Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Joe Adams, Yacht Designer, Murdered in Philipines

Just heard this myself, from here. A sad and unnecessarily disturbing event.
Quote:
Mr Adams had his throat slashed and his body was found by his gardener, according to Philippines news website abc-cbnnews.com.

Mr Adams, 81, who designed the 1973 record-breaking Sydney-Hobart line honours winner Helsal, was a high-profile figure within the Australian yachting community.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Joe Adams, Yacht Designer, Murdered in Philipines

That's a shame.. I've always admired his work. Not much detail in the story.. sad end for a legend.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
Mr Adams, 81, who designed the 1973 record-breaking Sydney-Hobart line honours winner Helsal, was a high-profile figure within the Australian yachting community.
As a side note to this tragedy, the boat referred to was ferro-cement - I daresay the only floating footpath ever to win a major sailing event (or ANY event for that matter). Speaks highly of his design abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-16-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
As a side note to this tragedy, the boat referred to was ferro-cement - I daresay the only floating footpath ever to win a major sailing event (or ANY event for that matter). Speaks highly of his design abilities.
Yes.. well.. lets' just say he didn't limit himself to one material - like many designers do. Although most of his yacht designs were plastic, that didn't stop him designing extremely good steel yachts also... plus the odd floating footpath if he thought it might come to something.

Designed decades ago, the Adams 10 Meter is still one of the best-performing day-racers around, beating newer more expensive Archambaults, etc. on a regular basis, and is such a robust design that when scaled-up (Adams 20 Metre) it makes for a formidable and mighty quick pocket-maxi - "Helsal II" and "Hammer of Queensland" to name two. Speeds of +20kts on the open ocean was no problem for any of these yachts and an exhilarating ride it is!

With his huge range of cruising yachts, I daresay he was one of the most successful and most popular yacht designers of the 20th century and his loss will certainly be sorely felt by the yachting community.

Last edited by Classic30; 10-17-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2012
Cherp

Cherp is on a distinguished road

Very sad. A great designer. We have one of his Adams 12 cc cruising designs. There are a lot of boats designed by Joe in Australia.
Old 10-17-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Yes, JA designed some very fine boats indeed. Helsal I btw ended her days as a charter boat somewhere in the South Pacific before losing by knockout to a coral reef.

Anyone interested in the more modern Adam's designs should have a butchers at RADFORD YACHT DESIGN Home Page. Radford was once JA's partner and many of the boats that were originally Adams are on his site.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.