Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats. - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 126 Old 10-18-2012

Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Quote:
customary is to await invitation to board someone else's boat or to have been invited--otherwise do not board.
Where rafting is customary I would say permission is implied.
Bilgewater likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 126 Old 10-18-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

then best be rafting only folks known to the boat owner or prior permission given, as is custom in some places wherein rafting is popular.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #73 of 126 Old 10-18-2012

Don't recall me or anyone else ever asking for permission when rafted to cross to get to the pier. Just my experience.
post #74 of 126 Old 10-18-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Why would anybody have the expectation of exclusive use for an unattended public dock or landing? Other boaters have the same right to the dock as you do given that there are no restrictions as to number of boats allowed to dock at any one time. If you do not want risk someone rafting to you on a public dock – do not leave your boat unattended and be willing to leave when the next boater wishes to land or dock. It is pretty simple. If you want exclusive use, you should be willing to pay for it by going to a guest dock where they charge you for the privilege. Once, someone who was attempting to Med-moor alongside my (unattended) boat gouged my gel-cote. He was very diligent in contacting me and prompt in paying for my repairs. The sad fact of San Francisco Bay is there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 boats and only a few public (and free) docks. We also have few places to even anchor. The classic case in point is Sam’s in Tiburon. As to the Ferry building dock, what are time restrictions for tying up? Isn’t the primary intension of the dock for dropping off and picking up crew and not for “all day use”?
As I recall the only posted restrictions at Pier 1.5 (the dock you refer to) are that it is open 6am to 10 pm, and no overnight docking is allowed. It's seems intended to allow boat crews access to the restaurants and shops on the Embarcadero as well as for pick up and drop off. It also has as a specific area for Water Taxis. During the super busy weekend I refer to in the OP, I used it Sat. (to go to a restaurant) and Sun. (for pick up and drop off) and never saw one water taxi. I have used it since it has been open, and space is rarely an issue. I have NEVER seen any boats rafted there (or any other public dock for that matter). I don't "expect exclusive rights" but think it is first come, first served. Nor was I aware that by docking there, I was granting implied rights, or an easement on my boat. I'm still not convinced that is the case (in the Bay Area anyway). The public dock between the Mariposa and Bayview YC's has a sign that states that any boats left unattended will be towed. At the public dock at Jack London, I think there is a posted 3 hour limit (never enforced, they are just happy to have you there!). I think Sam's is looser, as anyone docking there is likely to be on the deck overlooking the dock (or at least is Sam's).
One time, I couldn't get the boat into Sam's to drop someone off due to low water, so I dropped him off at the gated ferry dock and left. Turns out, the gate won't let anyone in or OUT without a key. He stood there for 40 minutes until the next Ferry came!
BTW - I did have a solar spot light I was charging "leave" the cockpit at 1.5. The same spotlight has spent years in my cockpit at various marinas. So...there clearly is a difference in environments (not that things don't disappear from marinas).

Last edited by L124C; 10-18-2012 at 05:27 PM.
post #75 of 126 Old 10-18-2012

I would think local laws, regs, customs would be the rule one should adhere to. But in any case, I do not think one should assume they can raft without permission unless it is a local law, regulation or custom to do so. If you are not sure if it proper to raft, then don't do it.

True you do not "own" a public dock, but you should have exclusive use of the space you occupy while you are there. And no one should have permission to touch your boat or tie to you unless you have given them permission to do so, or if is the local law, reg or custom (when in Rome, do as the Roman's do).

I look at it like a free on street public parking space. You have exclusive use of that space within the local laws, regs and customs. No one has the right to move your vehicle, to touch your vehicle, or to double park and block you in.
post #76 of 126 Old 10-18-2012

L124C, thanks for the info. I remember reading about the Ferry Building Pier in Latitude but couldn’t recall the details. From what I’ve seen sailing by, it gets a lot of surge from both the Bay and the ferries. Not my cup of tea. I just figured that it being managed by the City, it would have the same restrictions as Dock A at South Beach and the fuel dock at Gas House Cove. I did some internet sleuthing and found this gem on the OCSC website:

“Pier 1, open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day, only has a few rules – no rafting, no boats over 40 feet, and stays are limited to three hours are the biggies”

It seems to me that the City needs to do a better job at signage. You are absolutely right, no rafting, but unfortunately, you will have to be on your boat in order to enforce it. Now here is an ethical dilemma, upon returning to your boat and finding an unattended rafted boat, what do you do? Cut him loose? Wait and confront him? How do you know that he knew that he parked illegally? Perhaps he didn’t know? I have talked to boaters who like yourself, have suffered damage at that dock. They all said that docking there was a mistake and wouldn’t do it again. You are always at risk for theft if you leave your boat unattended at an unlocked public dock. We use Dock A for dropping off and picking up crew and when we have to leave the boat for any time at all we button her down tight.

The ramp at Bayview - what brings you down there? Did drop your boat off there to see a Giants game? Before they installed the second dock at Sam's there was rafting there. At Petaluma, if you are not Med-Moor'd you will be rafted on - especially on a three day weekend. I have seen rafts at Jack London (Scott's Seafood Dock), I don't know if they were all part of a group.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 10-18-2012 at 06:16 PM.
post #77 of 126 Old 10-18-2012

Parking a car is a very poor analogy Casey. There are always more parking spots or parkades within a few blocks, there rarely are more marinas or other docks to tie up at in the vicinity, at least here in BC. On top of that being rafted to does not effect your ability to leave unlike double parking. Here most of us expect people to raft. Some have used the term easement but that only applies to real estate. You'd have more luck using the trespass laws but in many cases that requires you to post a sign as we do at the dock in front of the house.
post #78 of 126 Old 10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by delite View Post
Parking a car is a very poor analogy Casey. There are always more parking spots or parkades within a few blocks, there rarely are more marinas or other docks to tie up at in the vicinity, at least here in BC. On top of that being rafted to does not effect your ability to leave unlike double parking. Here most of us expect people to raft. Some have used the term easement but that only applies to real estate. You'd have more luck using the trespass laws but in many cases that requires you to post a sign as we do at the dock in front of the house.
Where I live there is not more parking spots within a few blocks. Ever driven to a big sporting event and tried to find parking? If someone rafts to your boat, and you are single handing and no one around, it could very well effect your ability to leave- the same as if someone double parks you in (or blocks your driveway). Like I say, the local laws, regs and customs prevail, but parking analogy is good for me.
post #79 of 126 Old 10-18-2012

you pay good money to be rafted at block island whether you want to or not

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #80 of 126 Old 10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I would think local laws, regs, customs would be the rule one should adhere to...
I agree, with the exception of your "customs" wording. Try using the "It's the local custom" argument in the court of law when attempting to argue your position.

I keep hearing a lot of talk here about the right to raft given a public dock. Are you sure? I've searched high and low with regards to my own State's policy on this and haven't found squat. I'd be curious to see (link) other State's regs on this if they so exist.

Rob
Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.