Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

On BC public docks , rafting is mandatory, and always has been. You have no right to stop anyone from rafting to you. If you dont want to be rafted up to, stay out of public docks and stay in private marinas.
VK540 likes this.
Old 10-17-2012

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Casey1999, I think your last post was referring to my post so in response I'll just say in my experience I have never seen firsthand a rafted boat damage another. This might be due to the extreme caution taken when rafting but I don't know for sure. What I have seen firsthand is boats dragging through anchorages, damage from one boat to another in side by side slips and boats falling over on the hard hitting the boat next to it. Granted rafting might not be practised as extensively as the other modes and so my experience might be biased but I do not think it puts other boats in undue peril if using a common sense approach.

Without empirical data I could not give an informed opinion on societal responsibility today as opposed to 70-100 years ago.

As far as litigiousness is concerned law in the States is refined by the courts hence the active jurisprudence.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Casey1999, I think your last post was referring to my post so in response I'll just say in my experience I have never seen firsthand a rafted boat damage another. This might be due to the extreme caution taken when rafting but I don't know for sure. What I have seen firsthand is boats dragging through anchorages, damage from one boat to another in side by side slips and boats falling over on the hard hitting the boat next to it. Granted rafting might not be practised as extensively as the other modes and so my experience might be biased but I do not think it puts other boats in undue peril if using a common sense approach.

Without empirical data I could not give an informed opinion on societal responsibility today as opposed to 70-100 years ago.

As far as litigiousness is concerned law in the States is refined by the courts hence the active jurisprudence.
My comment was based on this quote by you. I really don't care why, when and how you raft, as long as it is not next to me!

Originally Posted by rockDAWG

'It is only money, we can always make some more.'

Originally Posted by casey1999

'Try telling that to the mother of a starving baby in some third world country.'

Originally Posted by ScottUK:
"I will give it a shot when I raft up next to her yacht"
Old 10-17-2012

Don't know why you would take it personally. I just didn't understand why it was part of the narrative so I made a joke.
Old 10-17-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Don't know why you would take it personally. I just didn't understand why it was part of the narrative so I made a joke.
Seems your side of the pond has all the same arguments about rafting:
Mooring buoy and rafting up etiquette - Yachting and Boating World Forums

Aw, that was a joke, sorry I misunderstood.

This is thread #41 from above link- so damage does happen:

"We were once in a raft of 14 boats in Dunmore East in very windy conditions. The wind was blowing from almost directly ahead. We were about 7 out and had shore lines but not too many others did. After about a day the inside boat, probably about a 34 footer, moved outside because he was suffering major crushing damage.

I still have a composite photograph of the raft ahead of us. It was also 13 or 14 deep, but the outside boat was an enormous Austrian-flagged aluminium catamaran. It was probably twice the length of some of the inner boats."

Last edited by casey1999; 10-17-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2012

crstophr is on a distinguished road

I'm not at all in this situation but this discussion brings a question to mind... what do you do when you want to leave and someone is rafted up to you? If I'm the boat on the dock no a side tie and someone rafts up to me fine... but now what do I do when it's time for me to leave? If you're single handing how do you get your own boat free without setting the other boat adrift?

My biggest concerns would be people rafting up to a bow or stern pulpit or otherwise
Old 10-17-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

There is a whole thread somewhere on keeping "Zombies" off your boat...

Perhaps some of the same techniques would apply here...?
Old 10-17-2012

Casey1999 after a cursory review it would appear the most people are ok with the rafting and point out and ostracise the ones who aren't. The damaged boat you point out was at the end of 14 boats with a large cat on the outside and it was blowing shite so I think this case would have to be an exception. Never have rafted on a mooring ball though I think they had been directed there by the marina or harbour master.
Old 10-17-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crstophr View Post
I'm not at all in this situation but this discussion brings a question to mind... what do you do when you want to leave and someone is rafted up to you? If I'm the boat on the dock no a side tie and someone rafts up to me fine... but now what do I do when it's time for me to leave? If you're single handing how do you get your own boat free without setting the other boat adrift? My biggest concerns would be people rafting up to a bow or stern pulpit or otherwise
Covered earlier in the thread.
Old 10-17-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

The only place on the Chesapeake--not including regattas and the like--is in the Dismal Swamp Canal. The reason in the canal? Dockage is very limited, folks may have to stop overnight because of the opening schedule, and anchoring-out is not a legal or practical answer. Either accept rafting or don't take the canal.

My experiences were very polite; refusing would have been rude.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.