Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Re: First Experience Crewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
some years ago during code blue situations, advanced life support included sodium bicarbonate injections to de-acidify system as and after the lungs acidified them---the alkalinity became a problem and folks died--of course, we dont know if they woulda lived at all--they were quite alkaline.

I have no idea how or why anyone would want to inject baking soda or anything else. That sound like a ridiculous idea. We take a quarter teaspoon a day in four to eight ounces of filtered water. We've been doing this for some time now, and the health benefits to us have been tremendous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

pharmaceutical injectable bicarb in premeasured syringes of 50 ml used to be a standard in acls. is no longer a part of it. no one else would inject it.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 10-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've noticed that baking soda is rapidly becoming the latest craze as a cure-all. I was recently talking to a sort of survivalist type - he lived in a floating community of like minded steel boat owners. He was extolling the virtues of baking soda and an alkaline body as an anti-cancer agent. He also claimed to have four PhD's (by age 40).

I've done exactly zero research on the subject but any time I hear about a particular substance having magical curative and longevity powers my scatological radar goes into overdrive.

Usually I hear such stories from elderly married women.

George Burns, when he was in his late 90's and still performing, had a great line. He'd light up one of his trademark stogies and say;

"My doctors have been telling me for years that I have to quit smoking these things, but they're all dead now."

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-22-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I am still doing research on the baking soda supplement, but it sounds good to me and will also recommend to my aging parents whom have joint problems and often get colds- worth a try.

The thing that surprises me are the reports from some posters that report taking a total of 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda a day could kill you. I find that a little hard to believe. I mean look at all the chemicals and additive we take in a day. Drinking a soda must make your body very acidic and yet we seemed to chemically balance it out. I would think if our bodies were so sensitive to acids and alkalies that we would be dropping off like flies. You think about it though the human body (or any living animal) is a pretty amazing thing to keep working after all that is put into it- a high tech chemical lab.

If you see my postd stopping if a few weeks it means I was overcome by baking soda...
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.