SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Joe Adams, Yacht Designer, Murdered in Philipines (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/93159-joe-adams-yacht-designer-murdered-philipines.html)

BentSailor 10-16-2012 08:42 PM

Joe Adams, Yacht Designer, Murdered in Philipines

Just heard this myself, from here. A sad and unnecessarily disturbing event.
Quote:

Mr Adams had his throat slashed and his body was found by his gardener, according to Philippines news website abc-cbnnews.com.

Mr Adams, 81, who designed the 1973 record-breaking Sydney-Hobart line honours winner Helsal, was a high-profile figure within the Australian yachting community.

Faster 10-16-2012 09:01 PM

Re: Joe Adams, Yacht Designer, Murdered in Philipines

That's a shame.. I've always admired his work. Not much detail in the story.. sad end for a legend.

SloopJonB 10-16-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BentSailor (Post 934558)
Mr Adams, 81, who designed the 1973 record-breaking Sydney-Hobart line honours winner Helsal, was a high-profile figure within the Australian yachting community.

As a side note to this tragedy, the boat referred to was ferro-cement - I daresay the only floating footpath ever to win a major sailing event (or ANY event for that matter). Speaks highly of his design abilities.

Classic30 10-16-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 934594)
As a side note to this tragedy, the boat referred to was ferro-cement - I daresay the only floating footpath ever to win a major sailing event (or ANY event for that matter). Speaks highly of his design abilities.

Yes.. well.. lets' just say he didn't limit himself to one material - like many designers do. Although most of his yacht designs were plastic, that didn't stop him designing extremely good steel yachts also... plus the odd floating footpath if he thought it might come to something. :)

Designed decades ago, the Adams 10 Meter is still one of the best-performing day-racers around, beating newer more expensive Archambaults, etc. on a regular basis, and is such a robust design that when scaled-up (Adams 20 Metre) it makes for a formidable and mighty quick pocket-maxi - "Helsal II" and "Hammer of Queensland" to name two. Speeds of +20kts on the open ocean was no problem for any of these yachts and an exhilarating ride it is!

With his huge range of cruising yachts, I daresay he was one of the most successful and most popular yacht designers of the 20th century and his loss will certainly be sorely felt by the yachting community.

Cherp 10-17-2012 05:04 AM

Very sad. A great designer. We have one of his Adams 12 cc cruising designs. There are a lot of boats designed by Joe in Australia.

tdw 10-17-2012 05:23 PM

Yes, JA designed some very fine boats indeed. Helsal I btw ended her days as a charter boat somewhere in the South Pacific before losing by knockout to a coral reef.

Anyone interested in the more modern Adam's designs should have a butchers at RADFORD YACHT DESIGN Home Page. Radford was once JA's partner and many of the boats that were originally Adams are on his site.