SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

16K views 125 replies 46 participants last post by  L124C 
#1 · (Edited)
Had my boat tied up to a public dock over the weekend. Tied on Starboard, open water (with a lot of surge) on Port. We left the boat unattended for a while (no time limits, etc.). When we returned to the boat, from a distance, I thought I saw a guy jump on my boat, cross the cockpit to Port, then jump back to the dock on Starboard. As he walked toward me on the dock, I stopped him and said "Did I just see you on that boat (pointing to my boat)?" He said: "Yeah, (he pointed to another boat docking in a spot that just opened) we were going to raft up, but it didn't work out". I said "What the hell do you think you are doing jumping on someone else's boat?" He replied "Happens all the time." I said: "I strongly suggest you don't do it on THAT boat again!"
I have been involved in regattas, where, out of necessity, everyone is rafted up at the yacht club, and people come and go freely in the spirit of the event and YC environment. However, this was a public dock in the middle of a major metropolis (not even a marina). Had I been closer to the boat when I found him on it, he would have had a very unpleasant experience. It didn't even dawn on me until later that apparently, they were considering rafting up to my boat in major surge, without my permission. Had I found another boat rafted up to mine when I returned, well....I don't even want to think about it (I wouldn't let a friend raft up in that surge)!
How would you react in this situation? Am I overreacting, or did these guys have some brass?

See less See more
#112 ·
I have no experience with rafting up. But last weekend we paddled out to our boat on a mooring and it was gone!! :eek: We paddled anxiously all around and gave up and headed back, only to spot our boat near the shore on a mooring.

When I grew up we never considered messing with anyone's boat not in danger, it just wasn't done for any reason.

Someone actually moved our sailboat to a different mooring. I had her well secured to the mooring line, plus a second heavy line that went around the mast and to the mooring as a slack back up. Whoever moved it just left that line loose, and casually tied up the main line.

I agree that if I'd been there when that happened I would likely have been unpleasant! :hothead

#24 · (Edited)
I think they were picking up my "guest".
The surge was intense and as I indicated, I wouldn't consider rafting any boat in it. I'm not very experienced with rafting, and maybe I'm being a weenie, but this thread will give you some sense of the conditions (what can I say....it was an eventful weekend!)http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship/92913-boat-bondage.html

In addition, In my OP, I indicated for simplicity, there was open water to Port, (before being enlightened by this thread). In fact, another dock exists to Port, where large (200-300') Ferries/Charter boats live. Rafting two, certainly three boats to the public dock would be an issue for them.

In any case, this thread had certainly been an eye opener for me. Thanks for all your input (as always)!

#6 ·
Rafting is totally permitted/expected/at times required on most of our public docks. It's certainly considered courteous to ask permission if the owner's aboard, but in reality many of our public floats flat-out state rafting is to be expected.

We always fender outboard in expectation of possibly being rafted to while off on a shopping run.
No moorage fee discount for being three boats out either....

Here's the rafting we grew up with on BC's central coast!

#8 ·
Faster has it right...at least out here. We just raft up and walk across the other boat. It's actually quite necessary in many cases and pretty much common. If someone is on board I will ask, otherwise I just put out some fenders, raft up securing to his cleats and run extra lines to the float. But around here, everyone usually has fenders out on both sides for others to raft up. If it's a pleasure vessel we usually walk across the bow but if it's a commercial vessel it usually doesn't matter too much.

#9 ·
I don't think it is a big deal at all. It was a public dock, if you were not comfortable with someone rafting up you could have found a spot to anchor and dingy in to the dock. Most public docks can get quite busy. It is a good plan to put out fenders (perhaps even with a board across them to give you better protection). My thought is what do you do to the rafted boat when you want to leave? You obviously can't just let the lines go. I imagine they are supposed to have a radio with them if everyone leaves the boat. Just another reason to avoid the situation. It is considered best practice if crossing the boat to do it on the Bow, as it invades the privacy the least. I read that somewhere, but I don't remember where.

Now if they went down below while crossing your boat then I would have an issue.

#12 · (Edited)
My thought is what do you do to the rafted boat when you want to leave? You obviously can't just let the lines go. I imagine they are supposed to have a radio with them if everyone leaves the boat.
We just swing the vessels together so your vessel becomes the outside vessel. Or sometimes we will run a long line from the bow or stern of the outside vessel and back and around to someone standing on the float. Then we will sneak out and raft ahead. Then properly re-secure the other boat and head off. Quite often there are people around the help and pretty much everyone would know how to do this. You let the currents and wind work in your favour when doing this.

Edit: By the way, most people that use govt docks in this manner have phone numbers displayed so we would call that number and ask if they can help us get out. Otherwise the Wharfinger would be available during regular hours.

#10 ·
I don't mind at all if they know what they doing and no damage to my boat. In a pubic area, it is meant to share. If you fence off the first one, the second one may be even worse. Be nice and be kind will go long way.

Once I was taking a live-on -board 5 day sailing course. We dropped the anchor. Our instructor was on the deck fenced of anyone attempt to drop anchor within the 200 meters of our boat. He was a big guy standing on the edge of the boat starring with his war face to anyone motoring close to our boat. I said to myself, I wound never do that to another human being whatever they are on. Hassling while sailing is not what I want to do. Let's share, so everyone will have fun and be happy.

#25 · (Edited)
I don't mind at all if they know what they doing and no damage to my boat. In a pubic area, it is meant to share. If you fence off the first one, the second one may be even worse. Be nice and be kind will go long way.
With all due respect and in complete sincerity...those are some BIG "ifs", given the lack of competence and common sense I see in my marina on a regular basis.
I had no idea docking at a public dock made my boat public property, or an easement, any more than parking my car in a public parking lot.
If the dock was full when I arrived, I would ask an attended boat if I could raft, wait for a space or go elsewhere. I would never even consider boarding an unattended vessel or rafting up to same (the regatta environment I described in the OP notwithstanding) . I am "nice and kind" afforded proper respect. Short of that, I'm a bit like running into a chainsaw.
Anyway....I've been informed and warned, thanks for that!

#11 ·
L124, was this at San Francisco’s Ferry building dock? If I understand the scenario correctly, the other boat was going to raft up on your boat, but opted instead to tie up to the dock itself when a space opened up and his crew who was on your boat to help in the rafting process was in the act of getting off your boat? Is there a sign on the dock prohibiting rafting? If not, there isn’t much you can do. A public dock implies an easement. Way back when Sam’s in Tiburon had only one “public” dock, we tied up the o’l 22. Ate brunch, then ran over to Safeway to buy some snacks. When we got back we found that a 40’ powerboat was rafted outboard of us and the sailboat ahead. We did not appreciate being used as a rafting cushion but couldn’t find the owner at Sam’s (so much for the “patrons only signage”.) We passed his mooring line around us and cleated him off the dock the best we could as we broke out of the nest. We rarely tie up on public docks anymore. Moreover, when we do, we tie a fender on the water side of our boat just in case. “A” dock at South Beach is a long walk to the Ferry Building, but I believe it is free parking too. Rafting etiquette dictates that crew crossing from an outboard boat pass in front of the mast and not cut through the cockpit.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for asking this question, as it's something I wondered about. Rafting seems fairly rare in Washington State, where I sail most, except on very busy weekends, then you are usually warned when you dock. At least that's been my experience.

This spring we sailed up the west coast of Vancouver Island. When we got in to Tofino, cold, wet and tired, the harbor master said "You can raft up to that really nice, fancy wooden sailboat with no one on board" (*Paraphrased to add color*) but didn't offer to help. Without experience rafting, or knowing the educate, or the local customs, we where happy to find another small spot on the end of a dock we could tie up to.

Now that I have a *little* more experience, and know that it's customary in BC thanks to this thread, I won't freak out about it so much next time. :)

#16 ·
As far as rafting etiquette, what if a large boat wishes to raft against your more humble boat. Is there risk of crushing your bulkheads in a surge or strong broadside wind? The pic by faster with all the fishing boats rafted, seems the boats nearest to the dock will get severly compressed under the wrong conditions. Seems some major damage could be done under the wrond conditions. I never raft so have no experience.

#18 ·
It's true that the inside boat (esp in the situation of that fishing fleet raftup.. more on that in a bit) is heavily stressed. If a strong breeze had come up there that whole raft would have bent downwind, quite likely causing some issues for the inside boat and her lines.

It's not unusual to be rafted three deep at popular public docks (those with access to shopping, booze, showers etc) and you do need to be cognizant of the 'appropriateness' of rafting to any particular boat. Powerboats with extreme flair in the topsides are especially difficult for a sailboat to fender up against - the deck edge often seems to align with the tops of our stanchions. So we try to raft like-to-like (LOA and hull shape) Often, too, we end up rafting to non transient vessels typically neglected, or a mess on deck and crossing them is sometimes tricky business.

btw that pic is from the 50s, obviously.. the town is Ocean Falls BC.. a now largely abandoned paper mill company town. At its heyday over 1000 employees worked in the mill and up to 4-5000 residents lived there in a combination of company housing and private homes a mile or so away. At the end of a typical coastal fiord, it had (has) no road access - air or boat only. The more rugged cruiser set are making this a destination these days.. about 50-60 full timers still live there. The mill there operated from 1905 to 1981. In those days the fishermen fished 5 days/week... that's probably part of the reason that today they're lucky to fish 5 days/year.....;)

Reactions: casey1999 and L124C
#17 ·
In case of needing to raft a larger boat when a smaller one is tied to the dock you just reverse the proceedure that Bilgewater described and put yours on the dock and the smaller one outside...Never a great need to get twisted over...

#19 ·
People traipsing across your boat, people untying your boat, swinging your boat, retying your boat. Been there, done that. Ain't worth the liability, damage to your boat, fist fights, attitude, and dock-locked when you wanna leave in extreme rafting cases.

Nah, I drop the hook. It's a little more hassle, but but I forgo all of the above.

#20 ·
... as you should if that's how you feel.. but we have areas with access to supplies but no nearby anchoring available (depth, space, etc) If it's the only provisioning spot one's options become limited.

Another tactic might be to leave one person aboard, send the rest in by dinghy and wait/drift around to retrieve them afterwards.. we've done that too.

Reactions: davidpm
#21 ·
I would never raft up to a strangers boat without their consent! Having said that, if they had fenders out, I could consider that an invitation to raft!

Most of the rafting I have done is at yacht club outstations where there is always people to help out, and it is understood that it could happen while you are away from the boat. I am not sure I would be crazy about someone doing it at a public dock in my absence! I would certainly be unimpressed if they moved my boat to the outside of the raft!

And then there is the kind of raft we were in this summer! This one was rather challenging when the party was on the far end from our boat!

#31 · (Edited)
This is how it's done in the NE. Raft to a Hinckley, Morris, Lyman-Morse etc.. scratch it, and you likely just bought a 20k+ paint job!!!!:eek:

I find the behavior, without owner permission, rude but I agree it depends upon where you are and the local customs. I would not suggest trying it up here unless you know the other owner and have agreed upon it ahead of time. We simply circle and wait or anchor elsewhere and dinghy ashore. We generally avoid public docks anyway as the commercial guys often use them and, well, they are working we are playing. No skin of our back to anchor and take the dink in and let the guys work... When I used to move boats up and down the East coast / ICW for winter/summer deliveries it was not uncommon for us to stay on the boat and send another to shore when there was no good place to anchor and the town dock was a "rafter". Course we were often in 50+ foot behemoth's that would crush a small boat....

I think the bottom line is that if it was "customary" where the OP was then he/she would likely know about it and not be as upset. If it is not "customary" behavior then I think it is just rude when done without permission.

#27 ·
I wont' say I've never seen rafting around here. I have. However, I can't believe it would be done without permission. There are some marinas that will raft you, but tell you so. I would be upset to find anyone on my boat without permission.

While different, climbing through other dinghies to get to the dock is extremely common.

#33 ·
It does happen in my area of LIS.

The Wed. night racers approach you at 5 knots with one ugly fender dangling then unload their coolers and crew over your boat. At first is sorta bugged me, but now I just smile and lend them a hand.

Maybe it's just the uptight New Englander in us that makes us prone to freaking out over someone else touching our stuff :)

#28 ·
My understanding is that this is somewhat culturally driven. The "don't touch mine!" attitude is very American and an expression of our greater "personal space", and that rafting is more commonly accepted in Europe, Aus and NZ.

Hopefully if I'm wrong, someone from those areas will speak up and correct me.

For my part, I would not object to being rafted to by strangers at a public dock, so long as it was done correctly and with common sense. If damage were done, there'd be hell to pay for sure.

I like the tip about posting a mobile phone number in the window, so that potential rafters can contact me. I'll put that to use. :)

#42 ·
I like the tip about posting a mobile phone number in the window, so that potential rafters can contact me. I'll put that to use. :)
I put my cell number on the washboards at hatchway, that way if anyone needs to contact me they can.

I often see boats at the harbor that need attention (broken dock lines, slowly filling with water, ect.), it would be nice to be able to easily reach these people and ask if it is ok to "fix' their boat. I will fix it anyway, but I always like to ask permission to do anything to others property.

#29 ·
Public docks are free, you don't own what you don't pay for.
Maybe it's just me, but I never turn down a request to raft off me.

If I am at a public dock I expect to rafted off, especially if there are no other spots empty.

ICW has spots where rafting up is a must. Hard to anchor in a canal and there is only so much seawall to tie to - you expect late comers to idle back and forth overnight?

If the surge is such that you are bouncing around to the point of concern, why didn't you anchor off and dinghy in?
The answer is likely the same as the guy that wanted to raft off you.

#30 ·
I wouldn't do it without permission.

I also wouldn't go ballistic on someone for rafting up to me, especially if there's no harm done. The tone of your post makes me want to say, whoah, calm down, easy there. A little patience, understanding and friendliness can go a long way.

In that situation, I'd more than likely invite the guy to go ahead and raft up and join me for a beer.

#32 ·
Yea ive always wondered about raffting up seem cool to raft up with other boats. The problem with me is i don't know other people with boat and when i come into a anchorage and there rafting up i usally just pick up a mooring or fall back away from them and anchor off. around here u never see boats rafting up at a dock. Also theres uslally more room for a boat in from or in back. But there isn't any public docks so don't have to worry about transiting them.

#35 ·
My question about rafting is that since sailing and or docking aren't an emergency situation, and you choose at (and by) your own leisure to be out there, why is it so imperative that you be able to dock right this instant regardless of others property and parking privilege?

When we park a car in public, do we expect that if there is no parking spot available, we have the right to block the car in who actually got there first for parking, and walk across their hood?

I can't see how your desire to park your boat takes priority over someone else's property? What am I not seeing here, except that you really want to park your boat right this instant and other peoples property and parking don't matter at all?

#37 ·
My question about rafting is that since sailing and or docking aren't an emergency situation, and you choose at (and by) your own leisure to be out there, why is it so imperative that you be able to dock right this instant regardless of others property and parking privilege?

When we park a car in public, do we expect that if there is no parking spot available, we have the right to block the car in who actually got there first for parking, and walk across their hood?

I can't see how your desire to park your boat takes priority over someone else's property? What am I not seeing here, except that you really want to park your boat right this instant and other peoples property and parking don't matter at all?
I think the attitude in these locales is "There are limited public accomodations, and this is how we share them to accomdate as many people as possible".

Add to this, that the space is public. If it were paid, then I'd understand a disagreement.

Like I said, it's sort of a cultural thing. You disagree with it, because it's not generally accepted behavior here on the Chesapeake, except in social situations.

#36 ·
Driving and boating are different cultures. Double park and you're blocking a lane or a road... As boaters we have less restrictions on where we can go... Not sure the analogy holds up.

It's becoming quite clear that this practice has regional boundaries.

And it can cause problems.. Inconsiderate or ignorant rafters can cause grief and do damage. But even if you anchored off that same offender might Tbone you as they're leaving..

#38 ·
Chris,

In many locations there isn't a choice. One marine near me has about 100' of sea wall, and that's it. If you get there after its all gone you can either raft, or keep sailing to the next marine about 20 miles away. I promise you if you show up there on any weekend people will raft up against you, and will do so without asking. And tying up a dinghy to the outside will just result in the harbor master kicking your boat out of the marine.

As with most things there is an etiquette to rafting which should be followed, but other than that I can't see the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.