Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Critique This Cockpit

Quote:
Uh-oh, don't get me started on enclosures - they're meant for boats other than that one... Putting an oxygen tent on an Alden 45 would be akin to drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa... (grin)
So Alden 45 owners, having spent 500 - 800k are inherently waterproof or just plain too tough or too stupid to get in out of the rain and cold/heat and sun?
Old 10-17-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Don't like the lack of a chartplotter and depth at the helm. I agree sheets/winches should be further aft. Helmsmans seats outboard look gimicky.
JulieMor likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

Needs a joystick ;-)
Old 10-17-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
So Alden 45 owners, having spent 500 - 800k are inherently waterproof or just plain too tough or too stupid to get in out of the rain and cold/heat and sun?
Well, I won't presume to speak for any of the lucky owners of Aldens, but if I were ever to own such a beauty, I'd be loathe to spoil her aesthetics with something like a cockpit enclosure... And, I'd certainly be a bit hesitant to brand anyone as "stupid" for their reluctance to do so... (grin)

I realize I'm a dying breed, but I still prefer to do my sailing outdoors... Besides, there are still various options for those seeking protection from the elements, without having to resort to complete isolation from them... A bimini alone can afford a great deal of protection. And, even the simple enclosure of the cockpit from the lifelines down with weathercloths can offer an amazing degree of additional comfort...

One other method that has stood the test of time, is the appropriate use of something known as "clothing"...

Or another, decidedly more effective, is to make the switch to something known as a "trawler"... (grin)
Faster and BluemanSailor like this.
Old 10-17-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

WOW! The responses have been better than expected! If I were a boat builder or designer, I would take critiquing like this and use it to better my boats. So much thought put down here! You made me really take a hard look at what, on first look, just looked like a beautiful cockpit to me.

For those of you who guessed Alden, you're right. It's a 2002 Alden 43. The photo first caught my eye with the outboard seats. I tried to imagine being at the helm and sitting in them. They looked practical and comfortable.

Now that you got me thinking...

The auxiliary controls on the starboard side of the pedestal has a funnel-like extension under it leading to a stainless steel tube that looks like it runs through the deck. This setup pretty much eliminates any stepping room to starboard around the wheel. You'd have to step on the seat to enter or exit to starboard. The location of those controls would also eliminate mounting any instruments there. I don't know why such a large control was necessary for the auxiliary.

I love the look of the teak but I'm into low maintenance. I don't mind applying a finish so much as I mind removing it, sanding the wood, etc before applying the finish.

The aft seat lockers would be a little hard to access, considering one would be open and possibly block access from the other side, meaning you would have to be standing at one side or the other of the wheel to access it.

There's not much else I could add to what's been said here except to say to the designers and builders, "If you aren't tapping the wealth of knowledge that exists here, you're denying yourself a great opportunity to build a better boat."

Last edited by JulieMor; 10-17-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I love the look of the teak but I'm into low maintenance. I don't mind applying a finish so much as I mind removing it, sanding the wood, etc before applying the finish.
No reason whatsoever to "finish" any of the surface teak in that cockpit, in fact using any of the multitudes of Snake Oil Teak "Treatments" out there would be a big mistake... Any teak surface that will be stepped on should be left natural, period... The use of oil or anything else only serves to diminish teak's qualities as a non-skid material, in addition to opening up a can of worms regarding maintenance...

Don't take my word for it, but rather Rebecca Wittman's:

"Taking care of teak and other marine links."
Old 10-17-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

No need to check the link Jon. Your words are music to my ears.

I avoided sealing my back deck for decades. When it was about 22 years old I thought sealing it would give it some life. Within three months the sealant started peeling. It looked worse than it ever did. When we considered selling the house, we knew we would have to replace the decking. Stripping and sanding the old wood didn't seem worth it.

I'm a firm believer in natural so long as it will take the weather.
Old 10-17-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Naw they just spend another 500 to 800 on some really good foulies!

Now I could see a Bimini to keep away the cancer causing sun, but that would be my limit.

Those helm seats I am not sold on. For some reason they kind of look like toilet seats to me. If they were just a bit longer they might eliminate the need for a head below!
casey1999 likes this.
Old 10-17-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Julie solved the quiz by revealing it as a 2002 Alden. No doubt there has been some evolution to this this cockpit plan or the newer rendition in the past decade. Great input form all points. The first change I would make is putting myself at the helm From there, with ample funds, trades and skills, the rest would be accomplished.
Faster and JulieMor like this.
Old 10-17-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Needs cushions, bimini and moved to the back of the boat.