are new to rafting that hanging bouys is not the only concern to mitigate damage. Another, and I think a far larger concern, is mast swing. Boats need to be staggered otherwise the boat on the outside hit by a large wake will roll first and the mast can swing and hook the shroud/mast of the inside boat.

That said, I think rafting up is an age old custom of the sea and if it is the last option available to me it is one I will take with the usual qualifications of it being public (i.e. free) and would not cause damage to the other boat.

I have rafted up to strangers in a number of countries and while the raftees would prefer it not be done they were resigned to the fact it was the only option. The last guy I rafted to actually only moaned about having to work the lines for the tide while I got a free ride up and down next to his boat.

Originally Posted by rockDAWG

'It is only money, we can always make some more.'

Originally Posted by casey1999

'Try telling that to the mother of a starving baby in some third world country.'

I will give it a shot when I raft up next to her yacht
With your attitude, raft next to me I'll cut ye lines. Good thing ye on the other side of the world..
Old 10-17-2012

Problem I see with rafting is that things are a lot different than say 30 to 100 years ago. Today everything has become litigious and no one takes responsibility for there own actions and damage it may cause.

You say you will only raft if it is safe and will not cause damage. Who is to be the sole judge of the damge, the one doing the rafting or the one being rafted to. Do you have adequate insurance to cover the damage and hardship you may cause or do you have very deep pockets? What if a power boat wake causes your masts to hang up and you do $50K worth of damage- are you prepared for that event. Accidents happen even when taking upmost care.

I would never raft without permission.