Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Team Oracle Boat Capsizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
If you are referring to the capsize in the Aug World Series Fleet race, it was actually Spithill (#4). I know because it happened right in front of me.
When I watched this last weekend I thought it was Spithill I remembered capaizing:

When I Googled it to make sure, I read it was Coutts. Maybe that referred to this one back in June:

Whatever the case, I had no problem finding videos on the web of AC capsizes. And the America's Cup has no problems selling that to the public.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
You mean like "Pro Wrestling"?
I mean like Nascar
sailwatcher and JulieMor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-19-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Maybe time to consider some rethink on forward buoyancy / spoon bows etc, On the other hand ,it's great for entertainment of the armchair viewer and the sales of chips and beer. This is a bit past barnstorming in a biplane and I doubt the leaders care what the hicks think.
Old 10-20-2012

YorktownSailor65 is on a distinguished road

It was scary (and painful) enough pitchpoling a 19' Nacra catamaran.
Doing the same thing in a 45' or 72' cat must be terrifying, not to mention bone-crunching and body wrecking.

I think the AC started getting out of control when the guys from "Down Under" built the aircraft carrier and the USA countered with the first AC catamaran, Stars & Stripes.

The old 12-meter rule was getting old and outdated.
AC45's brought a lot of attention to sailing in general and to the Americas Cup in particular. Certainly we can come up with a "Happy Medium" somewhere in there?
One Design racing is fun and exciting. There are monohulls that are infinitely safer than the monster AC 45 and 72 cats.

It seems much of the interest in big cats is the same as NASCAR or rubberneckers driving past a serious accident on the interstate:
People are watching just to see the next big "crash" and nothing more.

How many of the people watching the AC recently with their IPods, Droids, Robots, Ipads and Clock-radios actually know the difference between a tiller and a boom? Could they identify a batten if it were thrown at them like a javelin? Do they know that sailboats haven't always been built from Carbon Fiber and sails from Kevlar, Mylar and Carbon? Most of them wouldn't know the difference between a 3/4 ounce "Chicken Chute" and a Cruising Spinnaker if their lives depended on it...

Do any of them actually know the longest winning streak in sporting history ended with the loss by the US in 1983 and the controversy surrounding Austrailia II's wing keel?

I seriously doubt it...
sneuman likes this.
Old 10-20-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownSailor65 View Post
How many of the people watching the AC recently with their IPods, Droids, Robots, Ipads and Clock-radios actually know the difference between a tiller and a boom? Could they identify a batten if it were thrown at them like a javelin? Do they know that sailboats haven't always been built from Carbon Fiber and sails from Kevlar, Mylar and Carbon? Most of them wouldn't know the difference between a 3/4 ounce "Chicken Chute" and a Cruising Spinnaker if their lives depended on it...

Do any of them actually know the longest winning streak in sporting history ended with the loss by the US in 1983 and the controversy surrounding Austrailia II's wing keel?

I seriously doubt it...
None of that matters. They're watching. And they're watching because it's exciting. And it's exciting because it's fast. And it's fast because the general notion of "safety" is second to speed. That's the bleeding edge - and that's where the AC should be.

Everything else is just nostalgia for what used to be a very boring sport.
L124C likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-20-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownSailor65 View Post

I seriously doubt it...

Well, I do know. Watching 12-meters was like watching grass grow. I would be happy to watch it in any high-performance boat--mono or multi--but it better be planing, foiling, flying a hull, or SOMETHING. Otherwise, I might as well just watch good club racing, which by the way is dull as dirt if you're not on board.
L124C likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 10-21-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
None of that matters. They're watching. And they're watching because it's exciting. And it's exciting because it's fast. And it's fast because the general notion of "safety" is second to speed. That's the bleeding edge - and that's where the AC should be. Everything else is just nostalgia for what used to be a very boring sport.
I agree. Not to mention, it excites the kids, and makes them want to know more about sailing. Any way you look at it...thats good for the kids and the sport!
Old 10-21-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When I watched this last weekend I thought it was Spithill I remembered capsizing: When I Googled it to make sure, I read it was Coutts. Maybe that referred to this one back in June:.
Yeah...That was the first endo (as far as I know) when they were first practicing on the 45's a year ago. Coutts went through the wing.
Quote:
Whatever the case, I had no problem finding videos on the web of AC capsizes. And the America's Cup has no problems selling that to the public.
Funny you should say that. Call it Machiavellian, but when I saw the Spithill 45 endo, it occured to me that it might have been staged for drama (the crowd went crazy!). Reason being, no one even fell off and Spithill was sitting pretty the standings. If any team could afford to "take one for the AC", "sit one out" (or, more accurately, lay on their side) it was Spithill. The reason I've ruled that out is the proximity of Spithill's wing to Artemus. It almost came down on Artemus which obviously could have been a disaster. If they were going to stage it, they would have given themselves more room.
Old 10-22-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

We'll Win The Cup - YouTube
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-22-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Nothing's faster than a 72' Hobie.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40