Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: First Experience Crewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
First of all, I didn't "tell" anyone to do anything. I told others what we were doing and what has worked for us. No need to misrepresent what I posted.

Secondly, physicians are trained in disease management and not nutrition. I would urge anyone and everyone to actively learn what they need to know to keep themselves healthy. All the research that anyone could ever want to read is available to everyone these days. There is no reason why people cannot learn what they need to do on their own.
But you are passing out dose and frequency of baking soda of your research to others. It is just plain wrong without any credential. I am sorry an EE degree would not cut it.

I have no problem that everyone being proactive on their well being, like yourself. But it must be guided by sound principle. Without the basis understand of human physiology, the principle of homeostasis in mammals, your research wont go far.

Taking sodium Bicarbonate on the daily basis even at low doses will lead to long problem in life, high blood pressure, fluid retention. congestion heart failure, kidney stone, increase the adverse effect of many prescription drugs, plus many many more.

In the last 40 years, doctors have advised their patients to cut down the salts of their diet and limit their daily intake of sodium. It must have a reason. There is also why AMA and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics fail to endorse daily intake of Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda).

I am sorry that I have offended you. May be you are a bit overreacting but this is nothing personal. But this is a scientific fact is well documented in medical text books and peer reviewer medical journals.

Dave and I have a long conflict in the past. He will take every opportunity he sees to throw gasoline in the fire. I don't have much respect of him. He shoveled his ideas into my throat for years, he makes sure I use his name when I get to the marinas. All his helps are so self serving. I refuse to be his "lap dog". So that is his revenge. A bit silly for an grown man if you ask me.

It is your choice from here.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Anyway... To stop the flamers, if anyone else would like any more information on Baking Soda and other things that we've found, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share what we have learned in our quest to become healthy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 10-19-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Sounds like an awesome weekend.

I am mildly confused, however, about why there is such a ruckus about baking soda yet not one person mentioned the obvious health risks inherent in a diet consisting of sausage and steak!
chef2sail and tomperanteau like this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 10-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Dawg,

You entered the thread after Tom and I had already been conversing. In your typical way insulting the OP as is your history. When you get called on that you respond with your typical Modus operendi insulting others

I do not have to stand for your insults as a llap dog does.

We all know your reputation here from previous posts and have observed your lack of civility to others.

Your long periods of silence on SN give us all a rest from the arrogant braggadocio as well as lack of temperance you dispay to fellow sailors in the sailing community here. Many have we have come to expect this from your posts.

Maybe someday when you finally purchase a sailboat you will fully understand and experience the true commitment ( time wise, and financial) to sailing which many others have here in maintaining, and enjoying on a regular basis our passion and OUR vessels and each others different expertise. Only then will you understand that insulting others regularly does not build sailing comradiere.

I continue to hold hope out you will change you attitude. My offer still stands to meet with me or others and join in person at our various get togethers held here frequently in the Chessie area you live. Maybe then you might understand how fellow sailors treat each other with mutual admiration and respect. I am not holding my breath though.
tomperanteau likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-20-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Tom,

Isn't worth the aggregation. I ignore him. He is an expert at all master of none. Isn't willing to buy a sailboat, but will make pronouncements on others. Just ignore him.
Huh?

Anyway, you would think that Mr. Peranteau would not so easily be offended, given that he invites controversy by signing off every post with a ludicrous statement that is liable to tick off at least half of the country. Very "charming."

Not important, though. I am off to work on my boat (yes, I do have a boat).
Old 10-20-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

watched alkalinity kill too many folks to agree with the benefits of baking soda in system--as with potassium,there is a very narrow band of acid-alkali that body can tolerate. too much of either=death. have fun with this. i have seen this happen, as an er and as an icu rn. be careful, as trends are murder.

my first crew experience was age 7 on a gaff rigged sloop on hudson river. only crewed a few times since then---last time was gulf o fmexico, 11 months, before that, carib 1 month, before that, a few years sailing with a former friend from lost angeles to catalina, did help deliver a 43 kettenburg for a friend X4--san diego - ensenada, sd-lost angels, etc....now i get to seek crew....

your article was fun! thankyou for sharing.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Last edited by zeehag; 10-20-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
watched alkalinity kill too many folks to agree with the benefits of baking soda in system--as with potassium,there is a very narrow band of acid-alkali that body can tolerate. too much of either=death. have fun with this. i have seen this happen, as an er and as an icu rn. be careful, as trends are murder.

my first crew experience was age 7 on a gaff rigged sloop on hudson river. only crewed a few times since then---last time was gulf o fmexico, 11 months, before that, carib 1 month, before that, a few years sailing with a former friend from lost angeles to catalina, did help deliver a 43 kettenburg for a friend X4--san diego - ensenada, sd-lost angels, etc....now i get to seek crew....

your article was fun! thankyou for sharing.
I agree and you have to monitor your system for pH. We use pH strips and monitor saliva and urine every day to make sure that we are within range.

I used to catch colds at least once a year, and the flu every other year. I have not been sick in over 2.5 years now even though the kids have been.

I'd like to hear more about your experience with seeing people die from alkalinity.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 10-20-2012

some years ago during code blue situations, advanced life support included sodium bicarbonate injections to de-acidify system as and after the lungs acidified them---the alkalinity became a problem and folks died--of course, we dont know if they woulda lived at all--they were quite alkaline.

Old 10-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I don't like what's in his signature either but he has first amedment right, as you do to speak against it.

Dave
tomperanteau likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-21-2012

some may find the signature offensive, but some people might agree with the words stated. but, then, is a political statement, and all politix and all politicians belong in same pot. but not all of the people actually say so. and even that can be considered offensive...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.