Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I still have yet to see an argument made that speaks to the fact that regardless of what you may desire at the moment (immediate parking for your pleasure boat), you are out there sailing by choice - and your desire to dock isn't an emergency or necessarily a situation that should give you easement rights over another private property.
While the dock may be public, the vessel you are commandeering and boarding in order to access that dock is not. It just strikes me as a very entitled attitude to have, again in light of the fact that you make the choice to potentially sail up to a dock that may not have the room to accommodate you.I don't see a justification (unless in an emergency) as to why you are entitled to park your boat at the risk and expense of another boater who got there first.?
I completely agree. Car parking is tight in SF (an understatement!). Let's just leave our keys in the ignition, pack the lot as tight as we can, and let whoever needs to leave, sort it out. Why not? You know darn well "why not"!
What happens if my "guest" (who I didn't know was on my boat) trips on a line, does a face plant into my cockpit and breaks his neck (could be drunk or just clumsy)? Does my insurance cover it, or was he trespassing? Was he preparing to raft a boat, or going shopping in my salon?
What if the rafting boat doesn't use fenders ("we're just dropping someone off") gouges the side of my boat in the surge, and leaves, without me even knowing they were there. Who do I look to for compensation?
Yet, I'm supposed to trust a person who I've never met, to board and handle my boat without my knowledge?
I certainly don't have a "Hinkely". However, I work hard to maintain the old boat I have. I find the concept that what would be considered trespassing on land, is acceptable at sea, nothing short of bizarre (regatta, and marina situations, not withstanding).
If I'm aboard, I'd do everything possible to accomidate them.

Last edited by L124C; 10-17-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
On BC public docks , rafting is mandatory, and always has been. You have no right to stop anyone from rafting to you. If you dont want to be rafted up to, stay out of public docks and stay in private marinas.
Wouldn't that only really logically apply where it is the custom to do so, and boaters who dock have fair warning so they can choose not to be rafted without forewarning?

Or do you believe that that ought to just apply anywhere, regardless of local custom?
Old 10-18-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

There are three kinds of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.

That said, this thread nets out to two groups: rafting is OK, and its my boat and you can't raft to it. I would suggest that local custom is mostly a result of necessity. In areas with lots of boats and not much dockage rafting becomes a custom. In the (paid) marina in Horta, Faisal, Azores every (paid) boat in the marina is rafted usually 3 deep. Getting the inside boat out of the nest with a three raft in front and behind is quite a trick. That is why everyone on the dock helps out. For those who say "they should anchor out" the anchorage is far to small to accommodate the boats that are rafted. When it gets a little dicey the inside boat gets pressed up against a concrete seawall. Not fun but it is the way it is. Usually the outside boats will contribute fenders for the inside boat but not always.

In Europe "med mooring" is common. One backs (or goes bow in) to a wall or pontoon with the other end of the boat (normally the bow) being held by an anchor. You are side by side with two other boats with no place to put lines and no dock. Although not the same as rafting many of the same concerns hold - what if he swings into me, what if our masts hit each other, etc. Med mooring has been a fact of life in Europe forever, most boats carry far more and bigger fenders than you would see in the US.

IMHO rafting at public docks is usually controlled by the dockmaster. In Jacksonville FL it is mandatory. In Savannah, GA it is prohibited (I believe to protect the docks which are not that strong and sit in a strong current.) Like others have noted I have a tag with my phone number on the boat so that people can call me. But not only have I come back from a provisioning trip to find someone rafted to my boat, I have come back to find my boat in a different place on the dock! I have been on board inside and heard footsteps on my boat only to discover that people from the next boat already docked are climbing on to make sure that someone rafting to me has a safe and damage free landing believing my boat to be unattended.

Custom can also override common sense. It has been noted that the custom is to cross the bow. On Reboot usually the bow has a dinghy, fuel tanks, etc. making crossing difficult. So I invite the people who are rafted to me to cross the cockpit. Do they? No, of course not. That would be rude. So they climb over all my shite on the bow!

Many have pointed out that they would raft with friends but not with strangers. I have solved this problem both as the rafter and the raftee. After we get the lines over, with particular emphasis on the spring lines to protect the spreaders and masts I say "do you want a beer?" Voila - now we are friends!

My two cents.
Faster, L124C, Bilgewater and 4 others like this.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

By the looks of all the dock rash on most boats, I can't believe you aren't at risk when a stranger rafts up next to you.
zeehag likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i have rafted and been rafted to--i do not like the cracks in the teak rail (now needing replacement, but there is no wood for this--is TEAK, 1X6Xalmost 10 feet)as a result nor do i enjoy the knitting of rigging with sailing boats lighter than mine when rafted in a surge/swell situation. rough water--i will not raft, thankyou--i have enough damage from those small boats who stated that "woudn't happen" to me, before cracking my teak rails.
i try to keep my anchoring away from others, and i will visit if and when i feel the need or urge to meet. having strangers near my boat disturbs my guard cat.

no, i am not mean, i am knowledgeable. btdt with rafting in a rough water situation. will not do that again. i even did it 2 times, to make sure it didnt work. so i have an open mind--just not to rafting against my boat or with it.

by the way--NO ONE has the RIGHT or PRIVILEGE to walk onto someone else's boat UNINVITED and without requesting permission to board the ship. (not learned from a yottie--but from an old salt merchant mariner/sailor)
L124C and chrisncate like this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 10-18-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Casey1999 after a cursory review it would appear the most people are ok with the rafting and point out and ostracise the ones who aren't. The damaged boat you point out was at the end of 14 boats with a large cat on the outside and it was blowing shite so I think this case would have to be an exception. Never have rafted on a mooring ball though I think they had been directed there by the marina or harbour master.
Yes, I read most of the thread also, that is why I posted.
Old 10-18-2012

anyone ostracising anyone else is no sailor of boats.
everyone has a different experience with everything-- because someone doesnt want to raft due to whatever reason, is a worthy opinion and not to be badmouthed--of course, if one is not a sailor, is very easy to point out what is , in their mind, bad and good ideas--lol but i think that is called trolling.

Last edited by zeehag; 10-18-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2012

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Zeehag, not sure if you read through the link in post #55 given your comment on ostracising. I'm also not sure if one old salt merchant mariner/sailor should be the final arbitrator on what is customary.
Old 10-18-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Why would anybody have the expectation of exclusive use for an unattended public dock or landing? Other boaters have the same right to the dock as you do given that there are no restrictions as to number of boats allowed to dock at any one time. If you do not want risk someone rafting to you on a public dock Ė do not leave your boat unattended and be willing to leave when the next boater wishes to land or dock. It is pretty simple. If you want exclusive use, you should be willing to pay for it by going to a guest dock where they charge you for the privilege.

Once, someone who was attempting to Med-moor alongside my (unattended) boat gouged my gel-cote. He was very diligent in contacting me and prompt in paying for my repairs. The sad fact of San Francisco Bay is there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 boats and only a few public (and free) docks. We also have few places to even anchor. The classic case in point is Samís in Tiburon. As to the Ferry building dock, what are time restrictions for tying up? Isnít the primary intension of the dock for dropping off and picking up crew and not for ďall day useĒ?
Faster, Bilgewater and ScottUK like this.
Old 10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Zeehag, not sure if you read through the link in post #55 given your comment on ostracising. I'm also not sure if one old salt merchant mariner/sailor should be the final arbitrator on what is customary.
customary is to await invitation to board someone else's boat or to have been invited--otherwise do not board.