Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Critique This Cockpit

What do you like? Don't like? Would change? Would keep?

Bonus question: What boat this is from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Critique This Cockpit

Love the outboard helm seats.. but would like to see some strategic foot rests inboard. Like the large wheel (without needing a trough).. decent lounging seating forward, not so great across the back with the contoured sections for sitting when heeled - but I'd pretty well always be in the seat pods.

Also like the aft winches being accessible to the helmsperson. Personally I'd order it without the teak.
RichH and JulieMor like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Except for the coaming seats and the arched helm seat it's virtually identical to the cockpit in my old Columbia 43.

Works very well and is very comfortable.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 10-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Same basic set up as my 37c . Oversize wheel, I sit on a teak board instead of the curved seat My autopilot control is in the same place only on port. I dont like it there to easy to butt dial course changes. Nice layout gives options for seating.
Old 10-16-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road

Not a fan of the arch in the seat (my boat is like this) would prefer a flat seat. Also would like a smaller wheel. Getting around the wheel will be a pain when at anchor/dock.
JulieMor likes this.
Old 10-16-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Like the port/starboard helmsman seats... wheel is big (good), wheel is fixed (bad)... folding wheel (retrofit)would make that better, making it easier to get around when you are anchored. Under sail, that large wheel is nice.

Seat backs are too vertical as said, but very large (good)... I LOVE the teak look, but would personally hate the teak work.

Overall a very classy layout.
JulieMor likes this.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Depends on its use. Is this for partying, chesapeake bay, coastal, blue water.
Where are the scuppers to drain the water? How low is the sill leading to he cabin?
Ultimately for me any concern I have is only about safety. 1000 people will have 1000 preferences on what they want like or don't want. I don't see the point, that's the way the builders have built it. If they way they have built it is and it is deemed unsafe, then I would not buy the boat. Safety first.

Secondly, I have been reading posts in many threads ridiculing what people are finding important at the boat shows as being superficial not looking t the true guts of the boat. Isn't that what we are doing here with a small view of snap shot of a center cockpit sailboat which looks pricy.

Thirdly, who cares if the winches are not made for single handing if you don't singlehand.

Lastly, as was previously said a boat must have a wow factor to the buyer or a personal feeling, chi I think is was you called it. When I bought my boat it did for me. I still feel it when we are out on her. I beleive that chi is a one person feeling or karma. If it doesn't do it or you, enough said. If you can modify the cockpit to fit your liking for its use do it. If not then move on. If you are experienced have someone custom build you boat to all your important requirements.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-16-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
What do you like? Don't like? Would change? Would keep?

Bonus question: What boat this is from?
Pretty nice, but it's missing a traveler and mainsheet, so the helmsman can sail the boat...

That engine control is in a really bad spot, should be tucked away somewhere outboard, or at least have an easily removeable lever. (Doesn't look like the type, however) And, there's no bridgedeck, you'd need to configure some stout replacement to prevent the possibility of downflooding if the boat is gonna go places... Emergency tiller is gonna be pretty short, no surprise there...

That teak shouldn't require nearly the amount of maintenance many people fear... Let it go silver, and treat it regularly with a 30% bleach solution, that's all it takes...

Looks like an Alden to me... If so, she'd likely be so beautifully balanced, you might be able to get rid of that damn wheel, and go with a "proper" tiller... (grin)
jameswilson29 and JulieMor like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-16-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Not enough drinks holders and there'd better be an ice box hidden under one of them seats
NateKing and JulieMor like this.

Old 10-16-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I don't particularly like the formed seats. I like to sit and steer from the leeward side when beating..If I'm in that seat, there's nothing between me and the lifelines..

You can walk forward from behind the wheel without having to step up and stand on the cockpit seats, particularly on the starboard side where the throttle is.

I don't like the instrument location on the starboard side of the helmsmans seat, it would be right where I like to put my back when I sit in the cockpit ( But that could easily be relocated)

I can't make out what those two stainless steel protrusions are on the starboard side of the passenger seat but they are going to bite someone.
JulieMor likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.