Critique This Cockpit - Page 8 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree38Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #71  
Old 10-20-2012
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,824
Thanks: 58
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Critique This Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Put a dodger / bimini on it and it might be hard to move around. Also, IMHO, too much wood to look after.
They do love their teak decks in Europe. It's optional on virtually all the boats built there.
__________________
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #72  
Old 10-20-2012
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,565
Thanks: 5
Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Critique This Cockpit

Jon E .... my biggest criticism of the Jeanneau cockpit is the length of the thing and i've never been a fan of raising the cockpit simply to shoehorn a double bed in underneath.
Shorten the thing by bringing the coachroof aft to that first step down, lower it overall so that as you say you step up onto the deck then its gets very close to receiving a tick from me.

Must say though that I am not a fan of those "cat's eye" windows. Purely personal opinion, just don't like the look of them. Perhaps that's me being shocked by the new.

Ref teak decks .... I'd never order a teak deck on a new boat though I'd be happy to pay to have the cockpit teaked. What does amaze me however is the appalling quality of the teak decks on modern production boats. If that is the best they can do then I'd rather not thank you very much.

btw ... i was critical of Hanse cockpits in a previous but looking at their latest with the fold up platform they are really pretty good. Shame about the Ikea down below.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #73  
Old 10-21-2012
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,184
Thanks: 21
Thanked 98 Times in 81 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Critique This Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Jon E .... my biggest criticism of the Jeanneau cockpit is the length of the thing and i've never been a fan of raising the cockpit simply to shoehorn a double bed in underneath.
Shorten the thing by bringing the coachroof aft to that first step down, lower it overall so that as you say you step up onto the deck then its gets very close to receiving a tick from me.

Must say though that I am not a fan of those "cat's eye" windows. Purely personal opinion, just don't like the look of them. Perhaps that's me being shocked by the new.

Ref teak decks .... I'd never order a teak deck on a new boat though I'd be happy to pay to have the cockpit teaked. What does amaze me however is the appalling quality of the teak decks on modern production boats. If that is the best they can do then I'd rather not thank you very much.

btw ... i was critical of Hanse cockpits in a previous but looking at their latest with the fold up platform they are really pretty good. Shame about the Ikea down below.
Hi Andrews,

Builders do the boats people want. I agree with you that putting sailors up, further away from the boat CG is a bad idea in what regards sea motion and comfort if the things get nasty but if they don't do that they will mot be able to get the high for those beautiful master bedrooms. Anyway most of the guys that buy those boats are very unlikely to sail on tough weather. I am not saying the boat cannot take it, in fact I am sure the boat can take more than most sailors can handle, it will just be more uncomfortable.

Anyway, as you know we cannot blame jeanneau because they offer, for the ones that take that in consideration a line of boats with lower cockpits, boats that have not that master cabin but will be more comfortable in rough weather.

But regarding that it is very funny that I see people complaining about the more uncomfortable sea motion of deck saloons but I don't see people complaining about the worse sea motion in center cockpit boats, the other way to have a big master's bedroom. They too put sailors away from CG. They have some advantages because sailors are more on the center of the boat and that will make pitching movements a bit better than on a DS but regarding lateral movements (the worse for comfort) it is just the same.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #74  
Old 10-21-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,729
Thanks: 0
Thanked 134 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 4
JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Critique This Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

But regarding that it is very funny that I see people complaining about the more uncomfortable sea motion of deck saloons but I don't see people complaining about the worse sea motion in center cockpit boats, the other way to have a big master's bedroom. They too put sailors away from CG. They have some advantages because sailors are more on the center of the boat and that will make pitching movements a bit better than on a DS but regarding lateral movements (the worse for comfort) it is just the same.

Regards

Paulo
Well, I'll complain about center cockpits, if you'd like... (grin) You're right, of course, the increased elevation above the water will exaggerate the motion and discomfort from rolling, and in my view often compromise security and safety... There's a pretty good reason we're only seeing flybridge cockpits/helms on multihulls, at least for the time being...



I've mentioned it before, but as sharp and sexy as those twin wheels can be aboard many of today's broad-beamed boats that carry their beam all the way aft, they have the downside of placing the helmsman in the most exposed position, subject to the most motion at one of the corners of the floating triangle... In fact, the only worse place for the helm on such a boat, at least in purely geometric terms and the consequences thereof, would be right up at the bow... (grin)
chef2sail and JulieMor like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #75  
Old 10-21-2012
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Critique This Cockpit

I invite every one to do a 3 day passage in the cockpit of my soverel 28 and then go back and critique that cockpit again!
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 10-21-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #76  
Old 10-21-2012
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,184
Thanks: 21
Thanked 98 Times in 81 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Critique This Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
...
I've mentioned it before, but as sharp and sexy as those twin wheels can be aboard many of today's broad-beamed boats that carry their beam all the way aft, they have the downside of placing the helmsman in the most exposed position, subject to the most motion at one of the corners of the floating triangle... In fact, the only worse place for the helm on such a boat, at least in purely geometric terms and the consequences thereof, would be right up at the bow... (grin)
Well, I agree. There is a trade off for everything and the best designers are not stupid and those beamy large transom boats boats did not born in a design board of some crazy designer. They have born along many years of design adapting solo racing boats to the needs of solo sailing and the biggest need of a solo sailor is an easy boat. Because most cruising boats are practically solo sailed what has been learned on those boats have been slowly incorporated in the design of cruising boats, many times by the same designers.

You are absolutely right regarding movement. Of course you don't have to be there to steer the boat but that is the most logical place since it is where you can see better where you are going, even if most cruisers actually use the autopilot (with a hand held command) and sail from the middle of the cockpit.

The advantages of that type of shape for cruisers are many (and that's why it is a major trend in modern cruising boats): The boat is a much more stable platform, it sails at max efficiency with very little heel (17% against the 30% of a narrow boat) and roll a lot less and that is specially important when sailing downwind.

The disadvantages are a lesser and more uncomfortable performance on upwind sailing (most of the cruisers when they want to go against the wind use the engine) and as you say more movement if you sail the boat from one of the corners of the transom.

Regarding the two wheels they offer the important and additional advantage to be able move much easily and safely forward to reach the winches, or to come back from the cockpit to the wheel if needed (with the boat is on autopilot).

I know that you have said:

" I've always thought the ergonomics of the bigger J-Boats cockpits was very good, but on CIELITA, there's no way to get behind the wheel without stepping up onto the deck momentarily, then back down into the cockpit again... Not good for a boat going offshore, but apparently Ned felt the tradeoff for the oversized wheel was worth it..."


But that trade off is an important one and it is the possibility of sailing the boat comfortably from the lateral side and that's a must for all that like to take the wheel for a long time, specially if the boat goes upwind heeled: It is just the best place.

Everything is a trade off in boat design and you have to pick your choice accordingly with your sailing needs but have no doubt, boats like the new Hanse, Benetwau, Bavaria or Jeanneau are adapted to the needs of most sailors, otherwise they would not all be following the same general trend. They all want to sail many sailboats and to do that they have ti adapt their boats for the needs of most sailors.

I prefer other type of boats but then I don't do what most cruisers do with their sailboats and I bet that is also your case even if I am also sure that what is appropriated for you is not for me

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #77  
Old 10-21-2012
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,565
Thanks: 5
Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Critique This Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi Andrews,

Builders do the boats people want. I agree with you that putting sailors up, further away from the boat CG is a bad idea in what regards sea motion and comfort if the things get nasty but if they don't do that they will mot be able to get the high for those beautiful master bedrooms. Anyway most of the guys that buy those boats are very unlikely to sail on tough weather. I am not saying the boat cannot take it, in fact I am sure the boat can take more than most sailors can handle, it will just be more uncomfortable.

Anyway, as you know we cannot blame jeanneau because they offer, for the ones that take that in consideration a line of boats with lower cockpits, boats that have not that master cabin but will be more comfortable in rough weather.

But regarding that it is very funny that I see people complaining about the more uncomfortable sea motion of deck saloons but I don't see people complaining about the worse sea motion in center cockpit boats, the other way to have a big master's bedroom. They too put sailors away from CG. They have some advantages because sailors are more on the center of the boat and that will make pitching movements a bit better than on a DS but regarding lateral movements (the worse for comfort) it is just the same.

Regards

Paulo
The popularity of centre cockpits is surely down to the same reason as the popularity of raised aft cockpits and that is the bed issue. I can well appreciate why a person would prefer a full size easily accessed vaguely rectangular bed over a v-berth but in the back of my fuzzy wee head is a little voice yelling "it's a small sailing boat for FFS .... ".

Lets face it we do carry about the silliest trifles when it comes to what we want in a boat. I confess that I like a boat that pushs the V-berth a bit aft giving plenty of width at the head to enable sleeping head forward. Indeed it gives the advantage of sleeping closer to anchor chain and while the occasional rumble may disturb one's rest I'd rather have made a couple of circuits of the deck in the middle of the night to satisfy myself re drag than not hear anything at all.

Apart from all that, five minutes spent on deck looking up at the stars is worth waking up for and it is interesting overall that we spend so little time (mea culpa, mea culpa, ) discussing decent sea berths and the rigging of lee clothes. Perhaps that is best kept for another thread ? Coming right up.

Andrew B
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailnet - critique my solar project. night0wl Electrical Systems 10 09-05-2012 10:45 PM
Please critique my charging schematic sfbaysailing Gear & Maintenance 29 05-01-2012 01:43 AM
Center Cockpit Versus Aft Cockpit BlueWaterBlair General Discussion (sailing related) 58 03-19-2012 12:35 PM
Critique this mooring setup! dvuyxx Gear & Maintenance 12 04-26-2010 08:04 PM
New wiring diagram- please critique! funjohnson Electrical Systems 33 03-23-2010 06:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.